Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 17th Sep 19, 6:11 PM
    • 214Posts
    • 96Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    MoneySaving tips for disabled people
    • 17th Sep 19, 6:11 PM
    MoneySaving tips for disabled people 17th Sep 19 at 6:11 PM
    On average, life can cost a whopping £583 more each month if you're disabled, according to disability charity Scope. So we've rounded up as many tips and tricks for disabled MoneySavers as we can Ė from knowing your consumer rights and what adjustments firms should make for you, to how to get a free (or cheap) key to accessible toilets or a 'free' cinema ticket for a friend/carer.

Read the full guide: MoneySaving tips for disabled people
    Last edited by MSE Sarah; 16-10-2019 at 4:05 PM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 17th Sep 19, 7:02 PM
    • 10,338 Posts
    • 13,250 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 17th Sep 19, 7:02 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 7:02 PM
    If you use an electric wheelchair, take the charger with you and you can recharge for free in many supermarkets and shopping centres if you ask nicely if you can plug in while you have lunch.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • fryster2006
    • By fryster2006 17th Sep 19, 8:59 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    fryster2006
    • 17th Sep 19, 8:59 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 8:59 PM
    In addition to providing a free ticket to a companion, Arsenal disability tickets are also half the normal cost of a ticket. My son is disabled and it means that he is able to attend with my assistance and also makes it a lot more affordable!
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 17th Sep 19, 9:34 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    • 17th Sep 19, 9:34 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 9:34 PM
    If you use an electric wheelchair, take the charger with you and you can recharge for free in many supermarkets and shopping centres if you ask nicely if you can plug in while you have lunch.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Really? That's very cool! I shall have to keep it in mind for whenever I'm well enough again to go out for more than a few hours.

If you need a basic powered wheelchair not covered by the NHS but can't afford one new, do your research on different models, decide which would likely be most appropriate for you, then look on eBay. (Make sure you can test it out first before committing to buy though.) Also many mobility companies have sales on ex-demo models or stock clearance - not as cheap as eBay but they are practically new and usually come with the standard warranties.

Ebay is also good for other mobility equipment or daily living aids, but if it's from a business seller make sure they don't charge you VAT.
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 17th Sep 19, 9:57 PM
    • 17,988 Posts
    • 22,279 Thanks
    Poppy9
    • 17th Sep 19, 9:57 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 9:57 PM
    You can use industrial injuries to get disabled rail card if you donít claim PIP. Just email them . Same for cinema card.
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
    • houseofloxley
    • By houseofloxley 17th Sep 19, 10:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    houseofloxley
    • 17th Sep 19, 10:17 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 10:17 PM
    If you are disabled, or your travelling companion is disabled, do request Special Assistance from your airline when flying. My partner is disabled and walks with crutches: when we arrive at the airport, after check-in at the Special Assistance desk, she has a separate seating area in which to wait. She is collected by wheelchair and taken speedily through security - no queueing. I trot along behind! She is often loaded first onto the plane. She has a free suitcase allowance for medicines etc. She and I have free seat allocations. At the destination airport, she is met and taken to the bus stop, taxi rank etc. All this, free of charge, arranged through Ryanair! They may not be everyone's favourite airline, but they have taken good care of my partner on every journey. Once, when she was not collected promptly from the plane, the captain stayed with us and refused to leave - even though he had another plane to fly. She was his passenger, and his responsibility! Great Irish hospitality!
    • King Drax I
    • By King Drax I 18th Sep 19, 9:03 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    King Drax I
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:03 AM
    Water bills reduction with WaterSure
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:03 AM
    I'm a customer of Southwest Water and my daughter receives PIP and ESA benefits. She also has a skin condition which necessitates her taking regular baths containing a medicinal bath oil.

SouthWest Water run a scheme called 'Water Sure' which means we pay a capped price for our water (it's about £48.00 per month) even though we are on a meter. We applied for it on SWW's website, and it saves us about £500 per year.

I don't know if you have to be in receipt of at least one of these benefits as well as having a skin condition - I think you do need both - but it's worth asking for sure. Thinking on it, I do believe you have to be on a low income (hence the benefits proof) as well as having the skin condition.

To prove the skin condition, we just had to provide a copy of her repeat prescription list which has the medicinal bath oil listed on there.
    • Jan Tordoff
    • By Jan Tordoff 18th Sep 19, 12:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Jan Tordoff
    • 18th Sep 19, 12:10 PM
    Free Prescriptions
    • 18th Sep 19, 12:10 PM
    You can get free prescriptions if you have a disability that denies you being able to leave your own home without the help of another person.
    I am a wheelchair user & I am on lots of medication, I always paid for the yearly pre- payment scheme where you pay a fixed amount every month or a 1 off payment so it didn't matter how many items I had on prescription.
    After 5 years of paying this way someone told me that I should be entitled to free prescriptions because I could not leave my own home without the help of my carer.
    I applied & received a medical exemption card that lasts for 3 years, there after a new one is sent every 3 years............
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 18th Sep 19, 1:46 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    • 18th Sep 19, 1:46 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 1:46 PM
    You can link a Disabled Person's Railcard to an Oyster Card https://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/the-benefits/#Oyster%20pay%20as%20you%20go
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 18th Sep 19, 2:21 PM
    • 9,737 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    You can get free prescriptions if you have a disability that denies you being able to leave your own home without the help of another person.
    I am a wheelchair user & I am on lots of medication, I always paid for the yearly pre- payment scheme where you pay a fixed amount every month or a 1 off payment so it didn't matter how many items I had on prescription.
    After 5 years of paying this way someone told me that I should be entitled to free prescriptions because I could not leave my own home without the help of my carer.
    I applied & received a medical exemption card that lasts for 3 years, there after a new one is sent every 3 years............
    Originally posted by Jan Tordoff

Thanks for this - is there a link ?
    All that I can see is :
    Am I entitled to free prescriptions?

You can get free NHS prescriptions if, at the time the prescription is dispensed, you:
    • are 60 or over
    • are under 16
    • are 16 to 18 and in full-time education
    • are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx)
    • have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx)
    • have a continuing physical disability that prevents you going out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx
    • hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 18-09-2019 at 2:31 PM.
    WW3 is coming - it's been almost 75 years since the last one - the next one will be FAR worse !
    So what's a few squabbles between politicians ??
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 18th Sep 19, 2:44 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    Thanks for this - is there a link ?
    All that I can see is :
    Am I entitled to free prescriptions?

You can get free NHS prescriptions if, at the time the prescription is dispensed, you:
    • are 60 or over
    • are under 16
    • are 16 to 18 and in full-time education
    • are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx)
    • have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx)
    • have a continuing physical disability that prevents you going out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx
    • hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    ^ that's the relevant bit
    • lidbury
    • By lidbury 18th Sep 19, 3:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lidbury
    Free or cheap tolls
    Disabled blue badge holders can get free or reduced road tolls. Merseyside residents can apply for free passage in the Mersey Tunnels-250 transits a year. Apply through Merseytravel. People outside Halton can get free transit on the Merseygateway bridge for 3 years after a £5 fee. The M6 toll also has a similar scheme+it was £15 for 3 years when I last applied 6 years ago.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 18th Sep 19, 4:31 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 5,713 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Thanks for this - is there a link
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Here, with some other useful stuff too:

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-help-health-costs
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 18th Sep 19, 4:40 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 5,713 Thanks
    unrecordings
    SouthWest Water run a scheme called 'Water Sure' which means we pay a capped price for our water (it's about £48.00 per month) even though we are on a meter. We applied for it on SWW's website, and it saves us about £500 per year.

I don't know if you have to be in receipt of at least one of these benefits as well as having a skin condition - I think you do need both - but it's worth asking for sure. Thinking on it, I do believe you have to be on a low income (hence the benefits proof) as well as having the skin condition.
    Originally posted by King Drax I
    Water Sure should be supported by all water companies (Yorkshire Water do) but it's means tested, so you (if I have this the right way round) need to be on income related ESA, not contributions (and therefore also PIP doesn't count)
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th Sep 19, 5:23 PM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 36,828 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Several of us in the household are on lifechit meds & so have Medical Exemption tickets - I've recently used mine plus a snap of my prescription to get a disabled persons railcard which is seriously useful.

I bought a case for keeping mum's Blue Badge & clock together, which the family picked out as being both luridly tasteless pink and also very tactile, so easy to find in the depths of the handbag. (I became much more aware of the texture of things as a result - the optician was baffled that I'd pick glasses in seconds but agonise over a hard case so I could find it by touch!)
    • egarobar
    • By egarobar 18th Sep 19, 7:16 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    egarobar
    Water board, also cinema and theatre
    In Wales, Welsh Water have a discount scheme, and also a scheme for priority service in the event of an outage.

Also look up "hynt" - it's a card you write off for, which gives your carer free access to the cinema or theatre when they accompany you.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 18th Sep 19, 9:18 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 5,713 Thanks
    unrecordings
    In Wales, Welsh Water have a discount scheme, and also a scheme for priority service in the event of an outage.
    Originally posted by egarobar
    To mirror this info for England: Again I think all companies offer the priority service, not just water but also gas/electric, Cadent (gas infrastructure) and whatever the equivalent for electric is. I have found however that these utilities have a short memory and so less than a year after signing up you may need to remind them when that 'scheduled works' letter shows up.
    • gingerbreadmen
    • By gingerbreadmen 18th Sep 19, 10:29 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    gingerbreadmen
    Really? That's very cool! I shall have to keep it in mind for whenever I'm well enough again to go out for more than a few hours.

If you need a basic powered wheelchair not covered by the NHS but can't afford one new, do your research on different models, decide which would likely be most appropriate for you, then look on eBay. (Make sure you can test it out first before committing to buy though.) Also many mobility companies have sales on ex-demo models or stock clearance - not as cheap as eBay but they are practically new and usually come with the standard warranties.

Ebay is also good for other mobility equipment or daily living aids, but if it's from a business seller make sure they don't charge yous bay VAT.
    Originally posted by Spoonie Turtle
    This is against Ebay Rules you are not allowed to go and see the item before you buy it.
    Last edited by gingerbreadmen; 18-09-2019 at 10:31 PM.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 19th Sep 19, 6:59 AM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 5,713 Thanks
    unrecordings
    This is against Ebay Rules you are not allowed to go and see the item before you buy it.
    Originally posted by gingerbreadmen
    ...but thinking out loud, if you have a reasonable vendor and there is trust then maybe the sale can be voided on the spot and the goods 'returned' just like any other ebay purchase (?)
    • gingerbreadmen
    • By gingerbreadmen 19th Sep 19, 12:02 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    gingerbreadmen
    ...but thinking out loud, if you have a reasonable vendor and there is trust then maybe the sale can be voided on the spot and the goods 'returned' just like any other ebay purchase (?)
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    One would hope so yes. I think its madness that you can't go and view an item before you bid/buy it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

2,425Users online

Martin's Twitter