Does PIP get backdated to claim date?

Hi,

Just a quick query regarding PIP benefits. If a claim is agreed, does the money get paid from this date, or does it get backdated to the date you originally rang up to start your claim?

I have tried searching for this, but can't seem to get a straight answer. I was hoping someone here might be able to help.

Apologies if I have managed to miss something obvious somewhere!
:coffee: Don't dream it, be it :coffee:

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's backdated to original claim date.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • suse*
    suse* Posts: 303 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    For mine I got a lump sum payment then monthly after that. I didn't double check though if it was when I phoned or from when I posted the forms back, but it was a good few months money in one go.
    [STRIKE]Original Mortgage 07/07 £160000 LTV 100% [/STRIKE]Remortgaged 10/13 £118000 LTV 84%
    Outstanding 02/12/14 £107652.40
    LTV 76%
  • marcus6
    marcus6 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Its backdated to the Phone call ;)
  • Hey guys . quick question have just found out that my pip claim has not been successful . I am asking for a MR . I have just been informed though that if my MR is accepted then I won't get the backpay to the original phone call ( 12 months) and will only get it backdatedb to when the original decision was made ??? . is this correct and if so how could they possibly justify this. Thanks in advance .
  • Homecoming
    Homecoming Posts: 26 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2014 at 1:24PM
    Indie Kid, Suse and Marcus, thank you for the information! Apologies for taking so long to reply, I have had a lot going on and have neglected logging in for a while.

My claim did go through and, as you all advised, I received the backdated payment before my monthly payment started.

Thomas, I'm sorry that I can't help with your query (I genuinely don't know, to be honest I'm not even sure what MR stands for - I presume it is to do with appealing the decision?), but didn't want to ignore your post. Hopefully someone will come along who knows more about the system.

Who told you about the backdating policy? If it was the people dealing with your claim, could you maybe ask them to send you / tell you where to find any relevant documentation that confirms this is the case?
    :coffee: Don't dream it, be it :coffee:
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Hey guys . quick question have just found out that my pip claim has not been successful . I am asking for a MR . I have just been informed though that if my MR is accepted then I won't get the backpay to the original phone call ( 12 months) and will only get it backdatedb to when the original decision was made ??? . is this correct and if so how could they possibly justify this. Thanks in advance .
    Was this a new claim, or were you previously claiming DLA.
  • Hey guys . quick question have just found out that my pip claim has not been successful . I am asking for a MR . I have just been informed though that if my MR is accepted then I won't get the backpay to the original phone call ( 12 months) and will only get it backdatedb to when the original decision was made ??? . is this correct and if so how could they possibly justify this. Thanks in advance .

Thomas, not sure who advised you of that, but it's wrong. I started my claim for PIP on November 12th, and had a decision in July. I applied for an MR and was granted enhanced mobility which wasn't on the original decision. In my letter from DWP it clearly states that they will back pay to the time you first applied on the telephone.

If you already had some monies from the decision, such as awarded standard rate and the MR result stated you should have been in the enhanced rate. In that case you would get the monetary difference between the two dating back to the original claim. Hope that makes sense. Good luck
    Everything I know, I've learned from Judge Judy. :p

"I have no life, that's why i'm interfering in yours." :p
  • Kia Ora,

I just revived (what I believe is) pip backdated payment. However I am very confused. My back payment goes back 8 to 9 weeks. (lucky me) however the amount I got sent doesn't add up.

for example 55.10 or 82.3 a week. Times both of them by 8 or 9 weeks I don't get the sum of 477.29 onto my calculator. So I wish to know what is going on.

I know some people would say stuff like "the government doesn't have to give you any money" by that logic we don't have to give the government any tax payments.

I hope someone can help me, chur
  • I made a slight mistake. It is 427.29 not 477.29 even then nothing adds up
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    its paid in arrears, so the most recent period wont be included
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts