Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    heatherbelle
    How do I make my washing smell scrumptious?
    • 22nd Jul 08, 4:05 PM
    How do I make my washing smell scrumptious? 22nd Jul 08 at 4:05 PM
    Hi all!

I need a bit of advice!

As I have no garden I am unable to dry my clothes outside and I sometimes feel they smell a bit musty from drying inside (especially the heavier pieces) But now it is sumer and warmer and therefore they are drying quicker but still musty!

Well I think the inside drying is the main reason but also thought it maybe down to my washing machine. The filters are fine though and it was serviced a wee while back so it can't be that!

Though could be my washing technique? 40 degree wash with Mr T's tablets (use one and a half per wash) and some fabric conditioner.

Anyway...

Does anyone have any tips? Do you put anything in with your load apart from powder?

Any help would be appreciated!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 05-08-2008 at 4:35 PM.
Page 5
  • Mellika
    Off topic, but they also sell soapnuts which I use instead of washing powder- they are SO MSE you would not believe, and have saved me a lot of money. There's a thread on here somewhere about them...If you want to try soapnuts though, I would recommend getting them from http://www.inasoapnutshell.com/ as they are slightly cheaper than Summer Naturals.
    Originally posted by harryharp
    Can I just say, I haven't even tried them yet and you've already converted me!! They sound fantastic!
    GC March Wk1 28.72/30 Wk2 28.4/29
    "Life is too short to float Coke cans..."
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without!
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member No.644 (Mar4-Dec1)
    100 Day Challenge: 13/100 (Mar4-Jun9)
    • harryharp
    • By harryharp 21st Aug 08, 5:19 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    harryharp
    Can I just say, I haven't even tried them yet and you've already converted me!! They sound fantastic!
    Originally posted by Mellika
    Well, they are fantastic as they're so MSE- but I think many people might be put off if they like their washing to smell of something soapy or flowery! Best thing to do is get a sample to try, and see what you think.
  • cady
    fresh washing smell
    since ive moved from washing liquid to powder my washing doesnt have that lovely smell is there something MS or OS i can do to make my washing smell lovely again!!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Sep 08, 12:14 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi cady,

There was a recent thread on making washing smell lovely that should give you some ideas so I've added your post to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • caledoniaquine
    They pulleys are great we have one in kitchen that I bought to hang pans up on ( think that lasted a week lol), I find the clothes dry a lot quicker up there than on airer.
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 27th Sep 08, 10:00 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    I had to replace my washing machine this week & asked the chap about Calgon...He came straight back with "It's over-priced & does nothing that ordinary soda cyrstals can't do for a lot less money!"

He recommended using the hottest wash & soda crystals about every three months for about a year or so, then do it about once a month. He was from a Euronics outlet, a shop I've used several times before & who are genuinely very helpful & I trust their judgement 100%. HTH.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• shezza
    I am very restricted to what I can put in the washing machine, as I am allergic to most cleaning stuff, so I have found a washing powder and fabric conditioner that I like and can use, however, my question is about the liquids you put in the iron. My OH recently brought in some comfort vaporesse, and as he brought 2 in I assumed they must have been on offer. Is there any way of making this type of thing at home. I had wondered if adding essential oils to boiled water would have the same effect. Any ideas:confused:

• anguk
    I am very restricted to what I can put in the washing machine, as I am allergic to most cleaning stuff, so I have found a washing powder and fabric conditioner that I like and can use, however, my question is about the liquids you put in the iron. My OH recently brought in some comfort vaporesse, and as he brought 2 in I assumed they must have been on offer. Is there any way of making this type of thing at home. I had wondered if adding essential oils to boiled water would have the same effect. Any ideas:confused:
    Originally posted by shezza
    That's what I do, a couple of drops of essential oil in boiled water, I think you're supposed to use distilled water but I just use boiled. You can keep topping up the Vaporesse bottle with water too because even when it's diluted the smell is still there.
    • Blairweech
    • By Blairweech 1st Nov 08, 1:01 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    Blairweech
    I want to make my washing smell yummy, but don't want to use fabric conditioner - I hate the way it makes clothes feel all 'slimey' and just-washed jeans feel like they've been on a week. I use washing powder - should I switch to liquid? Or would 'diluting' the powder in hot water then adding it to the machine work better? Maybe I will try laundry gloop.
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
    • loocyloo
    • By loocyloo 18th Nov 08, 11:50 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    loocyloo
    washing powder smell
    hello!

i use a mix of washing powder and soda crystals to wash in my machine, plus vinegar if something needs a bit of softener.

all works fine, but lately things haven't been smelling so 'clean' when washed. i guess some of that is that i can't dry outside when wet, and they take ages to dry inside.

can i add a drop of something to wash mix to get that nice 'fresh' smell?

or do i maybe need to do a quick hot wash ( i usually wash at 30 ) to 'clean' machine? and then it would be ok?

i'm sure i read it somewhere here, but i'm not very good with searching for things!

thanks

loocyloo x
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 18th Nov 08, 12:32 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi loocyloo,

There's an earlier thread that should help so I've added your post to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 18th Nov 08, 1:07 PM
    • 36,565 Posts
    • 47,162 Thanks
    McKneff
    Lavender is especially gorgeous on your bedding - great for helping to induce a good night's sleep.
    Originally posted by Olliebeak
    this maybe a silly question and i apologise in advance if it is.
    i know about lavender and its smell, but does it work on the nervous system,
    would it still work if you had no sense of smell?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • bumma
    my method...
    I wash (in Persil non-bio) colours at 40, whites at 60 and bedding at 90. I use a few tablespoons of borax in with the sheets to get them really fresh.
    There are five of us, so there is always lots to do

As soon as a load is finished it goes into the tumble dryer for 15 mins to get rid of the wrinkles (means no ironing to do except for shirts) then gets hung up on the airer to dry in front of the de-humidifer in the hall, which takes about a day to get bone dry.

The only time I have laundry that doesn't smell
    nice and fresh is when someone forgets to shut the kitchen door when they're cooking and food smells get into the clothes
  • Marishka
    this maybe a silly question and i apologise in advance if it is.
    i know about lavender and its smell, but does it work on the nervous system,
    would it still work if you had no sense of smell?
    Originally posted by anniehanlon
    Not a silly question at all, sorry I've only just spotted it, hence the delay!
    Lavender works in many ways but it is most commonly encountered used in aromatherapy these days so one thinks of it as working by smell. Actually, the molecules are absorbed through the membranes of the nose so one would still get a calming effect so long as those membranes are intact (no good for that girl that used to be on Eastenders then).
    Lavender is also used topically by herbalists and others interested in natural medicine and is absorbed, to some extent, through any skin so there will be a small amount absorbed from fabric against bare skin.
    In both cases, mind, the effects are really very small so whether one has a sense of smell or not, any therapeutic effect would be minor, one would need to back it up with aromatherapy diffusers, or massage depending on exactly what was required.

Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat on skin (despite the usual legal warnings on the bottle) but, obviously, one would avoid sensitive areas, babies or anyone with known sensitivities and I always suggest people try a little on somewhere not too delicate, as with so many substances. It's also worth remembering that skin treated with lavender oil should not be exposed to sunlight for some hours at least otherwise there will be an allergic reaction similar in effect, but not actually related, to sunburn.
    This shouldn't ever be a problem with the amounts left on clothing after a few drops in the washing water but beware of dropped bottles, rubbing oily hands on faces and so on. I once scratched the corner of my eye with a finger that had had lavender oil on about 3 hours previously - what my grandmother used to call and unforgettable educational experience!

Finally, it goes without saying that whilst lavender is also one of the few oils that is sometimes taken internally, this is not for the amateur and should only be under the strict guidance of a medical herbalist!
    a wombling we will go...
  • cady
    how to???
    how can i make my washing smell nice??? i saw a huge thread on here but cant find it anywhere also its dried indoors as live in a flat and it never smells nice no matter what i do!!!!
  • Olliebeak
    Do you use an airer? or a Tumble Drier? or one of those lines over the bath?

I sometimes resort to fabric conditioner - but not for towels as I like them a bit rough .

If you use an airer try to place it by an open window so that the fresh air gets to it.

Try to make sure that the damp laundry doesn't 'hang around' for too long before spreading on the bars of an airer and make sure that you put it neatly on the bars - if it's bunched up some bits take ages to dry and can hold a 'musty smell' after.

Can you hang some things on coat hangers?

I dry things indoors all the time in the winter and try my best not to use my TD - hate the thing!

Do you have somewhere where you can really 'open out' big towels/sheets/duvet covers? I use my bannister on the landing, but that idea's not much use if you live in a flat.
    • staffie1
    • By staffie1 11th Apr 09, 9:28 PM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    staffie1
    always make sure you remove your washing immediately after the washing machine stops. If you leave stuff in there too long it smells awful!
    If you will the end, you must will the means
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 11th Apr 09, 9:41 PM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Is this thread any use to you? I saw it the other day too and it had some good ideas in it

I have just found this one too it's probably the older thread that you've seen before. HTH
    Last edited by SunnyGirl; 11-04-2009 at 9:46 PM.
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 11th Apr 09, 9:51 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi cady,

I've added your post to the original thread so you can read the posts there. This thread may help too:

Any suggestions for drying clothes indoors

Pink

SunnyGirl, I knew there'd be no stopping you!
    Last edited by Pink.; 11-04-2009 at 9:53 PM.
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 11th Apr 09, 10:40 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 36,045 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Unfortunately I live on the ground floor on a busy street in Glasgow City Centre - not sure the world wants to see my knickers! ...
    Originally posted by heatherbelle
    there are worse sights in Glasga than your knickers, no one will notice
    I have the same problem in the winter (think the tennements and you have my flat) I have found putting less on the airer a help and getting the airer outside even just for 10 minutes helps. I don't know if that is an option for you.
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    2 Savers club 2019 20p Savers Club 2019
    BLTW Feb
    2/19
    Pay all your debts by Christmas 2019 #20 paid 100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,269Posts Today

7,244Users online

Martin's Twitter