Tesco credit card late payment without knowledge

13»

Comments

• ForeverAwake
    ForeverAwake Posts: 59 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I’ve read the terms and conditions, states nothing about having to make a manual payment if you change the amount.
  • User_101122
    User_101122 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm not sure about the whole good will argument here.

I think the op has a very valid point. If Tesco haven't warned her about the direct debit not going out I'd be asking for them to correct my credit file.

I'd be very reasonable and respectful with them (at first) in trying to get it removed. If they refuse I'd be going down the Ombudsman route.

That said this is clearly a one off honest mistake, I don't think you'll have any issues getting them to do it without having to complain.
  • ForeverAwake
    ForeverAwake Posts: 59 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Update...

Tesco have responded to my complaint. They have agreed the direct debit change wasn’t made clear, and have agreed to remove the late payment from my credit file, and given me £100 compensation.

The lady has also passed my complaint onto senior management to investigate the way they handle their direct debit amendments.

In a nutshell, it should have been made to clear to myself that my direct debit wasn’t going to be collected for that month.

A good outcome I’m happy with.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Update...

Tesco have responded to my complaint. They have agreed the direct debit change wasn’t made clear, and have agreed to remove the late payment from my credit file, and given me £100 compensation.

The lady has also passed my complaint onto senior management to investigate the way they handle their direct debit amendments.

In a nutshell, it should have been made to clear to myself that my direct debit wasn’t going to be collected for that month.

Good job you followed your gut instinct and not the indication from some on here that seemed to suggest you were at fault. Well done.
  • Update...

Excellent outcome! It just goes to show - all too often the financial organisation is automatically assumed to be in the right, when in many cases they aren't.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The e-mail I received when changing the direct debit
    Thanks for choosing to pay your Tesco Bank credit card ending xxxx by Direct Debit. We'll make this change, however this cancels the existing payment with your bank. Your new Direct Debit will not come into effect until your next statement so please make alternative arrangements for this month's payment.
    Just sayin :cool:
  • molerat wrote: »
    The e-mail I received when changing the direct debit
    Just sayin :cool:

What a rotten process.
  • Update...

Tesco haven’t bothered to remove the late payment marker on all 3 of my files as promised. All is showing is “0” for May and June but still a “1” for April. So angry.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    What a rotten process.
    It is, and Tesco seem to be the worst for it.

When I got my Tesco card with 0% introductory period I set up a direct debit on it and was told to pay the first one manually as it may not be taken off automatically, which turned out to be correct. However, a few months in I noticed on each time that the direct debit had not been collected for some reason (I can't remember if I had changed the amount or something) a day after it was due. I was worried about losing the introductory offer but when I phoned them they said not to worry and I wouldn't lose the offer. They suggested making a manual payment just in case. I asked them if the direct debit might still be paid but they said they weren't sure, it might be or it might not. So I paid it to make sure and guess what, the next day (two days late) the direct debit was paid.

Because of this I am now wary of Tesco's direct debit process and always keep a close eye on what is happening with that account.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    !!! wrote: »
    OP could make a manual payment until the new DD plan was in place.

I was thinking the same thing, but guess what it was too simple and it is much better to put the blame on Tesco.

I never pay credit cards by DD, I much prefer to log into my bank and set the date manually when I want the money to leave my account. This way the control is mine and mine alone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure