PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mine warms up in less than that - it depends on how warm you want it, but earlier it came on for about 10 minutes.

Mine has got MUCH better since I had some work done on it recently (splitting into two zones) and the plumber balanced it properly.
  • smeeth
    smeeth Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I didn't choose the 15 minute timeframe, that was just when it reached the set temperature & clicked off. Brought it up a few degrees & took the chill off = perfect
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!:beer:
  • We have brought some kindling and logs indoors for the first time since the warmer weather started in the spring, we're supposed to go down to 5C tonight and although I don't expect we WILL light up the woodstove it will mean that the fuel for the first burn in maybe a couple of weeks time will be nicely dry and ready to warm the chimney. I put a quilt on He Who Knows half of the bed today too (we have single quilts because we like different weights of covers) in case he's not warm enough. I've also been out on the patio this afternoon and tidied up and cut down all my pots of herbs which had died back and are sprouting again, particularly the different mints. I'll overwinter them in a sheltered spot and hopefully will have nice healthy plants again next spring.
  • Hello, winter-prepping newbie here :santa2: I've been reading through the thread for inspiration, and have a question about lining curtains with fleece (I'm also a sewing newbie).

Our living room is freezing in the winter, and has a fairly big window. Were I to buy some fleece to line the curtains, do you think I would get away with tacking it on firmly, so that I can remove it in the spring? Or would it really need running through a sewing machine?

TIA x
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]£715[/STRIKE] £220
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£889 [/STRIKE] £1,089.33
    Loan: £1450 [STRIKE]£50[/STRIKE] £50
  • Pin it on with safety pins at the top where the tape is, easiest and cheapest way to have removable fleeces and because it faces the outside you won't see it and no one looking in will see the safety pins because they'll be above the top of the glass! Cheapest source of fleece is Ikea if you are near one, they do single bed sized fleece throws in many colours including cream for £3.
  • Pin it on with safety pins at the top where the tape is, easiest and cheapest way to have removable fleeces and because it faces the outside you won't see it and no one looking in will see the safety pins because they'll be above the top of the glass! Cheapest source of fleece is Ikea if you are near one, they do single bed sized fleece throws in many colours including cream for £3.

Thank you for the reply and advice :) Hadn't thought about safety pins, and I have hundreds of them lying about (somewhere...). And for the IKEA tip, nearly out of meatballs in the freezer, so will definitely have to plan a visit :cool:
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]£715[/STRIKE] £220
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£889 [/STRIKE] £1,089.33
    Loan: £1450 [STRIKE]£50[/STRIKE] £50
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I buy fleece by the metre online. I've used curtain wire and plastic curtain rings sewn on to the fleece to make a layer of curtain that can be drawn separately.

I've lit the fire... it's not cold enough to turn the heating on, but its nice to have the fire to take the chill off. First evening this year I've felt the need for it.
  • smeeth
    smeeth Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello, winter-prepping newbie here :santa2: I've been reading through the thread for inspiration, and have a question about lining curtains with fleece (I'm also a sewing newbie).

Our living room is freezing in the winter, and has a fairly big window. Were I to buy some fleece to line the curtains, do you think I would get away with tacking it on firmly, so that I can remove it in the spring? Or would it really need running through a sewing machine?

TIA x

Welcome :j
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!:beer:
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for the info on the soot, I shall make sure I ask the sweep next time.

The temperature has dropped nicely here in the past couple of days and tonight feels particularly fresh with a gorgeously clear sky. A great night for star gazing and DH is ensconced in his observatory with a hot drink and woolly hat.....I'm not quite as brace and am enjoying the comforts of the sofa with a patchwork throw that I finished earlier today.....it's attracted a couple of cats too so I've got my own furry, perry, hot water bottles.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Might be a silly question but how on earth does central heating warm anywhere in 15 mins

We had a new boiler last year, and now our home warms up remarkably in 15 minutes. The radiators are warm within 5 minutes now.

With the old boiler we had no chance, it took about half an hour to feel any warmth on the radiators with that!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback