Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 27th Feb 12, 1:42 PM
    • 1,243Posts
    • 3,577Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Avios Points Boosting guide discussion
    • 27th Feb 12, 1:42 PM
    0 WOW
    Avios Points Boosting guide discussion 27th Feb 12 at 1:42 PM

Hi all, we've written a new Avios Points Boosting guide to help you earn flights (plus taxes) worldwide and max points' value when redeeming.

How did you find the info? Do you have any other ways to boost your points? What are your top ways to spend Avios points?

Thanks
    for your help!

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 27-02-2012 at 1:48 PM.
Page 4
  • mynameistallulah
    That's for the online tool, they've only announced the 1st May in e mails to Diamond Club members.
    Originally posted by richardw
    No, it does not say that, does it? I have the BMI emails, they do not state that transfers will be available from May 1st. Ask on Flyertalk if you are unsure, or of course, you could come back to us next week when you have tried to do a transfer and been told to come back in two months!
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 24th Apr 12, 3:33 PM
    • 13,090 Posts
    • 28,780 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    That's for the online tool, they've only announced the 1st May in e mails to Diamond Club members.
    The email states that "...from 1 May 2012 British Airways is inviting you, as a Diamond Club member, to also join the Executive Club at your equivalent tier status level....."
    It then states that further details will follow shortly.

In a seperate paragraph it states that "You will also be able to transfer your destinations miles to Executive Club Avios points at a rate of 1:1...." To my way of reading this does not necessarily tie in with the 1st May date above.

If you then refer to the BA FAQ's it is clear to me that the earliest that you will be able to transfer miles to points will be the 3rd July, when the online tool will also be available to do so.

I'm sorry if you still disagree, but that's my last word on it, as I don't wish to clog up the thread further on a disagreement.
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 24-04-2012 at 4:22 PM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • mynameistallulah
    From the Flyertalk site:

Diamond Club and Executive Club - transfer tool and tier match

When can I transfer my destinations miles to Avios and vice versa?
    We will launch a tool on 3 July which will allow Diamond Club and Executive Club members to transfer destinations miles and Avios points between both programmes.

How do I transfer my destinations miles to Avios?
    There will be a transfer tool available on ba.com from 3 July which will allow you to transfer your destinations miles to Avios, or vice versa. You will need to enter both your Diamond Club and Executive Club membership details.

How do I transfer my destination miles to Avios and vice versa?
    You will not be able to transfer your destinations miles to Avios until 3 July. We will contact you with details on how to transfer your Miles from your Diamond Club account on ba.com in the very near future.

When will the transfer tool be available?
    The transfer tool will be available from 3 July.
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/1294905-future-diamond-club-read-summary-official-information-faq-update-23apr.html
    • egpx
    • By egpx 25th Apr 12, 5:35 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    egpx
    Right, as a self confessed Avios junkie I've just received Martin's latest email which suggests that applying for the bmi Amex/Visa combo is a pretty good way of earning 20,000 bonus bmi miles which will be transferable to 20,000 Avios in due course. All I would have to do is spend 250 on it to get the bung. All well and good but I've already got the BA Amex card AND a TSB Avios Duo card which I hardly use now. Is there any chance I could have a third Amex card just to get the bung?

In fact the bmi card is better than both the BA and TSB cards in some respects as it earns miles at the same rate as the BA Premium card only without the annual fee. However, I don't think they issue companion tickets which is a big plus for the BA Premium card. You also earn miles at half the rate if you use the bmi Visa card which is a much better return than TSB's Duo Mastercard.

Needless to say it wil all probably change once bmi is fully absorbed by IAG but should I complete the application process for the short term gain?
  • mynameistallulah
    Right, as a self confessed Avios junkie I've just received Martin's latest email which suggests that applying for the bmi Amex/Visa combo is a pretty good way of earning 20,000 bonus bmi miles which will be transferable to 20,000 Avios in due course. All I would have to do is spend 250 on it to get the bung. All well and good but I've already got the BA Amex card AND a TSB Avios Duo card which I hardly use now. Is there any chance I could have a third Amex card just to get the bung?

In fact the bmi card is better than both the BA and TSB cards in some respects as it earns miles at the same rate as the BA Premium card only without the annual fee. However, I don't think they issue companion tickets which is a big plus for the BA Premium card. You also earn miles at half the rate if you use the bmi Visa card which is a much better return than TSB's Duo Mastercard.

Needless to say it wil all probably change once bmi is fully absorbed by IAG but should I complete the application process for the short term gain?
    Originally posted by egpx
    Amex usually only allow you to have two cards with them, although I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, and there is no harm in applying (and thinking about it, I have three Amex cards!).

You are correct, the BMI card does not offer a companion voucher.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 25th Apr 12, 6:01 PM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    Roger1
    ... I've already got the BA Amex card AND a TSB Avios Duo card which I hardly use now. Is there any chance I could have a third Amex card just to get the bung?
    Originally posted by egpx
    The BA AmEx is issued by American Express. The Lloyds TSB card is isssued by Lloyds TSB under licence from AmEx. The bmi AmEx is issued by MBNA under licence from AmEx.

Three different issuers and three different sets of T+Cs, so your call. FWIW I have cards from all three.
    Needless to say it wil all probably change once bmi is fully absorbed by IAG ...
    Yes, I imagine the bmi card hasn't much shelf life left. When it goes, it will probably be replaced by another MBNA card, and the opportunity of earning bmi/BA miles with this card will have gone.
    • egpx
    • By egpx 25th Apr 12, 8:46 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    egpx
    Well I thinnk I might just give it a go then. 20,000 avios is not to be sniffed at. They can only say no.
  • dre09uk
    Club Carlson Gold Points to Avios Booster
    Hi all, in the interest of boosting your avios, if you currently have Club Carlson gold points and you don't know what do to with them, you can exchange for avios with a 25% bonus.

Just received this email:

To celebrate the launch of British Airways Avios, we're offering you a 25% bonus if you convert your Gold Points to Avios before 20th June 2012 (e.g. exchange 8,000 Gold Points and receive 1,000 Avios + 250 bonus Avios).

Ts and Cs

Offer available to British Airways Executive Club Members only. Offer valid for hotel points to Avios Points conversions made from 20 April 2012 to 20 June 2012 inclusive.

Your converted Avios Points will be credited to your Executive Club account 4-6 weeks from the date of conversion.

All Avios Points are subject to the Executive Club Terms and Conditions and all passengers and baggage are carried subject to the general terms and conditions of carriage.

Transfer to Avios Points is non-reversible.

Useful as a booster...

Enjoy!
  • goldengirl39
    Which Avios scheme is better - BA Executive Club or the new Avios
    I recently applied for a BA Executive Club card as most of my flights this year are with BA. I also applied for an Executive Club Card for my husband and our accounts are now linked.

I have an Avios account in my name only and hold the Lloyds TSB Duo card. I shop at Tesco and get my clubcard points converted to Avios.

I have just applied and been accepted for the BMI card to get the 20,000 bonus points to be converted at a later date to Avios once they are taken over by BA.

Obviously I am collecting airmiles on two different schemes but which scheme is more beneficial when booking flights using Avios? Is it worth keeping two Avios accounts open?

Thank you.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 30th Apr 12, 4:26 PM
    • 19,061 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    richardw
    Is it worth keeping two Avios accounts open?
    Originally posted by goldengirl39
    Yes, because there will be promotions that only apply to Avios or BAExec Club, so you can benefit from promotions and then move avios between accounts as and when you want to spend avios.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • mynameistallulah
    Yes, because there will be promotions that only apply to Avios or BAExec Club, so you can benefit from promotions and then move avios between accounts as and when you want to spend avios.
    How have you got on transferring your points over?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 1st May 12, 2:52 PM
    • 19,061 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    richardw
    How have you got on transferring your points over?
    Originally posted by mynameistallulah
    Today's BMI Diamond Club e mail says

"As part of the transition of bmi into British Airways, from today (1 May 2012), British Airways is inviting you, as a Diamond Club member, to also join the Executive Club at your equivalent tier status level, which will be in addition to your Diamond Club membership.

All you need to do is complete the online tier match form by providing us with your Executive Club membership number and your Diamond Club membership number and tier. To complete the online tier match form please visit www.ba.com/diamondclub

Diamond Club Star Alliance benefits:

We would like to take the opportunity to remind you that your existing Diamond Club membership continues to offer you the following Star Alliance benefits associated with your membership tier level until 31 May 2012.

You will continue to earn membership status miles and earn and spend destinations miles on bmi and Star Alliance carriers (excluding Lufthansa Group airlines) until 31 May 2012
    For all Star Alliance carriers you will also be able to take advantage of your bmi and Star Alliance status benefits, including lounge access, priority check-in and priority boarding until 31 May 2012
    From 1 June 2012 any benefits associated with your tier membership and the ability to earn status miles and earn and spend destinations miles on Star Alliance airlines will end.
    Star Alliance award bookings made before 31 May 2012 will be honoured"

No mention of transferring miles to BA Exec club avios.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • vicker
    • By vicker 2nd May 12, 8:20 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    vicker
    How can I get the most points?
    2 ad, 2ch have return flights to Hong Kong this summer. Paid with Airmiles last year.

We want to upgrade to premium economy on return flight using Avios - Avios have confirmed they are happy to do this.

How can I maximise the points we can earn please on this upgrade - have looked on Flyer Talk and it isn't clear.

And should each adult open a BA Exec club account each, or a family account between us? We aren't loyal to BA, just loyal to the lowest price

Thanks
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 2nd May 12, 8:47 PM
    • 5,303 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I didn't think you got any miles or tier points awarded on flights booked entirely with miles.

As for signing up to the BAEC - it can never hurt. There have been cases of people being upgraded a class on their first flight as members - though it's unlikely that an entire family of 4 will be upgraded together.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd May 12, 11:50 PM
    • 39,615 Posts
    • 163,771 Thanks
    silvercar
    2 ad, 2ch have return flights to Hong Kong this summer. Paid with Airmiles last year.

We want to upgrade to premium economy on return flight using Avios - Avios have confirmed they are happy to do this.

How can I maximise the points we can earn please on this upgrade - have looked on Flyer Talk and it isn't clear.

And should each adult open a BA Exec club account each, or a family account between us? We aren't loyal to BA, just loyal to the lowest price

Thanks
    Originally posted by vicker
    Each open an account and link them all into a household account. Children can open accounts if they are part of a household account.

Interesting that you can upgrade a reward ticket with airmiles, I thought that was against the rules.

The way to max points is to buy tickets and use airmiles to upgrade, that way you get the points for the paid for class of travel.
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 3rd May 12, 9:28 AM
    • 5,719 Posts
    • 6,763 Thanks
    malkie76
    I didn't think you got any miles or tier points awarded on flights booked entirely with miles.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    You can, if the flight was booked with the old Airmiles scheme, and you are booked into the correct class. Obviously you cannot do that anymore.

I'm also unsure about upgrading an Airmiles ticket with Avois.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 15th May 12, 7:28 AM
    • 5,838 Posts
    • 3,747 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    I think you have to have at least 1 avios already purchased from another source to get the Tesco bonus avios
    • baldmosher
    • By baldmosher 16th May 12, 11:04 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    baldmosher
    Shell points
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm absolutely sure that this info on the Avios page of the site is not correct:

Earn points at Shell ...

Flash your Shell Drivers' Club card at Shell when buying petrol and you bag 10 Avios points per 20 litres of fuel. If you haven't used Shell to collect Avios in the last 13 months, see how to earn 6,000 bonus points.
    To sign up, pick up a card at your nearest Shell, then register it online and swipe it each time you spend. 20 Shell points equals 10 Avios points.

It's also worth signing up for Shell's mobile app, which periodically has promos of 'buy 30 litres, get 50 extra points' (10).
    The underlying exchange rate is pretty fair, where 20L gets you 20 points worth 10p cash, or 10 Avios worth approx 8p (but can be more).

The thing that needs correcting is that last paragraph... 50 Shell Drivers Club points is worth 25p, not 10!

I've just swapped 2.50 of points with Tesco Clubcard for 600 Avios, and have switched to using Avios for Shell, just to take advantage of the 2,000 Avios bonus points offer (each!!), which seems unduly generous!
    • marble
    • By marble 17th May 12, 12:39 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    marble
    One thing in the article that's not made particularly clear is that the companion tickets offered by the BA card and the Lloyds card differ. The Lloyds companion ticket is restricted to Economy only, whereas the BA one is valid for any cabin.

If anyone is interested in buying extra avios then it looks like bmi are offering 20% free at the moment. You can get 24k avios for 255.

Similarly, for another small points boost, clubcarlson are running various generous offers giving away lots of free clubcarlson points (the theory being that you can buy one night and get enough points for a second). You can transfer these points into avios ... the current offer of 50k clubcarlson points for one night stay in a Radisson transfers over into 8k avios. A similar one starts in a few days.
    • avfc1982
    • By avfc1982 22nd May 12, 3:13 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    avfc1982
    Transfer of avios from BA Exec
    Hi All,

Is it possible to transfer the 500 avios points I have in my BA Exec account using 'combine my avios' into my Avios account and qualify for the 2000 quarterly bonus as a new way of collecting?

I can't see anythying in the T&C's in reference to this.

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,497Posts Today

7,102Users online

Martin's Twitter