How to keep going for the last couple of years

Options

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I found an app for my phone that counted down the number of working days. It is called Countdown. It allows you to set the number of days holiday you are allowed per year, and bank holidays, so that it tells you exactly how many more days you have to go to work. It is a bit daunting at first, and may not be helpful until you have less than a year to go, but it did cheer me up.

My later career made work a chore for me. I was not well suited to the roles I was qualified for, but it was well paid, and this, combined with saving hard, allowed me to retire before I was 55.

I was worked diligently, but when frustrations arose, I would remind myself that I only needed to keep going for so long.

Keeping yourself busy with projects at home in the run up to retirement is also a good idea. You are working towards your goal.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any chance you could go part time - say four days a week, giving yourself a long weekend in which to pursue things you find more interesting than your current job?

Alternatively, and possibly wishful thinking, have you considered getting a different job - possibly one which isn't quite so well paid but would be tolerable for 3 years rather than just 2, which would also fit with your wife's aspirations not to leap into full retirement?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JoeEngland wrote: »
    TBH the weather is crap most of the time anywhere in the UK

Oh what rubbish. We don't all live in Manchester or Glasgow.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Oh what rubbish. We don't all live in Manchester or Glasgow.

Neither do I.
  • JoeEngland
    Options
    Marcon wrote: »
    Any chance you could go part time - say four days a week, giving yourself a long weekend in which to pursue things you find more interesting than your current job?

Alternatively, and possibly wishful thinking, have you considered getting a different job - possibly one which isn't quite so well paid but would be tolerable for 3 years rather than just 2, which would also fit with your wife's aspirations not to leap into full retirement?

Recently I dropped down to 90% of FT and have a day off every fortnight. Unfortunately my fixed term contract finishes at the end of Aug, so I may have to go back to FT when I find a new job either with my current employer or a new one. The organisation I work for is quite good at allowing reduced hours, but most places want you to be FT when working in IT.

We need to spend more money on the house over the next 12 months and have a few foreign holidays booked, so I need to keep bringing in good money for that. I might reassess what to do once we've got the house stuff finished though.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Weather is something we'll need to consider in where to move to. TBH the weather is crap most of the time anywhere in the UK, the real summer we're having now is the kind of thing that only happens every 5 or so years. Anglesey appeals to me as it's not densely populated, has some great scenery and the rest of North Wales is close by.

A good choice (guess which neck of the woods I live in ;) ) There are some really great places up here. I would be wary of Anglesey, it's probably too rural for a lot of people. I'd do more than one long weekend there to make sure it'll be viable for you. If you were to stay on the mainland, your Mrs. will have a better chance of continued employment, not only for more jobs than on the island, but also less of a requirement to be bilingual.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,004 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have a plan to early retire in two years. Hopefully soon after that we'll put the house on the market as we need cash from buying a cheaper property, and I'm looking forward to living somewhere more rural.

For a few years I've been finding it difficult to stay motivated at work, but it's getting worse now and even two years more feels like a long time. I'm trying to focus on short-term goals such as holidays and getting various jobs on the house done. What is the experience of others in the last few years leading up to retirement, especially those for whom work is a chore rather than a passion?

You could look at it like this - whilst you only have 2 years to get through, I have 7 :eek:

I blame this forum - it made me realise that escape was possible at 55 2 years ago and since then I have been counting the days :(
    I think....
  • JoeEngland
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    A good choice (guess which neck of the woods I live in ;) ) There are some really great places up here. I would be wary of Anglesey, it's probably too rural for a lot of people. I'd do more than one long weekend there to make sure it'll be viable for you. If you were to stay on the mainland, your Mrs. will have a better chance of continued employment, not only for more jobs than on the island, but also less of a requirement to be bilingual.

Rural is good for me, but that's a good point about jobs. A few weeks back I had a quick look on a jobs board and there weren't many jobs on Anglesey, but at least the mainland is nearby. Are there any rural areas on the mainland that you'd recommend I look into?
  • atilla
    atilla Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In a similar position myself now.
    12 months ago i went over the funds and figures with the IFA regarding knocking it all on the head from round about now.
    Being busy for the last 6-9 months so that helped buid up a bit of a cushion. Those projects have now finished and i realised i really can't be a***d with work now.
    In that position where i now have to convince myself to knock work on the head.
    Luckily i'm self employed so no employment issues to deal with.
    Due a chat with my accountant for year end books and one with the IFA.

If they give the nod figures wise, i reckon my days of work will soon be over.
  • JoeEngland
    Options
    atilla wrote: »
    In a similar position myself now.
    12 months ago i went over the funds and figures with the IFA regarding knocking it all on the head from round about now.
    Being busy for the last 6-9 months so that helped buid up a bit of a cushion. Those projects have now finished and i realised i really can't be a***d with work now.
    In that position where i now have to convince myself to knock work on the head.
    Luckily i'm self employed so no employment issues to deal with.
    Due a chat with my accountant for year end books and one with the IFA.

If they give the nod figures wise, i reckon my days of work will soon be over.

Good luck with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport