PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Receiving post meant for neighbours that don't actually live in the building. Illegal living?

Options
Shortcake18
Shortcake18 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 6 July 2018 at 10:43AM in House buying, renting & selling
Sorry if this is in the wrong place , wasnt sure exactly where to post it!

My husband and I live in a basement flat which weve been in for three years. Our upstairs Romanian neighbours moved in about a year ago, and from day one have had very large gatherings and parties about once a month until 3am in the morning (always on a monday night it seems). Weve met them plenty of times and they seem like a nice couple. However the longer they live there, the more footsteps we hear. Initially it was just the two of them, then they had 2 family members come and stay for what seemed like an age, then another family member turned up, and over the last few months theres been regular noise and now theres a kid that runs around on occasion. This is all fine, in general, I'm sure they have a lot of family that come and stay. However.. The last few weeks, weve been receiving mail, all addressed to our flat addressed to people with foreign names. We opened the first couple that arrived thinking maybe it was for a very old tenant in the same flat, but its all recently sent stuff, including specsavers, child benefit, and a car registration certificate. All the named people on these letters and envelopes do not live in the building - but all the mail is going to the same address. I am thinking that they may have assumed that the address they are having post sent to is listed as A as they are on the first floor, but... if they dont live there, why would they get post sent there?i did a bit of snooping on FB and the people named on the letters all seem to be FB friends with one of the actual tenants there . I know I shouldnt have opened the mail but initially it through me off so I did. Then the other day they had ANOTHER massive flat party which kept us awake and I started thinking maybe they are sub letting up there without permission. Its only a one bed flat. I don't intend on snitching on them, as I don't want to be responsible for getting people evicted. But I feel that something suss is going on, and with all the mail that's suddenly arriving under these new names , to our flat, I'm guessing they are not playing very well at whatever game they are playing! I'm happy to live and let live, but after the huge house party the other night Im starting to lose my temper at the lack of consideration for anyone else who lives in the building and what they might be getting away with. I dont know if they are even breaking any laws or taking liberties, but its just unsettling . I'm going to RTS the mail as I dont want our flat being used to send mail topeople who apparently live there.

Its all just a bit weird. I like the couple who live there, but I'm becoming uncomfortable seeing many different men and women coming and going at all hours up our pathway to the landing and hearing them thundering around on our ceiling.

What is there to do or not do - should i just get over it and live and let live, or should I rightly be suspicious.? I dont even know what advice I'm looking for, but I just needed to vent about the situation and I'm not sure what to do.

Comments

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Return the post unopened back through the postal system marked

"return to sender,not at this address"
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If it's specifically addressed to your flat, put it back in the post box marked 'not at this address' (not just 'RTS'). Personally, I would take it further if there were lots of them staying there. Before someone starts throwing the 'racist' label or 'why mention Romanian', it does seem very common and we also had two lots of neighbours who did the same thing, and a friend of mine has had them move into a flat near her with more and more turn up. It would really depend on how much it affected me. Wasn't much in my old house so I ignored it and just said hello to anyone I'd see around who appeared to be living there.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is there to do or not do - should i just get over it and live and let live, or should I rightly be suspicious.? I dont even know what advice I'm looking for, but I just needed to vent about the situation and I'm not sure what to do.

Every good citizen should report any wrongdoing. You dont know who lives where, but if you get post that is not yours, do as 'need an answer' says and put it back in the postal system.
  • kay0601
    kay0601 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    If they're renting then surely the landlord would appreciate knowing they're potentially subletting? Also, if there's lots of unrelated people in there then the council might be interested too?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 July 2018 at 3:21PM
    Options
    I was also thinking of informing the landlord.

When the noise massively increased in the house next to me, it turned out eventually that with the nice family who lived there the older sensible adults had returned to their home country and the younger ones who stayed had sublet some of the rooms. 14 adults in a 4 bedroom house masquerading as Party Central.

The landlord was fuming when he found out because he said if the council considered it an unregistered HMO he'd be the one landed with the huge fine. He chucked out the unofficial tenants and made it clear to the rest that if I complained about any other issues they'd be out as well. They've been model neighbours since.

Helps if you know the landlord, obviously.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    Illegal living? Can it be illegal to live?
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I would report this to the police, first and foremost as a noise complaint. It's completely unreasonable to make so much noise and you have been way too tolerant. Personally, I wouldn't inform the landlord because the landlord doesn't have an obligation to keep things anonymous, but that's up to you.

With the post, it's worth noting that there is a huge amount of financial crime committed by Romanian nationals in Europe (it being a country in the EU that has relatively little AML protection). If this is happening, you could find you get dragged in by association, having the same address, and find that you suddenly get refused credit or it's difficult to set up bank accounts. Not saying this is definitely happening, but something is definitely not right in getting benefits letters addressed to people who don't live there.

Honestly assuming you are renting it might just be easiest to move.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure