Taxing a car as new keeper

Options

Comments

• Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I changed my car and could not tax it online even using the green slip I had to wait for the new V5 and then did it without an Issue
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    Options
    Tammykitty wrote: »
    I just think its more difficult than it needs to be - its all the DVA now, so why does NI need a different process than GB? (Sedulous - I am from Northern Ireland, that's why I posted it in the NI forum)
    Sorry, not paying attention. Just clicked through from new posts and didn't notice which subforum it was in!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I changed my car and could not tax it online even using the green slip I had to wait for the new V5 and then did it without an Issue

Did you do it online with the new V5?
  • Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just changed my wife's car, rang the insurer the day before and asked for an email copy of the certificate which I printed out and took to the Post Office with the new keeper section of the V5, taxed in 3 minutes flat. You do need the insurance cover note though and it does state that on the Gov.uk/vehicle-tax page
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • Cherryscone
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Did you do it online with the new V5?
    Yes I did not a problem at all the v5 was also with me In 3 days
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Any advice to use a car even over a weekend and tax at the first opportunity is wrong. A vehicle must have valid current tax to be on the road at all. Easily picked up by ANPR cameras and a fine would be automatic if detected.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    Any advice to use a car even over a weekend and tax at the first opportunity is wrong. A vehicle must have valid current tax to be on the road at all. Easily picked up by ANPR cameras and a fine would be automatic if detected.

That's my point - buy a new car on a Saturday, and you can't actually use it to the Monday in NI.

I admit to haven driven a new car from the garage or seller to home or an open post office - but this is the only journey I will do without tax, and is actually illegal - but very hard to avoid here.

The only legal way to do it is to leave your new car with the seller or garage while someone else drives you to the post office to tax it.
  • Cherryscone
    Options
    I think many a person on here Will admit to have drove a car without tax ..I could never because I am too much a woss I have friends that have done so
    It was so much easier when you could Buy a car with tax and a lot easier when the Tax office was in Coleraine .
  • motorguy
    Options
    BigAl94 wrote: »

No.

An ANPR camera doesnt generate an instant fine. There is several days of a gap before they are processed. By having your car taxed on the Monday (and taxing it to cover the FULL ownership period), it would show as being taxed before the fine would be raised.

If its a private sale the car will still be taxed anyway so no issue and if its a dealer sale, they can usually tax it for you - IF you're concerned. I bought a 2016 Passat a couple of months ago from Eddie Mays and they had it taxed for me picking it up (cost them a heady £20 for the full year, however if it had been a significant amount no doubt they'd have got me to pay them)

Even IF you did get a fine, and could show you taxed the car at the first opportunity after say a weekend purchase, they DVA would accept that.

Where people fall foul is - buying a car at the tail end of a month, "winging it" until the start of the month and taxing it from the start of that month then getting shirty when they get a fine in the post.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Yes I did not a problem at all the v5 was also with me In 3 days

Thank you - that is WHOLLY in line with my understanding of the issue being with the old ID system and this now being corrected with new references numbers when new V5Cs are issued.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure