Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 4
  • Lou Iz
    Question about housing benefit refusal ..
    Hi there ,

I am a french citizen , and i have been living and working in the UK for over 16 years.
    I had a baby a few weeks ago , and since i separated from the father while pregnant , i am now leaving on my own with my daughter.
    I claimed the housing benefits , but they refused them to me , saying that i have only came to this country recently to have a baby.
    I have sent them evidences proving that i have been working and living here for many years , and appealed their decision.
    Now they just came back to me , with a new refusal.
    I am very worried , considering that i am on my own with a newborn child , and unable to pay my rent.
    Since I only moved in my flat , three months ago , if i break the contract , i wont get my deposit back , and my credit check will be affected.
    What are my options ??
    Many thanks
    • Redcase
    • By Redcase 3rd Oct 12, 11:15 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Redcase
    Hi

I am my dadís carer and pay towards the household bills.He takes this money as the rent for my room. I receive carers allowance and income support top up, can I try for help with the rent. He owns the house after paying the mortgage in full when my mum died. Any info greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Redcase; 03-10-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: bad spelling
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 4th Oct 12, 12:11 AM
    • 12,503 Posts
    • 8,147 Thanks
    Caz3121
    Hi

I am my dadís carer and pay towards the household bills.He takes this money as the rent for my room. I receive carers allowance and income support top up, can I try for help with the rent. He owns the house after paying the mortgage in full when my mum died. Any info greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by Redcase
    you cannot claim housing benefit when living with a close family member. Depending what you pay, you could look at it as your share of the bills and food which you would need to pay out of your IS/CA even if you were in your own place getting full rent paid
  • CAB Wyre Forest representative
    Hello Lou IZ

It seems very strange that you have been turned down for benefits. The habitual residence rule is the normal one where people from overseas are refused benefits if it is not felt that they are intending to make their home here. This does not seem to be the case with what you have told us.

The other reason may be if there is a financial interest in a former marital home but we are just guessing and the only thing that you can do at this stage is find out why you have been refused so that you have an idea how to challenge the decision. A formal appeal process must exist and you have the right to challenge a decision
    ďOfficial CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe Iíve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
    Hello Redcase

The other posters are right I'm afraid you can only claim housing benefit if you are legally liable to pay rent. It is almost always the case with family members that it will not be viewed as a commercial arrangement as your dad would not evict you if you did not pay rent.

You may be entitled to a 25% discount on you council tax and only you and your dad live in the property

"a live-in carer, whether paid or not, who spends at least 35 hours a week caring, and where the person cared for receives the higher rate of attendance allowance, or the highest rate care component of disability living allowance, or the highest rate of constant attendance allowance. This disregard does not apply where the person receiving care is the spouse, civil partner or heterosexual or same-sex partner of the carer or is the carer's child aged under 18"

can be disregarded for council tax purposes so that if there are only two adults in the house hold and one is disregarded then the property is viewed as if there were only one adult in the property.
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe Iíve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • pinkfeet
    Advice
    Hello after 12 years with the same company I have just been made redundant I have not been unemployed for over 30 years and have no idea about benefits. I am a single mum with 2 children 9 and 12 and a big mortgage, does anyone know if I can get some help? My previous job allowed me to work from home so could work around school commitments I am worried that I will struggle to find full time work that will be flexible with school run and holidays - bad times!!
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 8th Oct 12, 11:37 AM
    • 12,475 Posts
    • 14,264 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Hello after 12 years with the same company I have just been made redundant I have not been unemployed for over 30 years and have no idea about benefits. I am a single mum with 2 children 9 and 12 and a big mortgage, does anyone know if I can get some help? My previous job allowed me to work from home so could work around school commitments I am worried that I will struggle to find full time work that will be flexible with school run and holidays - bad times!!
    Originally posted by pinkfeet

You will be entitled to contribution based JSA for 26 weeks (based on your NI contributions whilst at work) I believe you can put a claim for this online or phone Job Centre Plus for further information.

Depending on your income and savings you may also be entitled to income based JSA as well. They will assess you for this when you claim the contribution based JSA.

Depending on your savings and income you may be entitled to Support for Mortgage Interest (google this) after 13 weeks and also Council Tax Benefit (straight away if you are eligible)

If you are claiming tax credits you need to inform them of your change of circumstances asap.

In the circumstances it is best to inform your lender what has happened. They may allow you to take a mortgage 'holiday' or go 'interest only' for a while.

Have you got PPI on your mortgage? (people often forget this)

Good luck with finding a new job
  • pinkfeet
    Thanks
    Hi again thanks for the info, very useful. What is contribution based JSA? I have no income as I'm no longer working and uncomfortably no savings. I will get 12 weeks statutory redundancy, do they consider this as savings?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 8th Oct 12, 12:54 PM
    • 12,475 Posts
    • 14,264 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Hi again thanks for the info, very useful. What is contribution based JSA? I have no income as I'm no longer working and uncomfortably no savings. I will get 12 weeks statutory redundancy, do they consider this as savings?
    Originally posted by pinkfeet

There are 2 types of Job Seekers Allowance - income based and contribution based.

If you have been working for approximately the last two years then you will be entitled to contribution based JSA as this is based on the National Insurance contributions you have paid.

From what you have said you will be entitled to contribution based JSA. This lasts for 26 weeks.

Contribution based JSA is not means tested. Therefore it does not make any difference whether you have lots of savings.

Income based JSA is means tested so you would only get this if you had no other income and savings under £6000.

Some people would be eligible for both contribution based JSA and income based JSA. This is because they may have worked up to when they applied but had no savings or other income.

In this case (as is yours) you will be assessed for both.

This is because income based JSA gives you access to other benefits. e.g. Housing Benefit(if you are renting) and Housing costs - called Support for Morgage Interest - for those who have a mortgage rather than renting and also Council Tax Benefit. SMI does not begin until 13 weeks after your claim.

Your redundancy money will count as capital but if it is below £6000 you will still be entitled to help.

Job Centre Plus will help you with all this so don't worry.
    Hello Pinkfeet

Sorry to hear your news. You may want to post details of your redundancy payments on the cab employment site to make sure that you have been paid correctly.

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/ has a benefits calculator and it will let you know if there are benefits that you are entitled to. it will also let you put in other figures to compare such as when you are looking at other jobs and different salaries.
    • dory22
    • By dory22 9th Oct 12, 12:23 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    dory22
    hello, as of last week iv had to go part time at my job due to stress and slight depression which was adviced to me by my doctor, im still living with parents but am now looking to move out as they are part of the reason i am depressed, if i was to move out could i get housing benefit/social housing and would a letter from the doctor help me as after christmas i will only be needed at my job as and when?

many thanks.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 9th Oct 12, 7:35 AM
    • 12,503 Posts
    • 8,147 Thanks
    Caz3121
    hello, as of last week iv had to go part time at my job due to stress and slight depression which was adviced to me by my doctor, im still living with parents but am now looking to move out as they are part of the reason i am depressed, if i was to move out could i get housing benefit/social housing and would a letter from the doctor help me as after christmas i will only be needed at my job as and when?

many thanks.
    Originally posted by dory22
    re social housing; depending on where you live the waiting list could be years
    re private let and housing benefit;
    If you are under 35 you will be assessed at the shared accommodation rate, if over 35 the one-bedroom rate
    If you find the LHA for your area then use one of the benefits calculators (like turn2us) you will see what help you may or may not get. Housing benefit will be reduced by your income and any savings
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Oct 12, 10:12 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Hi folks

Quick reminder on the official CAB threads.

It's great that so many want to try and help answer questions but we would like to keep the sticky threads as official as possible so please only reply to questions after the official rep has posted their reply.

This doesn't apply to non sticky threads in the CAB board where any replies you are able to give are appreciated.

Thanks all

MSE Wendy
    Hello Dory 22

With regard to re housing there are a lot of people who are trying to get social housing and there is a very limited supply. For this reason the social landlords and councils tend to have very strict criteria about who they will offer housing to. This is usually restricted to people who are very vulnerable and in " priority need". You may fall into this category but would need to discuss with your local housing office. This link will explain a bit more about your housing options.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/housing_e/housing_finding_a_place_to_live_e/finding_accommodation.htm

If you cannot get public housing then you can rent from a private landlord.

Whoever your landlord is if you are on low income you can get help with your rent , Housing Benefit. This paid by the local authority and will be restricted to the local housing allowance and must be appropriate for your needs. This means that if you are a single person over 35 you would get help based on a one bed roomed property as a person under 35 it would be based on a room in a shared house. You would need to check with your local authority what they would be paying for your individual circumstances.http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm

Once you have this figure you will have an idea what properties you will be able to afford you can then look on www.turn2us.org.uk to see how much help you would get with any benefits.
    • goonasi
    • By goonasi 12th Oct 12, 8:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    goonasi
    Housing Benefit Advise
    Hi,
    I have multiple sclerosis, diagnosed 5 years ago and recently my wife had to quit work to become my full time carer as my condition has deteriorated. I am on incapacity benefit and DLA my wife now claims carers allowance and income support. The problem we are now facing is the housing benefit. We re-mortgaged the house approximately 9 years ago but income support would like to know where the additional money was spent, all we can say is that it was used for a divorce settlement and house renovation. they are asking us the following;

.Value of original house at purchase
    .Value of house at remortgage
    .What remortgage money was used for
    We can not prove all the above so it looks like we will not get help with our interest payments where do we go next? We feel that we are being penalised for having MS. The mentioned mortgage was all carried out before I was diagnosed not after. If we cannot provide the answers required we shall be forced to sell our house which is now equipped to my new disability needs and acquire rented accommodation against our wishes.
    Is there any advice on what we can do to resolve this problem?
    • Theoneandonlyme
    • By Theoneandonlyme 14th Oct 12, 7:46 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Theoneandonlyme
    Help with housing benefit, moving and working
    Hi there

We have recently sold our property to pay off outstanding debts and now face the situation where we need to find somewhere to rent (and fast!).

We have two young children and my husband and I run our own company. I have just looked up on the turn2us website and I believe we maybe entitled to help with our rental costs as last' years income was low.

The questions I have are:

1) We have enough from the house sale to hopefully pay off debts and a little aside to find somewhere to rent, pay the deposit and 6 months rent if needs be. If we do this, can we still claim the housing benefit? Will this be paid to us or the landlord - as there aren't many landlords in our area who will accept Housing Benefit. Do I need to inform the landlord of this as housing benefit will not be paying the full amount? I'm actively looking for additional employment as well, so hopefully housing benefits will be a temporary situation. We can provide guarantors and references as well.

2) Can we claim Housing Benefit if we are both Directors of the Company? It is a Ltd company, we are employees and receive payslips each month.

Would it be wise to find a suitable property first, rent it and then claim after?

I appreciate any help you can provide on this matter.

Thank you.
    Hello goonasi

There are only certain loans for which you can get help from income support. They want to know what you borrowed the money for to establish whether the re mortgage money was for necessary improvements eg for your disability rather than for a new car for instance. This link will give you a better idea of what can be paid for

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/debt_e/debt_mortgage_problems_ew/debt_how_to_sort_out_your_mortgage_problems_e/help_with_mortgage_costs_if_you_re_out_of_work.htm

You should provide as much information as you can and see what the outcome is before worrying about what may happen

Your local council should have some one who is dealing with the mortgage rescue scheme and we would advise that you contact them too as they may be able to help you present your claim in a better way and help with options if there is a problem with mortgage payments
    Hello the oneandonlyme

If you are on a low income then you can get help with your rent. this link will give you more information on the rules.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm

Most housing benefit is paid direct to the tenant for them to pass on to the landlord so your landlord is unlikely to know that you are getting help unless you tell him.

Housing benefit is based on your income so providing you have some way of proving this then that should satisfy the local authority.

You should also check with the local authority about the Local Housing Allowance and what kind of accommodation they would regard as suitable for your family unit as this will have an impact on the amount of benefits that you will be allowed.

If you have one child for instance then you would be allowed housing benefit based on a two bed property and the benefit would be based on the local housing allowance for a two bed property. If you rented a three bed property then your housing benefit would still be calculated as if you were renting a two bed property

It is important that you do not rent somewhere that is going to allow you less benefit than you anticipated as you will have to make the short fall up from your income. You can find all these details on the website of your local council
  • aspergers
    Living with parents on JSA - housing benefit
    I have just been made redundant. I worked for my uncle - he got me the job - but he left the company last year. Now the company has made me redundant and I am unlikely to find another job due to my disability - but I will try.
    I have just signed on for JSA but wanted to know if I might be entitled to housing benefit.

I live with my parents and paid them £30/week out of my wages. This has been an arrangement for about a year.
    On JSA I will not be able to afford to do this. Do my parents have to cover this extra cost now that I am unemployed - which seems unfair - or would I be entitled to get this "rent" paid under housing benefit rules?

So far I have not been assessed for any benefits linked to my disability because after leaving university I had a job working with my uncle and my parents have always looked after me financially.

If I did move into a flat it would cost the benefits office much more. I would like to do that one day but for now I want to help my parents out and not see them lost £30/week just because I lost my job.

Thanks in anticipation
    hello aspergers

Sadly you cannot claim Housing Benefit unless you are legally liable to pay rent. This link will give you most of the information but the key is that you do not hold the tenancy and although your parents would normally expect you to pay rent they cannot create a tenancy for you as this would not be allowed as it would not be viewed as a commercial arrangement as it is unlikely that your parents would evict you if you did not pay them.

You are quite right that you could get help with your rent if you moved out and it does seem unfair on your parents.

Good luck getting a new job

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/search.htm?query=housing+benefit
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

2,067Users online

Martin's Twitter