Plodding determinedly up a 300k mountain!

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Are you doing a Masters or a PHD?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • obay
    obay Posts: 570 Forumite
    How much do £300k mortgages cost per month?
    [STRIKE]1/12/16 - £152,599.00 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]11/11/17 - £145,990.00 [/STRIKE] <> Overpaid £3916.
    11/11/18 - £142,074.00
    Barclays Car (5.99%)£0/£8,832.37
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Are you doing a Masters or a PHD?

Hopefully a PhD - although it may well involve another Masters degree (yay...) but I can't afford to fund it myself so I need to get one of the studentships which are very highly competitive. But I've been toying with this for the last 5 years or so and have decided to go for it this year. Applications in November and I'll know if I have interviews by Christmas.

Obay - I think it depends massively on a collection of factors. We just remortgaged so on a 28 1/2 year term, 60% LTV, 248k outstanding we pay 0.74% above the base (currently 1.24%) and the repayments are £859/month.
  • How exciting! Good luck with your university choices! Well done! That remortgage is awesome as well, you could spend that renting a room in a house in London. Do you still have your housemates?
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041 :eek:
    2nd Property Mortgage at £275,000. Mortgage free: 2049 :eek:
    Total OPs: £29529
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Hope all goes as you wish.
    My DS is currently doing his Masters.
    Had hoped to go on to PhD but now seems unlikely.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • obay
    obay Posts: 570 Forumite
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Hopefully a PhD - although it may well involve another Masters degree (yay...) but I can't afford to fund it myself so I need to get one of the studentships which are very highly competitive. But I've been toying with this for the last 5 years or so and have decided to go for it this year. Applications in November and I'll know if I have interviews by Christmas.

Obay - I think it depends massively on a collection of factors. We just remortgaged so on a 28 1/2 year term, 60% LTV, 248k outstanding we pay 0.74% above the base (currently 1.24%) and the repayments are £859/month.

Damn! That's what I pay for half! :(
    [STRIKE]1/12/16 - £152,599.00 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]11/11/17 - £145,990.00 [/STRIKE] <> Overpaid £3916.
    11/11/18 - £142,074.00
    Barclays Car (5.99%)£0/£8,832.37
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ooh - new kitchens are exciting! We're having ours fitted the week after you, so come NY we're ripping out the old one, knocking up the flooring (thick porcelain tiles) and having some plumbing & electric work and the new flooring before the fit starts. Last time we had a new kitchen I ws without an oven from mid Oct - 24th Dec, a washing machine from mid Oct - early Dec and a kitchen sink from mid Oct - end Jan! :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lots going on! I think I have to have a new kitchen after a while - not right now, but maybe a few years away, unless I sell before then.

Erm, mortgage rates.... okay, I have a confession - I'm in the last year of paying off the French mortgage on the French apartment (the one thats lost at least half its value, yes, that one!). And the rate is 0.95% p.a. :o:o:o It's variable, and it's been much higher, but that's what it's been for about a year ...
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Tropically wrote: »
    How exciting! Good luck with your university choices! Well done! That remortgage is awesome as well, you could spend that renting a room in a house in London. Do you still have your housemates?
    Thanks! Let's hope one of them likes me as well. :)

Yeah, a house on our street rents a room for £600 which is a little scary when you compare it. No wonder people struggle to save for a deposit. No housemates anymore, they both left in September :j. The money was good but I have learned to be much more stringent if we ever let rooms again!
    beanielou wrote: »
    Hope all goes as you wish.
    My DS is currently doing his Masters.
    Had hoped to go on to PhD but now seems unlikely.
    Me too! But we'll see how it goes. Hope your DS gets what he is hoping for.
    obay wrote: »
    Damn! That's what I pay for half! :(
    Maybe look at remortgaging? We went with HSBC and the offer is still up there
    greent wrote: »
    Ooh - new kitchens are exciting! We're having ours fitted the week after you, so come NY we're ripping out the old one, knocking up the flooring (thick porcelain tiles) and having some plumbing & electric work and the new flooring before the fit starts. Last time we had a new kitchen I ws without an oven from mid Oct - 24th Dec, a washing machine from mid Oct - early Dec and a kitchen sink from mid Oct - end Jan! :)
    x

They are! We were without an oven for 14 months until my grandmother gave us hers when moving, so I feel your pain. We can prep for no oven with the microwave / toaster oven (left by a lodger) and moving the fridge/freezer into another room. But the washing machine will be a pain... might have to suck it up and pay for the laundrette. Hand washing/drying won't work in January.

Sounds like you are far more hands on than us! Does it save a lot of the cost?
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    michelle09 wrote: »

They are! We were without an oven for 14 months until my grandmother gave us hers when moving, so I feel your pain. We can prep for no oven with the microwave / toaster oven (left by a lodger) and moving the fridge/freezer into another room. But the washing machine will be a pain... might have to suck it up and pay for the laundrette. Hand washing/drying won't work in January.

Sounds like you are far more hands on than us! Does it save a lot of the cost?

Oooh, no - we're not *that* hands on, really - taking out (cupboards and knocking up floor) is ok. We have put in kitchen before, in our BTL property, but this is a bespoke, handmade one so we're just doing the 'destroying' part and have professionals in to do plumbing, electrics, flooring, plastering and fitting (and may even pay for someone to paint the walls :o:o) It does save - it's paying for time to remove and to dispose, which we should be able to cope with (last time we hired a big skip, but we are selling our current granite worktops and might sell some of our current kitchen cabinets, as they're also bespoke ones - and every bit of money in on this will go a teeny tiny way to offset the outrageous cost! :D

I'm torn between throwing money at issues to get them done or waiting for OH to do them - some are simple, but time consuming - and I've been waiting.... and waiting... and time spent on DIY is time which could be spent doing something more fun :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure