Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 17th Sep 19, 6:11 PM
    • 214Posts
    • 96Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    MoneySaving tips for disabled people
    • 17th Sep 19, 6:11 PM
    MoneySaving tips for disabled people 17th Sep 19 at 6:11 PM
    On average, life can cost a whopping £583 more each month if you're disabled, according to disability charity Scope. So we've rounded up as many tips and tricks for disabled MoneySavers as we can Ė from knowing your consumer rights and what adjustments firms should make for you, to how to get a free (or cheap) key to accessible toilets or a 'free' cinema ticket for a friend/carer.

Read the full guide: MoneySaving tips for disabled people
    Last edited by MSE Sarah; 16-10-2019 at 4:05 PM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • CollinT
    • By CollinT 19th Sep 19, 1:00 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    CollinT
    If you are an injured/disabled veteran and receive a war disablement pension, there is the free Transport of London Oyster card. You don't have to live in London to get it and you can travel free on the buses/tube/trams/trains in and around London. Also gives a discount on the Emirates Cable car over the Thames and the River Bus/Boats.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/veterans-oyster-photocard?intcmp=54722#on-this-page-2

Also if on Motability, a grant of £660 if you need an automatic car - it is to help cover for the difference in advanced payments between manual and automatic cars on Motability. It is not means tested either.

and the free AA membership - Disabled Drivers Assistance complimentary membership card.
    • wheeligr8
    • By wheeligr8 19th Sep 19, 9:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    wheeligr8
    Warm Front Discount
    If you're in receipt of dwp benefits, you can ask your energy supplier for this benefit, it's usually just the big suppliers that offer it. The benefit is £140 towards your electricity account and now is about the time to ask.
    • Rory OConnor
    • By Rory OConnor 20th Sep 19, 4:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rory OConnor
    Sunflower Lanyard for hidden disabilities.
    The Sunflower Lanyard indicates to others that the wearer may need additional assistance, time etc whilst travelling, via airports, trans etc, with or without careers. Works well throughout the EU, search Web for Sunflower Lanyard.
    Free at many outlets.

ROC
    • Deborah Mary
    • By Deborah Mary 25th Sep 19, 12:59 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Deborah Mary
    If you need to phone an organization but cannot hear or speak clearly, you can use the free Next Generation Text app. https://www.ngts.org.uk/ A trained Relay Assistant will speak as you type, and type as the person you're calling speaks. The Relay Assistants are as helpful as can be. Highly recommended.
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 25th Sep 19, 1:45 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 5,696 Thanks
    Fen1
    https://www.bemyeyes.com/

Be My Eyes is a free app that connects blind and low-vision people with sighted volunteers and company representatives for visual assistance through a live video call
    • Doreeny
    • By Doreeny 25th Sep 19, 10:15 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Doreeny
    Lots of posts on e.bay invite you to inspect and try wheelchairs and electric mobility scooters before purchasing. Makes sense as these are larger items usually collected.
    • zekeymg
    • By zekeymg 26th Sep 19, 1:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    zekeymg
    Resources
    I have a disabled 10 year old daughter. She attends a special school in Sheffield. I work in the family services for the same charity.
    Iíve been working on a resource list for families in South Yorkshire with disabled children and young adults. It contains information such as national charities, grants, equipment as well as local information.
    Hereís the link-

.pacessheffield.org.uk/befriendingservice/resources/

hope it helps a few families on the forum too.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 27th Sep 19, 8:39 AM
    • 9,736 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    If you're in receipt of dwp benefits, you can ask your energy supplier for this benefit, it's usually just the big suppliers that offer it. The benefit is £140 towards your electricity

account and now is about the time to ask.
    Originally posted by wheeligr8

You also must have a combined income below £16,190 gross !
    WW3 is coming - it's been almost 75 years since the last one - the next one will be FAR worse !
    So what's a few squabbles between politicians ??
    • gingerbreadmen
    • By gingerbreadmen 27th Sep 19, 9:05 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    gingerbreadmen
    Lots of posts on e.bay invite you to inspect and try wheelchairs and electric mobility scooters before purchasing. Makes sense as these are larger items usually collected.
    Originally posted by Doreeny
    But unfortunately against ebay rules
    • psouth
    • By psouth 15th Oct 19, 10:34 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    psouth
    My local Fire brigade fit smoke alarms for free. On their last visit I was offered an additional alarm in the bedroom which has a flashing light, louder sound and vibrates the bed. This is because I am hearing impaired and my OH and I take medication which makes us drowsy.
    • joycejim
    • By joycejim 15th Oct 19, 10:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    joycejim
    I cannot work out how to post something new, so will just add here... Blue badge holders do not have to pay the London congestion charge. Register your car(s) on the TFL website. £10 one-off payment last as long as your blue badge.
    • craobhan
    • By craobhan 16th Oct 19, 1:07 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    craobhan
    I did not know that PIP lower rate mobility can get me 50% off road tax. I have had my PIP for years now. However the instructions in the blog say you need to pay up front. Why does this not apply to those who pay the tax by monthly direct debit? Or does it and there are instructions hidden away somewhere on DVLA website?
    • Radge Badger
    • By Radge Badger 16th Oct 19, 6:31 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Radge Badger
    Get a free 'offer me a seat' badge for public transport
    Scotrail are now trialling these on the main Edinburgh to Glasgow route, badges available at mainline stations in these towns, according to website.
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 16th Oct 19, 2:16 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    Blog article is now here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/consumer-rights-and-moneysaving-for-disabled-people/

The 50% tax reduction for standard rate PIP mobility - does that also require the vehicle to be solely for the disabled person's use?
    • Sashahound
    • By Sashahound 16th Oct 19, 4:16 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sashahound
    Vat free building supplies
    My neighbour who is registered disabled gets items for the renovation of his sons house vat free. The onus is on the supplier to determine the disabled vat status and to save paperwork the majority of suppliers don't bother to check, let alone HMRC.
    • Chorlie
    • By Chorlie 16th Oct 19, 4:58 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    Chorlie
    You can also get a VAT exemption on a new car....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-relief-on-adapted-motor-vehicles-for-disabled-people-and-charities-notice-1002
    • Chorlie
    • By Chorlie 16th Oct 19, 5:02 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    Chorlie
    If you have disabled road tax, you don’t pay the London Congestion Charge

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/discounts-and-exemptions
    • JMT67
    • By JMT67 17th Oct 19, 11:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JMT67
    First time Iíve ever posted but just wanted to advise that anyone with a Hidden Disability can obtain a lanyard at Manchester Airport which will aid their journey from departures to arrivals on your return from any trip. Simply go to the Assistance Desk in any terminal.
    • CollinT
    • By CollinT 18th Oct 19, 11:44 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    CollinT
    First time Iíve ever posted but just wanted to advise that anyone with a Hidden Disability can obtain a lanyard at Manchester Airport which will aid their journey from departures to arrivals on your return from any trip. Simply go to the Assistance Desk in any terminal.
    Originally posted by JMT67

Likewise with Heathrow.

Infact if you are due to fly into/out of/or connect at LHR in the next 6 months, Heathrow Assistance will post to you a Sunflower 'Hidden Disability' lanyard in advance of your trip free of charge.

Details here: https://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/assistance-at-heathrow/hidden-disabilities
    • Cherie1w
    • By Cherie1w 19th Oct 19, 11:58 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cherie1w
    VAT Exemption
    I recently bought new batteries for my mobility scooter from Amazon and when I enquired with the vendor about VAT exemption I was told that because they only trade online they cannot by law offer VAT exemption for disabled customers. The batteries were purposely sold for mobility scooters and wheelchairs and not for general use. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,033Posts Today

7,011Users online

Martin's Twitter