PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Conned into giving survey to vendor

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    cooltt wrote: »
    Let me cut through the noise for you.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to any party involved in this, NOTHING.

It's a bitter pill we know, nobody has done anything wrong, learn the lesson and move on.

Someone very clearly HAS "done something wrong" - ie the vendor has pulled a stunt on OP. But - I suspect there is nothing legally that can be done/no way to get any compensation out of Naughty Vendor for doing that one.

They're coming over as a try-on merchant - two EA's for a start-off (ie all the better to do "divide and rule" with).

Yep...I get that OP is livid (and rightfully so) and so would I be in their position. They've had a con run on them and fallen for it:(:mad:

But - I'd advise that the best way to deal with this is to think that = It's more fool them (ie about the tricky vendor) and a great peace descends when one realises that "I don't have to get even with them and await my opportunity for that - as the Universe will dish out appropriate karma for having pulled that one on me and I hope I'll find out what that karma was at some point - but I don't have to take action myself to ensure there is payback for that". At that point you can drop the anger and get on with your life - and just hope you do find out what specific way the "wheels grind exceedingly slow - but they DO grind" at some point.

Peace descends - as they won't "get away with it" somewhere or other along the line. You can get on with your life.
  • ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Someone very clearly HAS "done something wrong" - ie the vendor has pulled a stunt on OP. But - I suspect there is nothing legally that can be done/no way to get any compensation out of Naughty Vendor for doing that one.

They're coming over as a try-on merchant - two EA's for a start-off (ie all the better to do "divide and rule" with).

Yep...I get that OP is livid (and rightfully so) and so would I be in their position. They've had a con run on them and fallen for it:(:mad:

But - I'd advise that the best way to deal with this is to think that = It's more fool them (ie about the tricky vendor) and a great peace descends when one realises that "I don't have to get even with them and await my opportunity for that - as the Universe will dish out appropriate karma for having pulled that one on me and I hope I'll find out what that karma was at some point - but I don't have to take action myself to ensure there is payback for that". At that point you can drop the anger and get on with your life - and just hope you do find out what specific way the "wheels grind exceedingly slow - but they DO grind" at some point.

Peace descends - as they won't "get away with it" somewhere or other along the line. You can get on with your life.

Good advise
  • DaveyCrockett
    Options
    Sadly survey was £600. And we were concerned re survey results as it was built in 1865 and heard a few horror stories, so I am sure the new buyers had their fears allayed.
    At the very least this thread may come up in an internet search in the future and mean someone else doesn!!!8217;t make our mistake.
    Just to give the whole picture, the vendor was very sly, he insisted a survey was booked in before he would take the property off the market, so we rushed it rather than go through the normal procedures.

Should have realised what he was like when I had to pretend to the other EA that I was someone else wanting a viewing post offer acceptance to prove he was still allowing viewings!!!55357;!!!56873;.
  • ric1982
    Options
    Sadly survey was £600. And we were concerned re survey results as it was built in 1865 and heard a few horror stories, so I am sure the new buyers had their fears allayed.
    At the very least this thread may come up in an internet search in the future and mean someone else doesn!!!8217;t make our mistake.
    Just to give the whole picture, the vendor was very sly, he insisted a survey was booked in before he would take the property off the market, so we rushed it rather than go through the normal procedures.

Should have realised what he was like when I had to pretend to the other EA that I was someone else wanting a viewing post offer acceptance to prove he was still allowing viewings!!!55357;!!!56873;.

Not sure how it comes against this forum's policy but would name and shame via rightmove url here, incase if comes back on the market others be warned?
    Options
    I've not seen any rules against doing this.

So - I think I'd probably do so in OP's position - ie give the details of the house.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    How do you know the vendor never looked at the report, thought it would cost too much to put right and so accepted a lower offer with no hassle from another buyer?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ric1982
    Options
    Thats a valid point. But alarm bell starts ringing when vendor asks to book a survey to take the property off the market!
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Not really.

A lot of vendors won't take their property off the market until you show that you're committed, for example by having a survey.
    Options
    [QUOTE=DaveyCrockett;74272763
    2 days later we have been told the vendor has sold to someone else, supposedly viewers from some while ago who are cash buyers so he is not interested in counter offers.

As the vendor had marketed with 2 EAs he was able to do things via the other EA without our knowledge.

We had already caught him out with accepting viewings after accepting our offer, which was contingent on him taking the property off the market, from the other EA (once we found out the property was removed from Rightmove).

We have been informed by our solicitor that despite accepting the offer from us 3 weeks ago nothing apart from the initial acceptance letter had been sent to her. .[/QUOTE]

Sounds like enough proof to me of what the vendor was up to.
  • ric1982
    edited 11 May 2018 at 4:42PM
    Options
    I guess that's fair but commitment is two way street. Can't expect buyer to shell out costs and allow vendor to mess around. Sorry but the vendor sounds dishonest.

Edit: What I am saying is that vendor should have sent draft contract as showing commitment at his end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure