Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 27th Feb 12, 1:42 PM
    • 1,243Posts
    • 3,577Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Avios Points Boosting guide discussion
    • 27th Feb 12, 1:42 PM
    0 WOW
    Avios Points Boosting guide discussion 27th Feb 12 at 1:42 PM

Hi all, we've written a new Avios Points Boosting guide to help you earn flights (plus taxes) worldwide and max points' value when redeeming.

How did you find the info? Do you have any other ways to boost your points? What are your top ways to spend Avios points?

Thanks
    for your help!

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 27-02-2012 at 1:48 PM.
Page 20
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 27th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 5,838 Posts
    • 3,747 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    Could anyone let me know if i can buy travel money and collect Avios points ? Wanted to use my amex card but this seems impossible as nobody accepts them. If i used the avios e store and went to John lewis to buy travel money would i still get the 4 avios for £1 spent ?
    Originally posted by dazse10
    https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/07/10/earning-avios-miles-ordering-foreign-currency/
    • Swenglishnick
    • By Swenglishnick 6th Aug 18, 4:43 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Swenglishnick
    When will Avios actually finally close?
    Hi,

Does anyone know when Avios will finally close?

I have an old voucher left on there but too few points to do anything so wondering if I have time to send some points back and make a booking?

Thanks
    • richardw
    • By richardw 6th Aug 18, 4:58 PM
    • 19,061 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    richardw
    Did BA send you an e mail to your registered Avios.com address, check the junk mail folder as well.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • antbiker
    • By antbiker 7th Sep 18, 12:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    antbiker
    Amex preffered rewards gold Credit Card
    Will the welcome bonus still work if you already have the BA AMEX?

It seems the wording has changed:

I understand I will not be eligible for any Welcome Bonus award if I hold or have held any Membership Rewards enrolled American Express Card in the past six months.

Can't find anything on Headforpoints about it.

Cheers
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 7th Sep 18, 12:35 PM
    • 5,618 Posts
    • 9,268 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Will the welcome bonus still work if you already have the BA AMEX?

It seems the wording has changed:

I understand I will not be eligible for any Welcome Bonus award if I hold or have held any Membership Rewards enrolled American Express Card in the past six months.

Can't find anything on Headforpoints about it.

Cheers
    Originally posted by antbiker

Yes it will. Avios and Membership Rewards are different schemes, so you can get sign up bonuses on each card.

People regularly switch between the two and churn their cards for repeated sign up bonuses.

You need to leave a gap of six months between closing a card and re-applying for another card in the same scheme.

So you can use BA for six months, switch to Preferred Rewards for six months (cancelling BA), then switch back to BA and so forth.

It is covered on HFP somewhere.

Note also you can refer yourself from BA to Preferred Rewards. You will get a referral bonus on your BA card, and a sign up bonus on the PRGC!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 7th Sep 18, 12:41 PM
    • 5,618 Posts
    • 9,268 Thanks
    Nick_C
    American Express Preferred Rewards Gold (Amex Gold) ...

You will not receive the sign-up bonus if you have held a Platinum, Gold or Green American Express charge card, or the new Amex Rewards credit card, in the six months before you apply.

You will not receive the sign-up bonus if you have a Corporate or Business American Express card via your job and you receive Membership Rewards points from it. If your Corporate or Business card does not provide Membership Rewards points then you are OK.

For clarity, you will definitely receive the sign-up bonus if you already have a BA Amex, SPG Amex, Platinum Cashback Amex or any Amex issued by Lloyds, MBNA or any other bank.

You will also definitely receive the bonus if you are currently a supplementary cardholder on someone else’s Amex Gold or Platinum card. As far as Amex is concerned, that card belongs to the primarily cardholder and does not make you an ‘existing cardholder’.

After the first year, when the £140 annual fee kicks in, you can cancel at any time for a pro-rata fee refund. American Express is the only card issuer to offer such a pro-rata fee refund.

American Express no longer has a minimum income requirement for any of its cards.
    https://www.headforpoints.com/2017/10/15/amex-american-express-preferred-rewards-gold-charge-card-uk-review-3/
    Last edited by Nick_C; 07-09-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 23rd Jan 19, 1:57 PM
    • 5,618 Posts
    • 9,268 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Referral links should only be posted on the referrals board
    • lean&mean
    • By lean&mean 23rd Jan 19, 2:06 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    lean&mean
    Referral links should only be posted on the referrals board
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Apologies Nick, I'll repost and remove my referral link. Hope it's ok to link to the referrals board?
    • lean&mean
    • By lean&mean 23rd Jan 19, 2:14 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    lean&mean
    Get more Avios or points using American Express referrals
    One interesting change at Amex is that you can refer from any Amex card to any card. And the number of points you receive for a referral depends on the card you are referring from, not what card you (if you're self referring) or a friend are getting.

For example, if you have a Nectar Amex card and refer from that, you get only 5000 Nectar points, regardless of what card your friend gets. But if you have a BA Premium American Express card, you get 9000 Avios, enough for a European return ticket, for whatever card they get. So, if you have more than one Amex card, make sure you generate your referrals from your best-earning card.

Check the page here to see how many points you'll get for referrals from each card: https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/refer-a-friend.html

And if you are new to this game but don't have any Amex card yet, remember it's use using a referral link as it'll give you more sign-up points than if you just applied direct to Amex. If you don't have a referrer you'll find one on the MSE referrals board https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5954621
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 23rd Jan 19, 4:13 PM
    • 35,772 Posts
    • 41,945 Thanks
    Browntoa
    And pointing at your referrals from here is also not allowed
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 23rd Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 5,618 Posts
    • 9,268 Thanks
    Nick_C
    The link to the Amex page that shows what the referral bonuses are from each card is very useful, and could help people with their churning strategy. Thanks for posting that.

Note also that you can refer yourself! I currently have Amex Platinum. I referred myself for the Starwood Preferred Guest card. I got an 18000 bonus on my membership rewards account for referring myself, and I'm now working towards 33000 SPG points for spending £1000 in 3 months.

The SPG comes with a £75 annual fee, but if you cancel during the year you get a pro rata refund.

I have no interest in collecting SPG points, but you can transfer them to Avios at the rate of 3:1, so the sign up bonus of 33000 SPG points will give me 11000 Avios.

If you can accumulate 60000 SPG points, you get a 25% bonus, so 25000 Avios.

SPG points can be transferred between partners, so it's easy for a couple to achieve 60000 points through sign up bonuses alone, and if you keep the SPG card long term you are effectively getting 1.25 avios per pound, although you would need to spend heavily on it to justify the fee and if you normally travel as a couple the BAPP with the 241 voucher is probably a better choice.
    • macdo
    • By macdo 17th Sep 19, 6:24 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    macdo
    cancelling card may cancel companion voucher whereas before this did not happen
    Companion Vouchers with Avios are a really good thing, they are usually attached to a card for which you have to pay a annual fee. Last time I did this I just cancelledmy AmExand got a different amex 6m later to get the "welcome bonus" but this time when I went to cancel my BA AmEx card to avoid the £195 fee I was told I'd lose my companion voucher.

Has anyoe else had this issue and are there any fixes?
    • sheepworrier
    • By sheepworrier 17th Sep 19, 8:33 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sheepworrier
    You can just downgrade to the free version of the card and keep the companion voucher
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 17th Sep 19, 11:40 PM
    • 5,618 Posts
    • 9,268 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Companion Vouchers with Avios are a really good thing, they are usually attached to a card for which you have to pay a annual fee. Last time I did this I just cancelledmy AmExand got a different amex 6m later to get the "welcome bonus" but this time when I went to cancel my BA AmEx card to avoid the £195 fee I was told I'd lose my companion voucher.

Has anyoe else had this issue and are there any fixes?
    Originally posted by macdo
    This comes up regularly over on www.headforpoints.com

Amex staff will tell you that you will lose the voucher, but there are no known instances of this ever happening.

But you must pay the redemption fees with an Amex card w when you redeem the voucher, so downgrading to the free BA Amex, as sheepworrier suggests, is the sensible option. This also allows you to upgrade again to the paid card as you approach £10k spend in your next year. Spend made on the free card counts towards the £10k target when you upgrade again.

Given also that the BA Amex card is going to be withdrawn at some stage, it makes sense to keep it. One Avios per £ spent on a free card is a good return. Amex is likely to stop issuing new BA cards some time before closing those already in use.
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 19th Sep 19, 11:39 AM
    • 5,721 Posts
    • 6,764 Thanks
    malkie76
    This comes up regularly over on www.headforpoints.com

Amex staff will tell you that you will lose the voucher, but there are no known instances of this ever happening.

But you must pay the redemption fees with an Amex card w when you redeem the voucher, so downgrading to the free BA Amex, as sheepworrier suggests, is the sensible option. This also allows you to upgrade again to the paid card as you approach £10k spend in your next year. Spend made on the free card counts towards the £10k target when you upgrade again.

Given also that the BA Amex card is going to be withdrawn at some stage, it makes sense to keep it. One Avios per £ spent on a free card is a good return. Amex is likely to stop issuing new BA cards some time before closing those already in use.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Where did you hear they are closing the BA card ? Itís been great for my 2-4-1 over the years.
    Legal team on standby
    • lean&mean
    • By lean&mean 23rd Sep 19, 1:45 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    lean&mean
    BA Amex companion vouchers
    Nick_C is spot on about it being ok to cancel your card, so long as you pay with an Amex when you come to redeem your Avios. I've previously used my wife's card on which I'm a second user.

The only hint I've ever seen about the eventual withdrawal of the BA card was some conjecture on HeadForPoints.com, as Amex are only able to charge the 0.3% interchange rate for their branded cards, such as BA, SPG and Nectar, whereas with Amex's own cards they get a higher rate (which is also why some retailers and HMRC don't take Amex). Of course with the dreaded Brexit that might change.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 24th Sep 19, 9:05 AM
    • 5,618 Posts
    • 9,268 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Where did you hear they are closing the BA card ? Itís been great for my 2-4-1 over the years.
    Originally posted by malkie76
    Its only speculation. Summarised here.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cardsloans/article-5385687/American-Express-British-Airways-Avios-cards-risk.html

But unless you plan to get rid of all your Amex cards for two years to get more sign up bonuses, then I don't think it's wise to get rid of the free BA Amex. If it does get phased out, it may be closed to new applicants without notice while existing cardholders get a transition period.

Look at Lloyd's. They started closing their Amex accounts a year ago, but honoured the upgrade voucher earning opportunity (I had until Jan 2020 to earn my final Lloyd's voucher).

I would also hope that if Amex stop offering the BA cards, they may come up with a new incentive for existing card holders which will not be available for new customers. Again, comparing this to the way Lloyd's dealt with the Amex contract ending, I now have a Mastercard which earns me 0.5 Avios for every pound spent. This card is not offered to new customers.
    • ajmidgley
    • By ajmidgley 1st Nov 19, 8:03 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ajmidgley
    Rewards for Thoughts
    Please note this is a scam. When you try to complete your first survey for the 600 Avios points offer it less you get right to the end and then crashes meaning you don't get the points (but I'm betting they get your data!). MSE should investigate and/or remove this 'tip' from the article.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 1st Nov 19, 8:27 AM
    • 12,501 Posts
    • 8,143 Thanks
    Caz3121
    MSE should investigate and/or remove this 'tip' from the article.
    Originally posted by ajmidgley
    the Tip was over 7 years ago...if you follow the link on the initial post it is no longer there...probably removed years ago
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,068Posts Today

6,939Users online

Martin's Twitter