Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Comments

• Just bought myself a new jacket from Sainsburys, it is a light blue waterproof with a hood, the lining is dark blue with white spots. My old one was a disgrace but I hardly ever buy new clothes so it was an impulse and I just did it. Go me.
  • Forgot to say I've started the wrap for my daughter. The wool is nice but not the easiest to work with, the shiny bit through the wool is very subtle and you can't really see it in day light but artificial light just catches it and it looks pretty. At todays rate it is going to take me 30 hrs work to make it. I must be mad but the design is looking nice.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just bought myself a new jacket from Sainsburys, it is a light blue waterproof with a hood, the lining is dark blue with white spots. My old one was a disgrace but I hardly ever buy new clothes so it was an impulse and I just did it. Go me.

I've seen that. I thought it had a look of Joules about it. Glad to hear you've treated yourself.

Good luck with the knitting.:)
  • maman yes you're right it is a bit Joules.

I wish I could knit, I never got the hang of it but I am a crochet queen. Having worked on it for hours today I am a bit daunted but I am getting into the swing of it Maybe it is time I tried knitting again, they have a knit and natter group at the library so I could get help there.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 March 2019 at 9:22AM
    Good morning lovely ladies

SSDD23 well done on losing 3lbs, nearly at target how great is that. Bet you are feeling really pleased.

I lost 1.5 this week, bringing my total up to 4 lbs in two weeks (plus the previous 1 stone I lost on my own over the last year). I have to say I am really pleased and actually very excited that I seem to have finally cracked it. I feel so much better than this time last year.

More importantly my blood sugar levels are coming down nicely. This is what really spurs me on. Yes I want to be slim and I want to look good. I freely admit I am vain enough to want to look attractive and that I want to waft around wearing fabulous clothes but my main motivation is to reverse my diabetes, and to be fit and healthy.

I have a fair way to go yet but I am happy and confident and feeling very positive and optimistic that I am going to get there.

I have no idea how or why but somehow something has just clicked in my head and I am now finally able to forge ahead. February was truly horrible - full of sad memories and mixed emotions but I genuinely think that's all behind me now.

I have also finally made a decision what to do with my husband's ashes......it will be five years in August since his death so not before time. (Although I have known people take a lot longer to decide so maybe not so bad after all). I think that will be the final piece of the jigsaw.

Now that the wind has dropped and it's a bit warmer I'm aiming to plant a few shrubs later, then a bit of serious pampering and then off out to dinner tonight. My plan is to get the garden planted up this week. It's heavy work so I think I will just do an hour or so each day, try not to over do things.

Maman love the little sun dresses, very pretty. Well done on buying new slippers. Instead of slippers I sometimes wear canvas deck shoes which I keep just for indoors. I tend to wear those during the day when I am dressed and then slippers with my jammies......so a bit of compromise. I think Humptydumptybits is right, sometimes slippers can seem a bit "old lady". Although I have to confess I do have a secret wish to flounce around in a silk negligee and those Maribou trimmed high heeled slippers like some Hollywood 30s movie star you see in black and white films. I'd probably break my neck.....:rotfl:

Yesterday I found some amazing bargains in my favourite charity shop........including some toys for my grandson. I am going to keep a little selection of toys and books here for when he visits, so I made a start yesterday. I also bought a Wallis jacket, pistachio green wool, a navy and white cardigan and a fabulous large canvas art print for my dining room. £15 the lot. :D.

Right time to start the day......

Keeeeeep fabbing.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2019 at 9:47AM
    Just to add a bit to the tips - while having a tidy up I found a bottle of gel baby oil. I didn't like it for my body but it's made a terrific make up remover. I also had a small bottle of Superdrug Vit E oil that I'm now using up on my cuticles.
    I also bought some Lidl Lacura CC foundation. I apply mine with a brush and the coverage is great. Not heavy and really evens out skintone and seems to last well - and cheap!
    Going away for 10 days at the end of May - just a lazy beach break with a group of chums. Trying to work out if I could survive on hand luggage only as a hold case is nearly 60 squid! TBH it is a cheap holiday! I've already decided that an even shorter haircut would mean no hairdryer and suncream can double as moisturiser. Any more tips from you lovely ladies would be very welcome ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wish I could knit, I never got the hang of it but I am a crochet queen. Having worked on it for hours today I am a bit daunted but I am getting into the swing of it Maybe it is time I tried knitting again, they have a knit and natter group at the library so I could get help there.

Apologies humpty:o. I knew it was a crocheted wrap. I can knit and sew but I've never managed crochet. I think going to knit and natter (or stitch and b*tch as it's often called) is a great idea. :)

I agree about a foundation brush silva. I can get much smoother and lighter coverage using a brush and it seems to make the product last longer too. If you like really light coverage then mix a little foundation with moisturiser first. I bought my brush from Body Shop.:)

I'm a big slipper fan although when it's really warm I often just leave my sandals on indoors. Far from being an old lady thing, young people seem to love their slippers in all sorts of styles from boots to cats and dogs. I must admit that I used to buy those tartan ones with pom poms just to be ironic.:D

I'd definitely go hand luggage only for a cheap, beach holiday silva. You can wear your heaviest/bulkiest clothes on the plane if you want to take a coat or trainers. I use my beach bag as my handbag (small bag inside for evenings ) but you have to be prepared to be able to put it inside your suitcase, Airlines vary on how fussy they are about just one bag although none of them object to duty free! :mad:Personally I couldn't manage without my hairdryer but maybe you could agree amongst your friends to just take one between you. I have a travel one so it is a bit smaller. Sometimes it's worth (again you could agree between you) buying some sun cream and aftersun (I use body lotion) and even shampoo and conditioner when you get there or airside in Boots. You could buy large bottles and share it round (take some empty plastic bottles). Daytime you'll probably be in swimwear and a cover up or sarong. They don't take up much room. You just need a dress/shorts/skirt for some sightseeing/shopping. For evenings then separates can be better as you can ring the changes with tops. As you're out in the coolest part of the day just after a shower then evening things can be worn a few times (and sometimes worn for the last time during the day). It's worth checking whether your hotel provides beach towels as they can be really bulky. I have a Turkish pestemal which is great and a friend has one of those 'magic' towels that's a bit like a microfibre cloth. I'm getting excited now, I wish I was coming too!:D

Dancing tonight so I'll be getting fabbed up. Have a good day all.:)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have got some of those big thick Danish hygge socks......I love them. :rotfl:

Silva.......I would go with hand luggage too. If you google there are loads of ideas on how it can be done. Some people can go for months on end and mange ok so I'm sure a week should be fine. Some great tips from Maman. I think if you know your destination is going to be warm and sunny it can be easier to pack for two weeks abroad than a weekend in the U.K. :rotfl:

Just had a session in the garden. The soil is very wet and heavy so it was hard work. I managed to plant 8 shrubs in just over an hour so not too bad. I am just going to pace myself and do an hour a day till the job is done. An hour is quite long enough. Don't want to wreck my back.

Although it's not sunny it's actually quite mild so I'm sat on my patio with a cuppa.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Maman - thank you! I used to find when I travelled for business that colour coordination worked well to cut down on luggage so I'll probably keep to something like black and white or navy and white. Sadly beach towels arnt provided so may buy one there if I can't squeeze one in. Generally I work in three's - one on, one in the wash and one ready to wear ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello All :)

I don't post often on here because I don't feel like I'm doing very much fabbing :(

I'm working on losing the weight but it's going to take time, I have just over 8 stone to lose, and don't want to spend money on clothing until I've at least dropped a dress, even though I feel very frumpy (I think I'd feel frumpy in anything until some of the weight is lost!)

So, I'm managing to keep the greys at bay, have quarterly hair cuts, a bit of jewellery and perfume and a bit of a nail manicure and strengthner each week.

I've bought myself a few kitchen things for some of the slimming world meals that I want to make and that has made me think that perhaps I need to spend some money updating other areas at the moment, seeing as I don't really want to spend a lot on clothes.

I can remember going to slimming world for the first time and having just over 2 stone to lose. There was a lady in my group who had a lot of weight to lose (much like myself now) and I can remember wondering how you manage to let it get to that stage before doing something.

Oh, the arrogance of youth! What goes around, comes around and here I am.

But this was and now is 'the next thing on my list' and I know I'll get there..

I do love reading everything you're all getting up to though. I can't to get there :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure