Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 14th Jul 09, 8:06 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    100 cashback & more on 12-mth O2 SIMplicity SIM-only mobile contracts - 11.25/mth!
    • 14th Jul 09, 8:06 PM
    100 cashback & more on 12-mth O2 SIMplicity SIM-only mobile contracts - 11.25/mth! 14th Jul 09 at 8:06 PM
    21 September 2009

What's this about?

Until the end of September, a cashback site's offering 100 and a free 10 O2 Money card when you sign up for a 12-month, SIM-only O2 contract. Since the network's popular SIMplicity contracts offer top value anyway, this is a great bonus.

The cheapest package usually costs 19.58/mth for twelve months. So, factoring in the cashback over the course of it, the monthly cost is reduced to 11.25.

How do I get it?

First you'll need to sign up with the cashback site if you haven't already. The site doing the deal, Quidco*, takes the first 5 you earn each year as an admin fee, so if this is the only cashback you earn from it, the total return will be 95.

Now you need to click through to O2 via your chosen cashback site's special link, logging in on the way if you need to. It'll take you to O2's online shop, where you can buy the contract normally. Take care to select a 12-month SIMplicity package; the first tab it shows is for one-month deals (which start at 9.79/mth).

If you've previously looked at the O2 SIMplicity deal (either direct or on a comparison site) it's worth clearing your web browser's cookies before going to O2 via the link above, as they may interfere with the tracking process. If you don't know how to do this, see the AboutCookies site.

After a few days your cashback account should show that the cashback's tracked, though the amount of money it shows is likely to be incorrect. That should update in due course (within a month, when it's validated), and you should be paid within 60 days.

Cashback deals are never 100% guaranteed, though with special deals like this one they tend to work out. If you're unfamiliar with how they work, then it'll pay to read the Cashback Sites guide before doing this.

Free 10 O2 Money card on top.

As an added bonus, take up this deal and you'll also get an O2 Money prepaid card, loaded with 10 to spend on anything you like. You needn't top it up if you don't want to: just spend the pre-loaded tenner and ditch it.

The O2 Money card's a reasonable, if not amazing proposition for UK spending if you do want to keep it, and offers handy real-time balance updates by text. Read the full Prepaid Cards guide for the current top deals.

Will this suit me?

While this deal is undoubtedly incredible value for the right person, it's still a waste of money if you won't use the minutes, texts and add-ons it offers. Use a comparison site like Onecompare* or Mobilephonechecker* to see if there's another tariff that's more suitable for you before plumping for this, and remember you'll need a decent, unlocked (or O2-locked) handset to put the SIM in.

Read the full Cheap Mobiles guide if you're in the market for a new handset.

What's SIMplicity?

It's the name O2 gives its SIM-only packages, designed for people that already have the (unlocked) handset they want, but just want decent value usage. It's especially good for those who use a lot of data, as it's possible to choose an unlimited mobile web bolt on which lets you surf as much as you want (within reason) in the UK.

For 19.58/mth you get 800 mins and a massive 1600 texts, plus importantly you get to choose one inclusive add on from the following:

- Unlimited O2 to O2 calls
    - Unlimited texts
    - Unlimited weekend calls
    - Unlimited landline calls
    - 200 extra anytime minutes
    - Unlimited Wi-Fi (at BT Openzone hotspots)
    - Unlimited Web Bolt On (subject to fair usage)

Super-prolific, bordering-on-obsessive mobile users can opt for the 29.38/mth SIMplicity package instead, which offers a huge 1600 minutes and 3200 texts. This works out at 21.05/mth once the cashback's factored in.

Related Guides

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Thanks to Austin for originally posting details of this deal below! This post has been inserted to provide a full explanation.

* Using these links helps the site stay ad-free and free to use, as they're 'affiliated links' which invisibly take you via commercial price comparison services like Moneysupermarket or Find, which then pay this site per click.

You shouldn't notice any difference, the links don't impact the product at all and the editorial line (the things I write) is NEVER impacted by the revenue. If it isn't possible to get an affiliate link for the best product, it is still recommended and still included. The following http://www.quidco.com/o2, http://www.topcashback.co.uk/retailerdetailO2.htm, http://www.onecompare.com, http://www.mobilephonechecker.co.uk are identical unaffiliated links provided for the sake of transparency. Click the following link for more details on how this site's financed.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 21-09-2009 at 11:32 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 3
    • silverchair
    • By silverchair 29th Jul 09, 9:47 AM
    • 900 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    silverchair
    im on this contract i thiink its the best ive ever had, i use all my minutes every month than just used free calls at weekends all i pay is the monthly line rental, highly recommend
    Originally posted by skintas
    So does that mean you dont have to top up every month in order to get the free minutes, text & bonus. You just pay the 11 pounds line rental & you will get all of the above?
  • Lottiequette
    I'm currently with O2 on the monthly simplicity contract. I want to cancel this one and keep my old number. Has anyone else successfully changed over- would this invalidate the cash back offer? I'm new to cash back sites so would appreciate someone to explain how I could get this offer! Thanks.
    • payless
    • By payless 29th Jul 09, 10:08 AM
    • 6,608 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    payless
    looks like you might have to cancel one contract, and start again to get the cashback.
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • TDK_SA90
    I too am on a O2 Simplicity 30-day contract (9.79) and would have dearly liked to have gone down this Quidco 100 cash back route. Last week I contacted both O2 (phone) and Quidco (email) to see if it was possible for me to get this deal seeing as I was moving from a point of little commitment (30 day) to medium commitment (12 month). The feedback I received from O2's retention department was to enquire with Quidco. They didn't want to discuss at all. This is what I got back from Quidco.

"Thank you for your enquiry.

The offers are for new customers only and not existing customers who wish to renew.

I hope this clarifies matters and I will now close this ticket but if you wish to contact us regarding another matter then please raise another Help ticket."

Would be really helpful if all this was clarified up front.
  • DMC75
    various
    with quidco , I wish to pay with a business card registered to a diff adress to my quidco account . Will I still get the cashback ?
    • socks_uk
    • By socks_uk 29th Jul 09, 12:12 PM
    • 2,714 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    socks_uk
    So does that mean you dont have to top up every month in order to get the free minutes, text & bonus. You just pay the 11 pounds line rental & you will get all of the above?
    Originally posted by silverchair
    Unless I've read it all wrong, you pay 19.58 per month with a 12 month committment. The reason they are saying 11.25 is taking the 100 cashback and dividing it between the 12 months as a sort of 'on paper discount'.

You will pay 19.58 every month until you decide to end it sometime in the future (after the 12 months you have committed to). Someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm always tempted by these but I top up my O2 sim with 10 about every 3 months. I'm on 'favourite place' and so get free calls to landlines and other O2 users (all my family and most of my friends) for the month and then I use the credit I have until it runs out and it all starts again. So I probably pay about 40 or 50 a year for my phone. I'll carry on with what I've got I think.
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = 10,148 (9832)
    Nationwide Loan (3.2%)= 7682 (7361)
    Sainsburys Credit Card (0%) = 1983 (balance transfer in process)
    M&S Credit Card (0%)= 488 (balance transfer in progress)
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
    • payless
    • By payless 29th Jul 09, 12:21 PM
    • 6,608 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    payless
    Also on 30 day contract - I took a different tack with retentions .. telling them that I could get the same minutes / text/ web with another provider who was giving me 100 for a 12m sim contract..... were not interested in matching it direct -( silly really as sure it costs them more using the affiliate/quidco routes).

PAC number rec'd moving away tomorrow ( might go back though :-) )
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • ray951
    My experience of receiving this cashback and being an existing O2 customer appears to be different to some others.

I have been an O2 contract customer for a number of years and when my contract ended last year I first of all went for the monthly simplicity and got 23.30 cashback in November and then when the 12 months simplicity with 110 cashback came out I then changed to that.

Both times I changed deals I got the cashback so 133.30 in total

I upgraded using the 'upgrade' option on the O2 website, I had to submit an enquiry to quidco for both upgrades but both were successful and no need to port your number and you keep your existing sim.

So unless the t&c's have changed then if you are an existing O2 customer I would recommend that you go through the 'Upgrade' option and see what happens.
    • catsmum
    • By catsmum 29th Jul 09, 3:29 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    catsmum
    hi ray

how long did u have to wait for the 100 mine has tracked at 23.33 do i have to wait for the year?

thanks in advance
    • love2save
    • By love2save 29th Jul 09, 3:52 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    love2save
    Yes, you can use an iPhone on this as I'll be doing exactly the same!
    Originally posted by djt

Do you know the cheapest place to buy a new payg iphone 3gs?
    • allthatmularky
    • By allthatmularky 29th Jul 09, 4:10 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    allthatmularky
    hi ray

how long did u have to wait for the 100 mine has tracked at 23.33 do i have to wait for the year?

thanks in advance
    Originally posted by catsmum
    No - it should 'track' within 10 days or so - I received the payment of the 110 (last offer April 2009) at the end of June - so about two and a half months.
  • jump82
    Hi

I am currently on o2 simplicity 19.58/month and would like to get this offer. I have been to the website but am very confused on how to get this offer. Could someone tell me how to get this offer please?
    • djt
    • By djt 29th Jul 09, 6:30 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    djt
    Do you know the cheapest place to buy a new payg iphone 3gs?
    Originally posted by love2save
    Ebay probably. The O2 and Apple stores charge the same (though you can get 3% cashback with the Apple store through Quidco/TCB I think). I managed to get a brand new 3G for 280 from Ebay, it's up to you as to whether you think the 3GS is worth the extra money.

Hi

I am currently on o2 simplicity 19.58/month and would like to get this offer. I have been to the website but am very confused on how to get this offer. Could someone tell me how to get this offer please?
    Originally posted by jump82
    You can't get this offer as you are already on the tariff, sorry.
    • Sitbh
    • By Sitbh 29th Jul 09, 6:44 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Sitbh
    As ray951 has done, can you not go through quidco to the o2 site, then upgrade your current 30 day simplicity contract to the 12 month one and still get your cashback?
    • silverchair
    • By silverchair 29th Jul 09, 7:23 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    silverchair
    I cant believe this thread has been viewed 22,402 & Austin has only been thanked 7 times
    • payless
    • By payless 29th Jul 09, 8:09 PM
    • 6,608 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    payless
    I cant believe this thread has been viewed 22,402 & Austin has only been thanked 7 times
    Originally posted by silverchair
    yes thats a point, however I'm sure many views like me- people who already knew of the deal as check out quidco ( amnd just looked at thread as we were considering the deal and noticed a thread / checked ouut before posting own duplicate ) OR just casual linkers from the MSE email
    • payless
    • By payless 29th Jul 09, 8:11 PM
    • 6,608 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    payless
    why is the MSE post dated 14-07-2009 ?
  • Edinburghlass
    To be the OP, in this case to explain the deal more fully rather than edit the original OP, they need to pull up an old post dated before the OP, if you see what I mean
  • freaky_stuff
    Thanks for this Austin.

I for one had not heard about this offer before.

I was just today going to change my current pay as you go sim from t-mobile to O2. Then i saw this offer and though if i take this offer up, how long should i leave it before i ask them to change the number back to my original t-mobile number.

Also im interested in taking the extra which includes surfing the web, yet my mobile phone is not capable of this. Can anyone reccommend phones which are good for this use (surfing the web) but which costs less than 100.
    :confused:I say im a moneysaver, my family think im a cheapskate!
  • freaky_stuff
    omg i have just searched for phones on the 02 website according to which were the best for internet browsings and the prices started from 200, but with most around the 250. The most i have ever paid for a phone is around 90.
    :confused:I say im a moneysaver, my family think im a cheapskate!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,745Posts Today

6,397Users online

Martin's Twitter