Flo 2.0

Options

Comments

• Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you’re feeling a lot better now Flo.

I’m the same as you re weight. I’m tall so people never think I weigh quite as much as I do! But I’m certainly in the obese range now. Am making 2018 the year I finally lose it, for my health’s sake if for nothing else! Are you going to use a slimming class or just count calories? I’m on Week 2 of the 5:2. Seems to be going ok so far.

Hi SSG, I'm not doing a slimming club as I can't afford it and would rather spend the money on the gym or exercise classes rather than a club where if you do have a gain one week they look at you with a look of total confusion and pity and make me feel really patronised (can you tell I have been there and done that?)

I need to exercise more, I'm relatively active, but don't do the recommended weekly amount most of the time.

Diet is a big issue.

My OH is stick thin and has a large appetite and loves chocolate. I put on a lot of weight when I first met him because I was matching his eating pattern. This was years ago though. I generally can take or leave chocolate, but out house is packed with it because OH can't go a meal time without some. And some of it finds it's way into my belly...

The other trouble is OH doesn't cook and is a very fussy eater and our dinners are limited to something we will both eat. It also doesn't help that I am a pescatarian and OH eats meat and hates fish. This means our dinners tend to be calorific things.

I have finally realised that diet is the key and the Flo household is undergoing a major rehaul. We are now going to have 1 night a week with a meal something along the lines of peppers stuffed with cauliflower rice (which OH can dress up with chicken nuggets or something to fill him up) and once OH realises he isn't going to starve to death then we will make it 2 nights a week, and gradually introduce a much healthier mix of foods.

I bought Tom Kerridge's new book 'Lose Weight for Good' because I like the BBC TV series.

I have been taking books out from the library about diets and healthy living because I am a boffin/keener/smarty pants and my gut instinct when faced with a problem is to research the hell out of it. One book I read was about the 5:2 diet and I don't think it is for me as I tend to faint if I have low blood sugar but there did seem to be some good points to it that I can see would work for a lot of people.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Florence_J
    Options
    :hello: hello Flo, happy new diary

Hiya! Thanks for stopping by!
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Some good ideas there Flo. It’s must be difficult dieting if there are two of you with different dietary requirements so I feel for you. Mind you I live on my own and find it hard - there’s hardly any food I dont like so though I eat lots of healthy things, I also eat lots of things like cheese and chocolate!:D Portion size is also a problem!

I like the Tom Kerridge programme too - his recipes look delicious. I’m a convert now to the way he roasts his mince! I think I will treat myself to his book too. :)
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Florence_J
    Options
    I think the cook book is a good price in Sainsbury's, so if you have any Nectar points you could grab yourself a bargain!

I like the look of roasting mince but I suspect it won't be the same with Quorn mince :D
  • Florence_J
    Options
    I think part of my problem with my weight is I have a fear of hunger, which stems from the poverty years when I was growing up and the cats ate better then we humans did.

I also restrained my eating severely on and off from when I was 10 until I was 17, and my mum as well as being an alcoholic was also anorexic so I never really learnt any healthy eating behaviours.

Did a meal plan for the next week which includes a Slimming world meal and the aforementioned stuffed peppers. With have so much veg in the house right now but I know it is all going to be used in good time.

Had veggie lasagne for tea, not Tom Kerridge style, but did pack in a lot of veg, and we had veg on the side.
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    I’m sorry to hear of your fear of hunger and how it has affected you. It must have been awful for you as a child :grouphug:

I was looking at the Iceland website as Sun Addict recommended their cauliflower rice. It comes in four portion sizes and is £2. I’m going to get some. Their Slimming World meals look good too!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the dire fear of being hungry when you were wee.
    SAdly no food banks then.
    (Sad there are today too)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jemreading
    Options
    Hey Flo, happy new diary! :D

I'm with you on the food issue re: not liking the same thing. My OH loves fish and would eat it everyday but I have difficulty with the smell and texture! We also have the added pressure of following a low FODMAP diet as my OH has been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. We'll have to be super creative with the meals!
  • Florence_J
    Options
    Hi everyone, thank you for all your replies.

All the veg got eaten, yeahs!

My official weigh in is Saturdays, but I have liked what the scales have been saying this week. I am a member of the losing weight the old style way thread so use that as a free version of slimming world.

I am having a bit of a problem with our house. We have terrible damp and mould in several areas of the house. Part of this was caused by a hole in the front wall, which has now been fixed, but a lot of the walls are still affected and in the hall and under the window in our bedroom the wall paper has fallen off it is so wet.

We have heard from our letting agency that they have reported all this to the landlords who have said they only feel the work can be done when the property is vacated. Which seems to suggest the work will be done when we move out.

The problem is for some reason (well actually it's pretty apparent why now) our house is very cheap and in my limited research into similar sized properties in this area they are generally about £800 a month, whereas we currently pay £550 a month.

I can barely afford my living expenses now on my income, let alone a rent increase if we move, and it would certainly delay paying my debts by my 30th birthday. But I cannot let my OH, who has always hated this house, and who is badly affected by the mould, live like this anymore.

Which makes me think I need to get a part time job, on top of my full time job.

I have seen one which I want to apply for, it's only 4 hours on saturday and sunday each, but it means I would be working 7 days a week for who knows how long.

I'm not sure I can even do this in the very short term, but I also feel immense guilt that my OH has to live in a house he hates because I can't afford to move.

I know it would be bad for my physical and mental health to work all the time, but I don't know if I can't afford to not do it, at least for a little while.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Do landlords not have to adhere to a certain level of maintenance? As a short term solution, are you able to use a dehumidifier?
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family