From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thank you Cherryfudge. The cuttings have put forth new leaves which I've taken as a good sign. I'm looking out for some sign of root growth before I relax. You know you're a keen gardener when rooting gel is always in the boot of your car!!

Yes I did used to sell spare plants at the garden gate. I must get organised to do that again. It comes down to lack of time at the moment. This year has been so pressured at work, there is little time for anything beyond basic plant maintenance but am hoping that over the summer I can get organised with selling surplus again.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ooh, if they're growing I think you could start making plans for them!

Your work sounds very heavy at the moment. I hope you can get out in the garden a bit more, it's a great stress buster.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I did snatch about 3 minutes on the bench in the garden this evening...I will be glad to get back to a less frantic pace.

I've spent today mainly doing work. I'm almost halfway through the reports and got the weekly paperwork done. Dinner tonight was Chicken chasseur made with yellow stickered chicken legs which I bought for £1.20 and stuck in the freezer :). DS1 was a bit dubious at first but his plate was clean in a very short space of time so it couldn't have been too bad! DD1 helped me to top and tail some gooseberries for a crumble.
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello HSL

I think it's time to revisit the loan idea. I don't know if you have any mortgage bits coming up ie putting it all in your name, if so ignore me. But consolidating all your odds and ends and borrowing enough for the boiler would be a great idea. I don't think you've ever been a spend thrift, just responsible for too many people with only one wage. Get rid of those pesky high aprs and actually see those debts disappear for a change. I think it would be good to set out the debt now before the expensive months ahead with all the kids home from school too. Although it might be your cheapest months yet with dd1 at the helm!

Don't try and do anymore to earn any more income before school has finished. You have far too much on your plate as it is. Keep going. 4 more weeks!

Keep going. You do so well xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement Kitten868. I have been in a quandary about consolidating the bits and pieces to escape the high APRs but am also conscious that I'll need to be visiting a mortgage broker soon to see if the mortgage can be just in my name or whether to sell and split the equity now. Either way I'll be needing a mortgage in my name only.

You are right, I need to plan the summer holidays carefully to ensure that money lasts. The 2 biggest increases are food and diesel.

The older DDs had a dress rehearsal for the wedding we're going to soon. DD3 is rightly pleased. She found a beautiful burgundy coloured smart dress in a charity shop for £1.25. It looks amazing on her :). DD1 is recycling a dress that DD2 wore to an event last year , so am pleased they are thinking through frugally.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    It's a glorious evening this evening. Fighting the urge to be in the garden or at the beach as I still have a few reports left to go :(. The sooner I get them finished, the more evenings I can enjoy!

I'm slightly unnerved by the post today. I've had a letter from the tax credit office saying they want proof that DS 1 has been at college this academic year. I'll have to email the college to ask for some sort of confirmation letter. I know that they need to do checks and it's fine but I hate feeling suspected if you see what I mean.

I bought the wedding gifts yesterday so that's one more job ticked off. I'm really hoping this glorious weather lasts.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Had a wonderful time at the wedding. I was able to get lots of photos of my lot. Getting all of them together at the same time is getting more and more tricky!

Today has been nicely busy but I'm absolutely exhausted. Lots of extra bits and pieces resulted in me starting much earlier and finishing later. Still have a few reports to go but on the last bit now :)

Direct debits have gone out so the debt figure will have gone down a little.
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With the debts you currently have (not to family just actual lenders) how much is outstanding as I'm wondering if it would cheaper to borrow it elsewhere not aprs wise but as a monthly payment as that would be in better favour for a mortgage application. For example three or four loans for a few hundred each costing £40 each or one loan for £1000 costing £80 a month.

What would you prefer? Taking on the mortgage solo or selling and buying alone? Before you were leaning more towards selling and buying. Is this still the case?

2 weeks to go! Enjoy the wedding xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Honeysucklelou2
    edited 8 July 2019 at 1:33AM
    Options
    I keep swinging between taking on the mortgage here or buying alone. Part of me loves the garden here ( not a good reason for making a decision I know) and staying here would be easier for the children. But the ex feels he can come and go as he pleases, which legally he can. This means we are still walking around his stuff which includes trailers, tractors, machinery etc. This weekend for example, I came home on Friday to find his volatile dog here and was told by DS1 that we had the dog for the weekend. Not a word was said to me beforehand. That kind of thoughtlessness / lack of concern for children and other animals safety frustrates me immensely.

This veers me more towards selling up and moving so there is clarity but finding somewhere big enough for us all, on one income is the tricky part. We have a high amount of 2nd homes in the area I live, particularly larger homes as they are let for holidays. I'm keeping my eye on the property market and hoping to take some time to declutter and paint more in the holidays.

Will get most up to date figures from MSE Credit Club and post up...
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    It's been a busy day today which resulted in me staying at work for quite a while today. Everything is done for tomorrow so I have enjoyed simply pottering this evening. Haven't achieved much apart from bringing in dry washing and watering plants but having time to do those things without nagging work worry, is good :).

I have been given a plant which I am very thankful for. It is so fragrant...absolutely beautiful. I think it best to put into a pot for now so that it can be moved if necessary. It gives me motivation to tackle the back garden which is fast resembling a nettle jungle. First job of the holidays!! The back garden is the smallest area of garden but could be made into a nice area for seating with raised beds/ large pots.

Paid nursery fees today. Another 2 chunks to pay before the end of term and that will be clear until September :):)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family