All change - jargon to be removed from train tickets - MSE News

Train firms will remove jargon such as 'London terminals' and 'any permitted' from tickets on 100,000s of routes next month...
Read the full story:
'All change - jargon to be removed from train tickets'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So, rather than printing it on the ticket, where it is then clear exact!y what it is that you have bought, the information will be provided on a website which you are unlikely to read. Yet more dumbing down of everything.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This makes no sense. The information referred to is actually useful, indeed crucial, for understanding what journeys a ticket is valid for.

I'm not sure what's jargon-ish about "Any permitted" route for starters, that's any route that's permitted. I'm also not sure what's jargon-ish about "London Terminals" - what constitutes a "London Terminal" is freely available information, if not obvious to anyone with a basic understanding of what London and a terminal are.

Utter nonsense.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    First step to reducing flexibility - instead of a choice of routes (and stations in London) only one will be offered.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    I'm not sure what's jargon-ish about "Any permitted" route for starters, that's any route that's permitted. .
    Any permitted is jargon and not very helpful. What a passenger needs is something specific to their journey.

If you have a ticket from Reading to Brighton, say, any permitted gives no useful information at all. Via London, via Guildford or via London or Guildford tell the passenger their choices.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    JezR wrote: »
    First step to reducing flexibility - instead of a choice of routes (and stations in London) only one will be offered.

Agreed, as "London Terminals" is 'hard' to understand it will probably be made simple to just saying one station.

For example a ticket from my local station to London is valid into Paddington/Waterloo/Victoria/Charing Cross/City Thameslink/Cannon Street/London Bridge etc, my fear is that it will be replaced with a nice simple "London Waterloo", where if you want to carry on towards Charing Cross you have to pay extra.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Ian011 wrote: »
    So, rather than printing it on the ticket, where it is then clear exact!y what it is that you have bought, the information will be provided on a website which you are unlikely to read. Yet more dumbing down of everything.

But we have a situation now where a ticket I regularly use says "any permitted route". I've searched and been unable to find a list of the permitted routes, so at least the new plans will bring some clarity. Some things do need dumbing down.
  • pmduk wrote: »
    But we have a situation now where a ticket I regularly use says "any permitted route". I've searched and been unable to find a list of the permitted routes, so at least the new plans will bring some clarity. Some things do need dumbing down.

There is a site where you can find the info you need but it's incredibly awkward to use. I think it's probably aimed more at people who work in the industry but I fail to see why they couldn't have designed a user friendly version for the general public. The information is all there but spread across various bits of the website.

http://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    I see there are many replies questioning if this could lead to erosion of our rights and doubting if it will actually make things simpler.

I firmly agree with those concerns.

pmduk wrote: »
    You can find out if a route is permitted by searching the National Rail website (or any ticket booking website) and see if you can get an itinerary that is valid on one ticket for the journey you wish to make.

If you book a particular journey online, you can obtain a travel itinerary which will be evidence that the route you wish to take is a permitted route; production of the itinerary on your booking confirmation email is evidence of a contract.

If you want to find a particularly convoluted route, there are websites that offer up to 3 via points and up to 3 avoid locations, such as Trainsplit.

There is a site where you can find the info you need but it's incredibly awkward to use. I think it's probably aimed more at people who work in the industry but I fail to see why they couldn't have designed a user friendly version for the general public. The information is all there but spread across various bits of the website.

http://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide
    Yes, that site is very much intended for experts within the rail industry or people wishing to learn the inner workings of it.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Getting rid of London Terminals on the ticket is a good idea. The amount of people who think it means they can travel to any underground station is enormous. And then get abusive when it's pointed out to them that it's a National Rail ticket and not valid on the underground.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    Getting rid of London Terminals on the ticket is a good idea.
    Are you sure it's a good idea? What would you do for the following examples:
    • Edinburgh to London;
    • Oxford to London;
    • Ashford Intl to London.
    These examples are currently valid into numerous terminals, and I do not see how you could possibly come up with a viable proposal that does not reduce passenger rights.
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    The amount of people who think it means they can travel to any underground station is enormous. And then get abusive when it's pointed out to them that it's a National Rail ticket and not valid on the underground.
    I doubt this applies to any more than a tiny minority of passengers; I do not think you can come up with any solution that reduces the number of abusive passengers to zero, as that tiny minority will find something else to be abusive about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure