PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In today!

3 bread buns
    8 HM corned beef pasties!
  • pm2326
    Options
    Over last 4 days..

Outs -

4 bread buns
    1 portion savoury mince
    1 fish cake
    1 portion beans & hotdogs
    1 portion filled pasta
    3 rashers bacon

No ins!
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys. I'm hopefully moving in a couple of weeks. Not sure how you all do this challenge. You seem to say what goes into and out of the freezer? I have decided to pick at least one ingredient out if the freezer or cupboard every day and make a dish and try not to add anything else. Sound sensible? I may pop in from time to time looking for inspiration. I think one thing that I have learned is that it's not always the best idea to buy YS stuff just because it is very cheap and just chuck it in the freezer. It means I end up ignoring the things that we just don't really like.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • pm2326
    Options
    Hi Rosie

I use this challenge to help me set a meal plan each week, and to make sure I use stuff up that I freeze rather than just keeping adding until I can't squeeze anything else in.

That said...I can't resist an offer

Today will be

Out - 1 beef burger & oven chips

In - 10 bread buns
    6 packs 500g mince (lidl offer)

Tomorrow could be another add day if I go back for more mince, but this time I'll batch cooking it first into chilli, bolognese etc
  • pm2326
    edited 11 May 2015 at 11:28AM
    Options
    Ok, didn't buy anymore mince so no more added to freezer so far!

Out -(yesterday & today)

1 bagel
    1 seeded bun
    1 wrap
    1 portion meatballs
    1 portion honey mustard chicken
    2 jam sponge puddings
  • barneydee_2
    barneydee_2 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    Out of the fridge yesturday,1/2 chorizo sausage ,cold new potatoes, 1/2 packet feta cheese, eggs.
    Today I have a packet of frozen paella mix, some paella rice.
    So making some head way & saving money lol
    Dee x
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
  • Have started to eat out of freezer again, was doing OK couple of years ago but have gone rogue so will just have to make big effort again. Anyone else in same situation?
    Have made a list of one drawer
    Freezer Bottom shelf

Big bag beef mince
    1 portion chopped onion
    2 portions dried herbs
    1 portion quorn chicken
    1 tub turkey fat
    2 x pork medallions
    2 small milk
    HM waffles
    2 cooked sausages
    Bag chopped celery
    Cooked mince
    Pork chop
    ? berst buy ? Not sure what it was I said when recording the contents Surprise !!!!
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Options
    I am the same I also was doing so well .....I went totally rogue so much so I bought a new upright freezer so have that achest freezer and the half with the fridge:-(
    I will work on one drawer at a time will come back when I have listed the contents!
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Found 4 packs of mince in my freezer dated 2011 - defrosted and they smelled and looked OK so now have a large pot of bolognaise sauce which I am just about to make lasagne with. Also cleared out the packets cupboard and disposed of anything dated before 2014 (well you have to start slowly) :D
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Aim for the next 5 weeks until at least the end of January to use only stuff from my freezer and hoping that the only fresh stuff I have to buy will be fruit and veg.Stocked up before Christmas with UHT milk and I'm not worried about bread as I no longer eat it Have lots of packets of crispbread and crackers in store. I had quite a few odds and ends of stuff in food baskets as well given to me over Christmas so I am hopeing for a fantastically frugal January :):):)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback