Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    heatherbelle
    How do I make my washing smell scrumptious?
    • 22nd Jul 08, 4:05 PM
    How do I make my washing smell scrumptious? 22nd Jul 08 at 4:05 PM
    Hi all!

I need a bit of advice!

As I have no garden I am unable to dry my clothes outside and I sometimes feel they smell a bit musty from drying inside (especially the heavier pieces) But now it is sumer and warmer and therefore they are drying quicker but still musty!

Well I think the inside drying is the main reason but also thought it maybe down to my washing machine. The filters are fine though and it was serviced a wee while back so it can't be that!

Though could be my washing technique? 40 degree wash with Mr T's tablets (use one and a half per wash) and some fabric conditioner.

Anyway...

Does anyone have any tips? Do you put anything in with your load apart from powder?

Any help would be appreciated!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 05-08-2008 at 4:35 PM.
Page 2
    • melliec
    • By melliec 25th Jul 08, 7:19 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    melliec
    Try tesco meadow fresh concentrated fabric softner, it smells lovely. Really strong and imo much better than any others.
  • heatherbelle
    LOL I use lavender, but how do you when the rinse cycle is on?

I have pictures of myself sitting by the washing machine waiting for bubbles to disappear LOL!

Clara
    Originally posted by CLARABEL
    Bubbles from an essential oil? Now I'm worried about using it!
    I miss using my infinite coupons at Tesco!
    2010 was the worst year ever
    But 2011 so far has been a lot of fun!

• Penny-Pincher!!
    I hang whatever I can on the curtain rail as it dries well and smells lovely. Towels and bedding are either dried outside if the weather is fine, hung over doors or TD as a last resort.
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
  • foreversomeday
    LOL I use lavender, but how do you when the rinse cycle is on?

I have pictures of myself sitting by the washing machine waiting for bubbles to disappear LOL!

Clara
    Originally posted by CLARABEL
    I think it depends how your washing machine works. If I want a rinse cycle I have to set it to do that and then run the main wash cycle when the rinse cycle has finished but the washing machine I had in my old flat was brand new and had a separate drawer for the rinse cycle, because instead of choosing a cycle for the wash you chose an entire program which would rinse, wash and dry and you only had to press the button once. I found it useless though because it never dried anything unless there was half a load or less of washing in there, so had to use the separate cycles.

I never usually do a rinse cycle now, can anyone tell me why they do one because it seems to me it uses extra electricity and water so there must be a reason why you MSErs do it!
    I don't believe and I never did that two wrongs make a right
  • SABJ
    i use concentrated fabric softner and i use more than recomended my cloths always smell lovely but i do put my wash on a empty wash or with 1 towel in once a week on a higher wash with vinegar cos the concentrated stuff can clog the machine if its not diluted so dont blame me if it does heehee but i have done this for years and not had any bother
  • SuziQ
    I have a got a couple of radiator airers from wilkies and have found them such a boon. There are 4 rails on them and each one can take 2 t-shirts or whatever. They were only 1.49 each and I may get another couple for other rads,plus one for my dd when she goes to Uni!
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • mineallmine
    Couple of ideas:

- Hang your clothes in a sunny room (if poss) to dry

- Are you able to select 'spin only' after the wash on your machine, so things have an extra spin and maybe come out a smidge drier?

- Experiment with other washing powders/liquids - someone I know uses Morrison's own brand washing liquid and it smelt so good I'm going to try some.

- To freshen up the washing machine I buy a biological own brand washing powder (like Asda at 50p) and run the machine on a hot wash (just like other people have said) to freshen things up.
    Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    Fab thread: Long daily walks
    • efkay
    • By efkay 5th Aug 08, 11:21 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    efkay
    I too dry clothes indoors but manage to avoid the mustiness by using a dehumidifier. Clothes dry much quicker than just hanging on a drier, as the moisture doesn't disappear into the fabric of the building. The water from the dehumidifier either gets put back into the washing machine towards the next load (I'm on a water meter), or I fill a couple of plastic bottles with the water for use in the steam iron.

I supposed the lavender drops can go into the fabric dispenser section, maybe even diluted a little.
  • competitionscafe
    I add a few drops of peppermint oil to the main drawer at the beginning - got a big bottle on ebay and it's lasted months with plenty left. I also use the eco-wash non-bio tablets http://www.simplywashing.com/ (stocked up when they were on offer at 1.99 a tub) which go in the machine with the washing and they leave a pleasant smell.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 6th Aug 08, 7:18 AM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 20,808 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I too dry clothes indoors but manage to avoid the mustiness by using a dehumidifier. Clothes dry much quicker than just hanging on a drier, as the moisture doesn't disappear into the fabric of the building. The water from the dehumidifier either gets put back into the washing machine towards the next load (I'm on a water meter), or I fill a couple of plastic bottles with the water for use in the steam iron.

I supposed the lavender drops can go into the fabric dispenser section, maybe even diluted a little.
    Originally posted by efkay
    is a humidifier expensive to run?
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • Tuesday
    • By Tuesday 6th Aug 08, 7:40 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Tuesday
    I started making my own fabric conditioner as I don't like the chemical smell of shop bought (put 1/2 cup of borax (not 1/2 mug) into a old fabric conditioner bottle. Add small amount of hot water to dissolve. Fill up with white vinegar (distilled) and add a few drop of essential oil). Not only do our clothes smell nicer, they don't get that musty smell if they take too long to dry. Plus my machine never gets mould in the powder drawer anymore - apparently fabric conditioner contains oil and that causes the mould. I buy 5 ltrs of vinegar from Asian supermarkets for around 1.95. Borax from the diy shop or chemists and oil from Holland & Barrett as they often have it on special.
    • claralou
    • By claralou 6th Aug 08, 7:53 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    claralou
    if your windowsills are suitable, you could have a caravan airer that hangs out of the window, when I lived in flats lots of the neighbours used them.
    Originally posted by culpepper
    I also live in a flat but would love to wash clothes outside. I've been looking for one of these airers that hangs out of the window for ages but can't find one anywhere. Our friends live in Barcelona and all the apartments there have clothes dryings out of the windows - when you walk down the streets it sometimes smells delicious!!

Does anyone know where I could find one of these out-of-the-window airers?
    Thanks x
    • wmf
    • By wmf 6th Aug 08, 8:07 AM
    • 1,803 Posts
    • 21,671 Thanks
    wmf
    Ok - am going to have a try with adding essential oil to my vinegar rinse. I have lavender and also patchouli which I love but it's a bit of a thick oil and might gunk on some clothes.
    w
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 6th Aug 08, 8:07 AM
    • 912 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Does anyone know where I could find one of these out-of-the-window airers?
    Thanks x
    Here's some:

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-75657-MIR-Home-Garden-Caravan-Clothes-Airer-5-53Mtr.html

http://www.worldoftents.co.uk/hook-on-caravan-airer-p-847.html?currency=GBP
    Last edited by Thistle-down; 06-08-2008 at 8:10 AM.
    • harryharp
    • By harryharp 6th Aug 08, 8:18 AM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    harryharp
    Re. putting essential oils in the machine, I get mine from this company: http://www.summernaturals.co.uk/- they are much cheaper as they're specifically intended just for laundry.

Incidentally this is a brilliant website as you can get other bulk basics such as borax and white vinegar (as mentioned in the above post for making your own fabric conditioner).

Off topic, but they also sell soapnuts which I use instead of washing powder- they are SO MSE you would not believe, and have saved me a lot of money. There's a thread on here somewhere about them...If you want to try soapnuts though, I would recommend getting them from http://www.inasoapnutshell.com/ as they are slightly cheaper than Summer Naturals.
  • Curiosity Kitten
    Something no-one's mentioned yet...
    Hello my fellow Mrs. (& Mr.) Tiggywinkles.

The main thing that I find makes washing smell musty is when it's left in the machine for any length of time before being taken out and hung up.

I get round this by making sure I only wash clothes if I (or a kind housemate) can be around to hang them up as soon as the load's finished. I don't use any fabric conditioner and don't get any problems with mustiness if I hang stuff up straightaway. Though obviously you might be doing this already so apologies if this sounds a bit Playschool.

I live in a top floor flat and we dry our clothes with the window slightly open, on an airer with arms that looks a bit like a pylon. They're really good.

Happy laundrifying!

CK
    • guineapig
    • By guineapig 6th Aug 08, 8:39 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    guineapig
    I also use a de-humidifier which I find drys them in about 12 hours depending on outside/inside temps (this was in my conservatory in the cool weather)
    To answer you question re cost, I have just plugged mine in and set it running so I could check the cost on the wireless electricity monitor and it appears to cost 3 pence an hour ( give or take a fraction) and I know when I checked the tumble dryer it was 48 pence an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have also got a washing line in the small bedroom up high ( high enough to reach to peg things up, but higher than my neck so as not to garrot myself!) heat rises and I found that using the ( indoor)washing line and the dehumidifier at the same time cuts down the drying time by about one third.
    • villanova
    • By villanova 6th Aug 08, 8:57 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    villanova
    Essential oils
    Does anyone have problems putting essential oils into their machine? I would be very worried about ingredients in the oils attacking the plastic components.
    Instead, I make my own 'ironing spray' by using a little oil in an old trigger spray bottle of water, solubilised with a tiny bit of shampoo, to make sure it doesn't separate out & stain clothes (better to use thinner, paler coloured oils for this!). Tha tway, I can either use it like Febreze to refresh clothes, or to get wrinkles out when ironing.
  • heatherbelle
    wow - my mild curiousity post is now in the weekly email! *blush* now everyone knows my washing smells!

I have already started with some of the tips on here - have bought another stand to dry from and also been adding soda crystals to my wash and stopped with the fabric conditioner and have been putting in an essential oil instead. So far so good actually!

Though the dehumidifier sounds like something to look into! And also making my own fabric softner and using soap nuts!
    I miss using my infinite coupons at Tesco!
    2010 was the worst year ever
    But 2011 so far has been a lot of fun!

• m0neymagnet
    Apologies if this sounds silly but what is a wireless electricity monitor?! Where do you get one and cost?
    I also use an old dehumidifier but worried about elec cost and under pressure from other half to buy a tumble dryer.
    We've just had a baby and trying to dry washable nappies indoors takes days without any help...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,787Posts Today

7,241Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin