Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Jet2.com ONLY

Comments

• I'll also post an update to what I originally posted in the main thread:

Partner and I were delayed by 5 hours on a Jet2 flight from Barcelona to Leeds Bradford in May this year, due to seemingly minor faults with 2 or 3 planes (broken seat, something else I can't remember then removal of luggage of people deciding not to fly out on the plane coming to get us from Leeds, as their delay was over 5 hours too).

I sent a claim for £400 in on 19 November (template letter and copies of boarding passes) and received an acknowledgement on 27 November, but nothing since.

On 5th Jan, I emailed the CAA to see if they can give them a prod and they replied saying that they were taking the email as 'information only' and I should give Jet2 8 weeks to reply (not clear whether they meant 8 weeks from when I contacted Jet2 or 8 weeks from 5th Jan when I emailed CAA) and if I hadn't had a response in that time, if I went back to CAA, they would prompt Jet2 for me. They also said they would advise me on any reply I received from Jet2.

I'll be generous and give Jet2 until the end of Feb to respond and if they don't come up with compensation by then I'll go back to the CAA to see what they can do.

I'll also keep an eye on how people are doing with MCOL with a view to issuing a claim if I'm otherwise unsuccessful via the above.
  • mrscb
    mrscb Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Further to my claim letter u sent recorded delivery in Monday I have today received a reply dated 21 Nov 2012!!! Very odd!It states. Thank you for your letter received on 15 January 2013..
    We only retain correspondence for a limited period and in addition have a new IT system and customer care process, etc etc..
    They have asked me to resubmit with all the details and info from my original letter.... They are obviously stalling but I ain't giving up lol.
    :beer: Am thinking of a new one:beer:
  • Update to post #25
    Got a letter back today from Jet2 basically saying they WILL NOT give me any details of the' flight safety short coming ' that caused our delay due to their 'Confidentiality and data control procedures'. This gives me nothing to make a judgement as to weather they are correct in calling this an extraordinary circumstance. I told them I would have given the CAA any information Jet2 gave for their Judgement. Jet2 simply say the would cooperate with the CAA. Yet another letter to write.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    yorke see my reply on main board.
    I think Jet2 are going to delay, procrastinate, resist and squirm at every point they can on claims, Clearly in yours, they haven't a clue what the actual facts are?
    At least you got a reply from them
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • anthony2312
    anthony2312 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 19 January 2013 at 7:37PM
    I had a 6 hour delay at Tenerife flying to Manchester on 02.01.12

Scheduled flight time was 18.35, actual was 00.35

Flightstats site shows they knew this at 8am that morning, nice of them not to bother telling us

My missus is a legal secretary, one of the solicitors at her place is going to chase this as a favour, so I'm bypassing all the endless letter writing
  • paultoon
    paultoon Posts: 50 Forumite
    Hi folks, just to add my experience, we were delayed more than four hours on a Jet2 flight from Newark to Newcastle in early December. Pilot advised there was a problem with the autopilot system and we were diverted to a very snowy Goose Bay in Newfoundland. It even made the local press(!), with a Jet2 spokeman citing a "technical fault indication"
    http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2012/12/11/newcastle-from-new-york-jet2-flight-diverted-after-fault-72703-32404649/

Jet2 did respond within 28 days, but cited "extraordinary circumstances" and rejected our claim. I've now written to the CAA arguing that a technical fault cannot be extraordinary circumstances.

Interestingly, after the fault was fixed at Goose Bay, the pilot told us he had to wait for written confirmation (fax?) from the CAA in England before he could take off again. So the CAA should have written record of the technical fault.

Will let you know how we get on...
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    y-o-r-k-y wrote: »
    Update to post #25
    Got a letter back today from Jet2 basically saying they WILL NOT give me any details of the' flight safety short coming ' that caused our delay due to their 'Confidentiality and data control procedures'. This gives me nothing to make a judgement as to weather they are correct in calling this an extraordinary circumstance. I told them I would have given the CAA any information Jet2 gave for their Judgement. Jet2 simply say the would cooperate with the CAA. Yet another letter to write.

It's up to the airline to *prove* that there are EC's. They have failed to do so.
    CAA or Court it is then.
  • I wondered if I would have any merit or be able to make a clain for a problem that occurred back on 12 August 2009 while travelling with Jet2(LS 880 departing at 1840).
    My party initially arrived at Alicante Airport for our journey home to find a Jet2.com representative distributing leaflets stating that our flight would be both delayed by up to 2 ½ hours, and worse still, would now terminate at Leeds Bradford and not Manchester.
    Our questions to the representative as to why, were only met with the reply “Due to technical difficulties” (standard answer I suspect which covers a multitude of scenarios), which I found even more frustrating to understand, as why can a plane that came to pick us up (with outbound passengers on), not travel that bit further and take us to our original destination ?
    We evetually left Alicante later than originally stated and arrived Leeds Airport where we were bussed to Manchester and arrived there in the small hours of the morning.
    I have tried using the Flight tracker and it states our flight LS 880 was cancelled, but I can find no further info on the flight that took us to Leeds, it just seems to have disappeared.
    I have the original Online Booking confirmation but can not remember the details of the flight that took us to Leeds.
    Please could you advise ?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Contact Jet2 for the reasons you were late arriving at MAN.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • NOWSE
    NOWSE Posts: 385 Forumite
    A number of posters say that they have emailed Jet2. Please can someone post any Jet2 emails that they may have as I have been unable to find any. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure