Hidden Disabilities Lanyard

Options
If you have a hidden disability such as autism then get yourself one of these
The Sunflower Lanyard Scheme® was originally created to act as a discreet sign to staff and work colleagues that the wearer (or somebody who is with them) has a hidden disability and requires additional assistance.
The Sunflower Lanyard Scheme® was first launched at Gatwick Airport in May 2016. It has now been adopted in the UK by most of the major airport, supermarket and railway companies, as well as in the NHS. Each day, many more organisations are joining the scheme and it is also starting to be known globally. With this increased awareness, Sunflower Lanyard wearers benefit more widely from help being offered to make their daily living a little easier
you get them here
https://www.hiddendisabilitiesstore.com/products-19/products.html

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,424 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 October 2019 at 6:47PM
    Options
    Nice - they'd be perfect for putting on keyring cards from stickmancommunications.co.uk if you need a quick and easy way to summarise the kind of help you need.

(Postage £2.50 for the lanyard though, FYI. A bit more worth it if you want to buy multiples, or some of the other products at the same time.)
  • Bonniepurple
    Options
    I was originally against them, but, having just experienced a place which blithely said “if you’re not coping, speak to a member of staff”, I am going to get one. I am autistic, dyspraxic and a part time wheelchair user. A key part of autism is communication difficulties- especially when stressed!

Needless to same, I will not be returning to said venue!
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I found lanyards are available from the airport. Sent an e mail and one arrived in the post by return free of charge.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • dearbarbie
    dearbarbie Posts: 566 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2019 at 11:37AM
    Options
    Highly recommend! I have ADHD and didn't realise how stressful I found airports until I was diagnosed this year in my 30s, I thought everyone was just like me!

At Manchester Airport in September, I picked mine up. The airline desk staff were lovely (the queue was so long and people were getting anxious/shouty about luggage weights) but they were very patient with me and directed me to a different security queue with was nice and quiet. Also had a member of staff there wearing a lanyard so I felt less ridiculous. I had to have bags investigated (stress max or what) but again, I noticed the care that the customs officer took with me to explain what was going on (versus previous experience!)

I was allowed to board the flight in the priority group (this may be airline-dependent though - do check) meaning I avoided the big rush and had more time to get settled on the plane (sadly this only works for departures from the UK participant airports).

When I returned to the UK again, I was ushered into the priority/disabled passport queue. Made my journey so much easier, and you can do it in groups/family/whomever is travelling with you - so you don't even have to point out who is the person with extra needs if you're/your child is feeling embarrassed about it.

ALSO: your airline may have a special assistance thing for hidden disabilities. I emailed mine (was Thomas Cook Airlines, back in September) and they reserved seats (and the priority boarding) on both my outgoing and return flights, free of charge.
    :A
  • cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sainsburys have these lanyards in store at the moment at the customer services desks.
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    My experience is that nobody knows what it is
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts