Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fran2511
    • By Fran2511 18th Nov 19, 4:56 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Fran2511
    Flight cancellation - Wizz Air
    • 18th Nov 19, 4:56 PM
    Flight cancellation - Wizz Air 18th Nov 19 at 4:56 PM
    Hello,
    My partner and I recently booked a long weekend in Porto (through a third party) flying with Wizz Air (Oct 19) and due to rain, the return flight was cancelled into LTN. The option at the time was to be transferred onto the next flight (72 hours later) or to book ourselves an alternative flight and claim a refund. Due to being unable to take more time off work we opted to book a return flight ourselves for later that night, however it was into Bristol (£300+) where we had to book a hire car (£100) to LTN to collect our car to return home.
    We submitted a claim to Wizz Air for the refund of the rebooked flights and car hire however they quoted that it was ‘extraordinary circumstances caused by bad weather’ and therefore they would only refund the cost of the original cancelled flight tickets. There was a bit of rain that day and a few flights were delayed by a few hours however, Wizz Air chose to cancel their flight (I may add it was the ONLY flight cancelled and we have photographs of the departure board to show this) and within 30 minutes of the flight being cancelled, the rain stopped.
    My question is that I don’t believe this counts as an extraordinary circumstance enough for them to justify their cancellation and leave us with very little options and therefore, what is our next step? Can we escalate this and have a realistic prospect of reimbursement?
    Thank you
Page 1
    • JPears
    • By JPears 18th Nov 19, 5:19 PM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    JPears
    • 18th Nov 19, 5:19 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 5:19 PM
    It doesn't matter what the cause of the dealy or cancellation, Whizz air are still liable for your alternative transport/re-routing.
    Articles 5 and 8 of the 261/2004 regualtion.
    I would be very suspicious of the reason and therefore you may also be due compensation. Which is separate from re-routing costs. Don't accept a refund as the airlines seem to think this means they can wash their hands of any claims.
    So you are due:
    1. Additonal costs of your alternative flights AND car hire to get to Luton, over what you paid for the whizz air flights.
    2. Possibly compensation for the short notice cancellation.
    Put your flight details into Botts online and EUClaim to give you and indication of possible compensation.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Fran2511
    • By Fran2511 18th Nov 19, 7:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fran2511
    • 18th Nov 19, 7:20 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 7:20 PM
    Hello
    Thank you for responding so quickly. Are we better to go back to the airline and get into an email battle with them or are we better to push it onto another authority and if so, who? Thanks
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 19th Nov 19, 7:10 AM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    legal magpie
    • 19th Nov 19, 7:10 AM
    • 19th Nov 19, 7:10 AM
    Follow the advice in the final sentence of the post from J Pears before doing anything else
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,084Posts Today

8,024Users online

Martin's Twitter