Working away from home

Runningfast
Runningfast Posts: 224 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 29 January 2017 at 10:42PM in Marriage, relationships & families
I'm in a position in work that after several pay cuts after bills and general living expenses I don't have much for enjoying life or saving. It is getting me down!!

I have been looking for new jobs now for about 18months but there is nothing in my sector in my local area on my original salary or above. In the wider area there are jobs paying more and I have been applying for them.

Now this is the crux, after I factor in the extra deductions (increase in tax, student loan etc) using the pay calculator on this site I end up about £200 per month above what I earn now. Great, the whole point of getting a new job on more pay is to improve your life!! - Not so, The issue is to get to these jobs in the wider area I will need a train season ticket which costs over £200 per month!!! So infact I would be worse off financially.

I have come to the realisation that I need to move from my current area but my partner wants us to remain in this area (friends and family etc)

How did people find a compromise?

All I know is I can't continue where I am and in the financial position I am in.

Just looking to hear what solutions other people have come up with.

Comments

• My husband works away in the week and we hate it! We have done this in the past and it was fine then but this time we are both finding it very hard. He does not enjoy his job and as I work from home I'm quite isolated, we live very rurally too. We would not do this again and we hope to change this soon. Financially it makes little difference him being away but it's more relationship wise. Not good for us. Think carefully!
  • I'm afraid you and your partner will need to decide what comes first; the ability to pay the bills or having you at home all of the time. If you have children it's more tricky, but ultimately they're sure as hell going to be happier with a roof over their heads than without one.

A harsh stance but sometimes the ideal isn't always possible and flexibility short-term is needed. If you do work away, perhaps position yourself to be able to return later on, whether that be as self-employed etc.
  • Poppy3008 wrote: »
    My husband works away in the week and we hate it! We have done this in the past and it was fine then but this time we are both finding it very hard. He does not enjoy his job and as I work from home I'm quite isolated, we live very rurally too. We would not do this again and we hope to change this soon. Financially it makes little difference him being away but it's more relationship wise. Not good for us. Think carefully!

That does go through my mind about how it will impact the relationship, though me being away would benefit us financially. Currently my salary is maxed at £23.5k (all in) I was made redundant a few years ago and just took any job in my sector as I had bills to pay . I have also suffered a pay cut in my current role hence why I am now capped at 23.5K salary. I currently work a position way below my experience and qualification level. I think my partners job (nurse) is more transferrable than mine.

One of the possibilities i have at the moment is working abroad but think that might be pushing it with my partner.
  • Runningfast
    edited 29 January 2017 at 11:07PM
    I'm afraid you and your partner will need to decide what comes first; the ability to pay the bills or having you at home all of the time. If you have children it's more tricky, but ultimately they're sure as hell going to be happier with a roof over their heads than without one.

A harsh stance but sometimes the ideal isn't always possible and flexibility short-term is needed. If you do work away, perhaps position yourself to be able to return later on, whether that be as self-employed etc.

My partner has a child from a previous relationship. She is reluctant to pull the child away from his family and friend network.

Financially we are floating in that we pay the bills and don't need to use credit. The bit getting me down is that after paying the bills and essentials we have nothing to enjoy life with!! I feel like we are existing instead of living.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    How far away from where you currently live are you talking about? If a monthly season ticket is only £200, it can't be that far.
  • Runningfast
    edited 29 January 2017 at 11:16PM
    Jackieboy wrote: »
    How far away from where you currently live are you talking about? If a monthly season ticket is only £200, it can't be that far.

Approximately 55 miles each way (Driving)

The season ticket is £3164 (£263 per month)
  • Not sure if I have misread your post, but what is the point of you moving away, you are no better off.
    Not sure if you care for your partner that much.

Fincially I see no sense unless you want to move to area that has more prospects EG London.

If you want to remain togtehr may I suggest you look for diffrent work.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post
  • Runningfast
    edited 30 January 2017 at 12:32AM
    see below, it duplicated
  • Runningfast
    edited 30 January 2017 at 12:36AM
    Not sure if I have misread your post, but what is the point of you moving away, you are no better off.
    Not sure if you care for your partner that much.

Fincially I see no sense unless you want to move to area that has more prospects EG London.

If you want to remain togtehr may I suggest you look for diffrent work.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post

Sorry Yes you have misread my post.

I am talking about moving nationally for the level I am experienced at and qualified for.

The examples I give above is me recognising that I need a new job on more pay. The fact is a job on more money in my sector is not going to happen in my local area and proven by 18 months of job searching. The jobs in the wider area i.e. 55 miles from my current home are paying more than I am on now but when I factor in travel to them, increase in tax, student loan etc. I would be financially worse off in terms of disposable income.

For me to give the family a decent standard and quality of life I (we) would need to leave this area but my partner is not keen on the idea. I am looking for a compromise, which may include me working away during the week and coming home at weekends etc. I do not know the answer yet, and just speaking my thoughts out loud.

I am looking for different work as well but nothing is fitting the bill, I am not even sure what I can do and have never heard back from any job application not connected to my experience. I have also invested heavily in my own development in my current field so far approx £15,000. It would be a shame to walk away on it.
  • This is a difficult one. My dad would have made more money if he had been willing to travel around the country rather than being based in one factory and he would have enjoyed the work more. But he knew my mum wouldn't cope without him being home in the evenings (her mental health is somewhat fragile) and so he chose the job close to home instead.

We didn't have much money when I was a kid, what days out and holidays we had were infrequent and cheap, but I don't recall feeling that hard done by. What negative memories I have of my childhood were more related to my some negative aspects of my parent's behaviour than tight finances.

Although having said that, I made sure I got myself much more educated and trained so I did earn much more money and can afford nice things and a good social life, and I would be immensely frustrated in your shoes not being able to use my training.

Ultimately it's a question of what is more important to both of you. You may value having a more stimulating job and more money, but if your partner would value having you home each night more, then working away will have a big strain on your relationship. Is your career more important than life with your partner?

If the issue is partly not having enough money for leisure and saving after expenses, have you done everything you can to manage the expenses down? There's lots of good tips on here for that and a bit off each bill could add up. (I say this as someone who should be doing this herself - I should be overpaying on my mortgage so I can think about retiring sooner but each year I seem to spend what I earn - well, ignoring my payments into my pension that is).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure