Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 5th Nov 19, 5:13 PM
    • 1,271Posts
    • 703Thanks
    Waterlily24
    Multi fuel Stoves
    • 5th Nov 19, 5:13 PM
    Multi fuel Stoves 5th Nov 19 at 5:13 PM
    Can anyone tell me why you can't burn coal in one of these stoves.
    We don't want to buy an expensive one but all the ones we've looked at say you can't burn coal.

We are replacing an existing one which we burnt coal in and wonder if that is why a couple of inside plates have failed.

Having said that when we got it it said nothing about not burning coal.

For some reason we can't get in touch with the makers, I'm thinking they have gone bust but not sure.
Page 2
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 7th Nov 19, 5:18 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    I know a lot of you will say tut tut but hubby fitted the fire himself including all the chimney stuff. It's been checked and signed off.

The lounge is an extension and the chimney was built for a multifuel burner. The annoying bit was that we weren't allowed to put the chimney brest on the outside of the building so it annoyingly sticks out in the lounge lol.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 7th Nov 19, 6:35 PM
    • 5,359 Posts
    • 6,772 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I'm fairly sure my insurance policy requires flues to be swept annually (would need to double check). But even if it doesn't, its a sure bet the insurance Co would try to wriggle out of paying a claim in the event of a chimney fire. For the sake of 45, I'd rather not give them the chance.
    Originally posted by FreeBear
    I think I made it clear in my previous posts that I am a great believer in using a professional sweep, so, of course, I agree that it is worth the price. However, It is important that myths and legends are laid to rest when misleading.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 7th Nov 19, 6:37 PM
    • 5,359 Posts
    • 6,772 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I know a lot of you will say tut tut but hubby fitted the fire himself including all the chimney stuff. It's been checked and signed off.

The lounge is an extension and the chimney was built for a multifuel burner. The annoying bit was that we weren't allowed to put the chimney brest on the outside of the building so it annoyingly sticks out in the lounge lol.
    Originally posted by Waterlily24
    If the installation has been signed off as conforming to building regulations, no fair minded person would quibble, I'd have thought. I take my hat off to anyone who has he skill to do a job like that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,583Posts Today

7,551Users online

Martin's Twitter