PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ending Tenancy/Rent Payment

Hi Everyone

Just looking for a bit of advice...

We are currently renting unfurnished property, our lease was short assured tenenacy from 13th March 2017 until 13th September 2017, after that it is re-newed on a month by month basis until one of us gives the other party two months notice.

We handed in our notice on 2nd August 2018 with a leaving date of 12th September (6 weeks I know not the 8 weeks that we signed for as this would mean we would pay rent on 13th August to cover us until 12th September and we thought that was easiest). The landlord has basically said that due to the notice of 8 weeks that is required we would have to pay rent to cover us until 13th October.

The issue we have is that we leave for our honeymoon on 17th September and do not return until 9th October hence why we would like our furniture etc to be moved before we go away. If we gave the correct notice period we would technically be able to move out the property on 27th September as that is 8 weeks from the date we issued written notice.

So my question is: I should only be making a payment on 13th September to cover us until 27th August (15 Days/£300) and not a full moths rent (£600).?

Obviously I have no issues with adhering to the 8 weeks as we did sign the contract, but we would still be moving our stuff out on the 12th Sept regardless.

Comments

• RAH25_2
    RAH25_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    And now I'm thinking is two months notice from the written date of notice (2nd August) 8 weeks or would it be 2nd October?
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Notice usually runs from a rent payment date so if your rent is paid on the 13th of every month and you gave notice on the 2nd of August then you have to pay until the middle of October. You can, of course, move your things out sooner but you have to pay the rent.

Check what your contract says.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Notice usually runs from a rent payment date so if your rent is paid on the 13th of every month and you gave notice on the 2nd of August then you have to pay until the middle of October. You can, of course, move your things out sooner but you have to pay the rent.

Check what your contract says.

No it doesn't. Tenancy periods are based on the tenancy start date not the date the rent is paid on although sometimes it will be the same.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    RAH25 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Just looking for a bit of advice...

We are currently renting unfurnished property, our lease was short assured tenenacy from 13th March 2017 until 13th September 2017, after that it is re-newed on a month by month basis until one of us gives the other party two months notice.

We handed in our notice on 2nd August 2018 with a leaving date of 12th September (6 weeks I know not the 8 weeks that we signed for as this would mean we would pay rent on 13th August to cover us until 12th September and we thought that was easiest). The landlord has basically said that due to the notice of 8 weeks that is required we would have to pay rent to cover us until 13th October.

The issue we have is that we leave for our honeymoon on 17th September and do not return until 9th October hence why we would like our furniture etc to be moved before we go away. If we gave the correct notice period we would technically be able to move out the property on 27th September as that is 8 weeks from the date we issued written notice.

So my question is: I should only be making a payment on 13th September to cover us until 27th August (15 Days/£300) and not a full moths rent (£600).?

Obviously I have no issues with adhering to the 8 weeks as we did sign the contract, but we would still be moving our stuff out on the 12th Sept regardless.

Are you sure the initial fixed term ran from 13th March 2017 to 13th September 2017 because that would be 6 months plus 1 day not 6 months.

Where are you getting 8 weeks from? Is it a contractual periodic tenancy that you have rather than a statutory periodic tenancy? Could you please quote the exact wording in your tenancy agreement?
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    No it doesn't. Tenancy periods are based on the tenancy start date not the date the rent is paid on although sometimes it will be the same.

Yes, you're right. I knew they were often the same and I sometimes get mixed up as to which one is The One.

My overall point still stands.
  • If your tenancy is fixed until 12th September, you don't need to give notice. Just move out by that date.
  • If your tenancy is fixed until 12th September, you don't need to give notice. Just move out by that date.

The initial fixed term was until Sept 2017 now rolling
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business