• commoditygirl
    commoditygirl Posts: 9
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    edited 11 June 2019 at 11:00AM
    What were you reclaiming:PPI on House of Fraser Store Card 1997 and 2003
    Who was the provider: GE Capital now handled by Santander
    How much did you get back: £1475
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: One phone call, one questionnaire sent with policy/employment details/bank statements to support claim

I found an old PPI policy from 2003 and called the Santander PPI help-line. I noticed the policy had been completed/ticked by the sales person and I did not meet all of the eligibility requirements.

Staff were helpful ( I'm biased to be fair as they are based in Newcastle and that's where I live!) by telephone and asked me questions pertaining to health and employment.

At the time I was employed by British Airways PLC and had very generous sick pay and redundancy cover. Plus,I had health issues which have led to my being,"pensioned-out," for ill health.

Just received a call to say upholding my complaint and refunding £1475. Very pleased indeed given this is an old policy and was paid off in 2010.

I have several other claims pending....the big ones being with Barclaycard...I remain positive and so far the journey has been positive with almost 10k in refunds....that's a very nice new garden office for me!:j

Huge thanks to this site and all the moderators for their very helpful insight.
    Keep the faith and if anyone is reading this please contact the banks you have issues with yourself and DO NOT use a third party!
  • Hello,
    I'm new to this site - so please bear with me if I don't quite get it!
    My ppi mis-selling claim against Creation Financial Services has been upheld (although I am still waiting for a settlement figure since 25th March)
    I didn't seriously think that I was paying ppi premiums on this account, but thought it might be worth enquiring. I could see nothing on the statements (luckily I had kept years worth) that mentioned insurance or ppi or anything of the sort. My initial enquiry was met with a response, saying that they couldn't find evidence of ppi, and suggested if I had any statements it would be clearly visible as an insurance payment. All I could see was a regular, monthly 2% service charge. I enquired further - Lo and behold! It was confirmed that there was, indeed, ppi attached to this storecard.
    I felt I had a good case for mis-selling for many reasons - one of which was working less than 16 hours a week at the time I took out the card. In my original reasons I had mentioned this. Creation seemed to disregard the other valid reasons I mentioned:- the indefinite sick pay I would have received from the company I worked for (my husband was a director) or the fact that I didn't even suspect ppi was attached to this card. Instead, they seemed to become fixated on the question of me working less than 16 hours a week.
    So, Creation came back to me and wanted me to sign up to the HMRC site, get a screenshot of the page with my NHI payment history on it and send it to them to prove how many hours I worked!!! In reply, I told them that any one of the many other mis-selling reasons I had mentioned should be sufficient to uphold my case. As a footnote, I then mentioned that I found my ppi payment history impossible to discover from the stack of statements I still had, as it was NOT clearly marked with any indication of insurance. Creation had previously told me it would be clear on the statements. To this day, they have still not told me where it is truly hidden. I can only guess the premiums are hiding within the 2% service charge. Once I reiterated my inability to find any evidence of premiums being paid, despite having a stack of old statements, they upheld my complaint. Maybe it was because I said "Sorry, I still can't find where the premium payments were made. There is NO mention of insurance on my statements. Could the premiums be hidden in the 2% service charge???" The upholding of my complaint came immediately following that question. Hope this helps any of you out there facing similar problems.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 14 June 2019 at 10:44AM
    I didn't seriously think that I was paying ppi premiums on this account, but thought it might be worth enquiring. I could see nothing on the statements (luckily I had kept years worth) that mentioned insurance or ppi or anything of the sort. My initial enquiry was met with a response, saying that they couldn't find evidence of ppi, and suggested if I had any statements it would be clearly visible as an insurance payment. All I could see was a regular, monthly 2% service charge. I enquired further - Lo and behold! It was confirmed that there was, indeed, ppi attached to this storecard.

PPI CANNOT be included in service charges though it's possible the charge was PPI with a different name. It MUST be listed as a charge on the statement as it increased your balance though a monthly % charge does indicate a PPI policy, a service charge would be a fixed amount. On some months where you cleared the balance in full you would not pay PPI even if you had it

I felt I had a good case for mis-selling for many reasons - one of which was working less than 16 hours a week at the time I took out the card. In my original reasons I had mentioned this. Creation seemed to disregard the other valid reasons I mentioned:- the indefinite sick pay I would have received from the company I worked for (my husband was a director) or the fact that I didn't even suspect ppi was attached to this card. Instead, they seemed to become fixated on the question of me working less than 16 hours a week.

Working less than 16 hours a week is the key issue because if you were, PPI would not cover you, QED was miss-sold. The other 2 reasons are fair but not really that important, there is no guarantee you would still be together (42% of UK marriages end in divorce) and thus still have the sick pay - was he a sole director or would others need to approve your indefinite sick pay? What if the business went under, what would you do then? Not knowing about it just says you didn't read the documentation.
    So, Creation came back to me and wanted me to sign up to the HMRC site, get a screenshot of the page with my NHI payment history on it and send it to them to prove how many hours I worked!!! In reply, I told them that any one of the many other mis-selling reasons I had mentioned should be sufficient to uphold my case.

As above, the working hours was the only genuine miss-selling reason. Miss-selling doesn't work on the basis of the number of reasons you give, only on whether they are valid
    As a footnote, I then mentioned that I found my ppi payment history impossible to discover from the stack of statements I still had, as it was NOT clearly marked with any indication of insurance. Creation had previously told me it would be clear on the statements. To this day, they have still not told me where it is truly hidden. I can only guess the premiums are hiding within the 2% service charge.

Again this is incorrect, a service charge is a service charge, PPI is PPI. If the charge was a monthly thing that varied with balance then yes it could be PPI but very unusual for it to be labelled as something else - yet something no other person on this forum has ever mentioned?
    Once I reiterated my inability to find any evidence of premiums being paid, despite having a stack of old statements, they upheld my complaint. Maybe it was because I said "Sorry, I still can't find where the premium payments were made. There is NO mention of insurance on my statements. Could the premiums be hidden in the 2% service charge???" The upholding of my complaint came immediately following that question. Hope this helps any of you out there facing similar problems.

Did the bank say that was why it was upheld? As I mentioned above, you were miss-sold because the PPI would not cover a part-time worker, not because of some secret hidden charge. The bank would have been hit with huge fines if they were hiding a charge inside something else, more likely the monthly charge was PPI with an odd name and you didn't realise.
  • piper81
    piper81 Posts: 8
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    What were you reclaiming: Credit Card

Who was the provider: Lloyds TSB bank

How much did you get back: £1245 on Loan. CC still processing

Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Online Form. I only applied for the Credit Card as I had those statements, but I received a letter back saying I had a loan too.

Filled out the PPI Claim form on Lloyds Website on 23rd May. Letter received 28th saying they were processing it. Another letter received on 14th June with amount refunded. Very quick turnaround - I was expecting to wait months.

Thank You so much for making us aware of the PPI Claims. I kept putting it off and off as I didn't think I'd get much, I didn't realise interest was added onto the amount! After losing lots of money recently to bogus gardener and builder, this is much needed! Thanks!
  • Hi I filled in the form on this website about 7 weeks ago to claim for a secure loan on my house with Black Horse. I paid it off over ten years ago and was not sure if I had ppi but thought it was worth a try. The form was so easy and I hardly remembered most details. That was that. This morning i received 9,369.91 from Black Horse. Sorry my keypad wont let me add pound sign. But yes this is true. I cannot thank you enough. Anyone who is not sure,,,,Just do it ,,i did I am so financially stuck at the moment that this will sort everything out, Thank you
  • I’ve just received £14,000 from MBNA ppi claim from a credit card from early 2000’s. Mainly interest, as it is from a very old credit card account but it shows the scale of what happened. I was encouraged to explore by this forum - so thank you! it was so easy to fill in online form and they kept me updated every two weeks by post. The whole claim took about 8 weeks. Please apply if you haven’t - I was genuinely surprised by how painless and easy MBNA have been.
  • What were you reclaiming: PPI on Mortgage (Unemployment cover) 2002-2005
    Who was the provider: Yorkshire Building Society
    How much did you get back: £1,190.57 after tax deduction
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: One phone call including short questionnaire by telephone-no FOS.

A very easy transaction with Yorkshire Building Society with regards Unemployment Payment Protection, sold in conjunction with a mortgage in 2001.Six free months and then policy commenced in 2002, running for 3.5 years at £16.00 pcm.

We both had excellent sickness/redundancy benefits and after a very pleasant telephone call with the PPI team we waited 8 weeks for the conclusion of their investigation.

We offered to send supporting information pertaining to salaries and savings but, they agreed the product had not been suitable.

Cheque arrived this morning with a very nice letter.

I would not have an issue with this product ordinarily, especially on a large debt such as a mortgage but, essentially it was not appropriate for us at the time.

Had a cracking June to date...£13,750 in refunds and still 3 polices to be considered.

:j:j:j
  • Hi I’m new to this I’ve just recently been successful with my complaint against Sainsbury’s bank for mis sold ppi and received just over 9k for a loan and credit card I had with them. However, I submitted my complaint against Yorkshire bank on the 11th feb 2019 they replied back on the 14th March saying they had a backlog and will be in touch ASAP. I then received a further letter on the 9th May saying they are now investigating my complaint and I will hear back within 56 days. Well them 56 days are up this week and I’ve heard nothing! Anybody else experienced this with Yorkshire bank? My Sainsbury’s complaint was all done and dusted within 6 weeks! Thanks
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    They have eight weeks to respond, if you are unhappy, go to the FOS. Might be quicker to let them finish investigating first though.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Thanks for the reply. Think I’m worrying because Sainsbury’s were so quick with their decision but I suppose every bank is different
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback