Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dizzylisa
    • By dizzylisa 22nd Mar 09, 7:07 PM
    • 82Posts
    • 6Thanks
    dizzylisa
    A electrical company has lost my contract papers, with all my data/ bank details.?
    • 22nd Mar 09, 7:07 PM
    A electrical company has lost my contract papers, with all my data/ bank details.? 22nd Mar 09 at 7:07 PM
    I am not going to mention any names but about 5 weeks ago I took out a finance contract with a certain electrical company for a laptop. A direct debit was set up for over a two year period I provided them with my bank details alongside photocopies of my passport and driving license N.I number and birth certificate. They have since contacted me to inform me that they have lost or have no record of the finance agreement, they are now asking me to provide all my details again and sign another contract.

What I would like to know is there a legal obligation to provide such information again to them?
Page 1
    • Butlers1982
    • By Butlers1982 22nd Mar 09, 8:08 PM
    • 2,580 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    Butlers1982
    • 22nd Mar 09, 8:08 PM
    • 22nd Mar 09, 8:08 PM
    You have a laptop that you have not paid for. Do you think its ok to keep something that you have not paid for?

I think your hoping that someone will say no you dont legally have to provide the information and you can keep the laptop.
    • PopeSock
    • By PopeSock 22nd Mar 09, 8:18 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    PopeSock
    • 22nd Mar 09, 8:18 PM
    • 22nd Mar 09, 8:18 PM
    You could offer to provide them copies of your agreement. If you sign another agreement, make damn sure they cancel the first.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 22nd Mar 09, 8:43 PM
    • 36,725 Posts
    • 47,400 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 22nd Mar 09, 8:43 PM
    • 22nd Mar 09, 8:43 PM
    Yes, i think i would do just what PopeSock say, just send them a copy of your agreement, nothing else.
    I cant honestly understand why they would want a copy of your passport, yor NI number and birth certificate:confused:
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • dizzylisa
    • By dizzylisa 22nd Mar 09, 10:12 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    dizzylisa
    • 22nd Mar 09, 10:12 PM
    • 22nd Mar 09, 10:12 PM
    You have a laptop that you have not paid for. Do you think its ok to keep something that you have not paid for?

I think your hoping that someone will say no you dont legally have to provide the information and you can keep the laptop.
    Originally posted by Butlers1982
    I hadn't even thought of that and its my boyfriends laptop, we are far more concerned about all his data going missing!
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 23rd Mar 09, 10:31 AM
    • 36,725 Posts
    • 47,400 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 23rd Mar 09, 10:31 AM
    • 23rd Mar 09, 10:31 AM
    First post says 'my details' post 5 says 'his details' 'his laptop':confused:
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • dizzylisa
    • By dizzylisa 23rd Mar 09, 1:56 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    dizzylisa
    • 23rd Mar 09, 1:56 PM
    • 23rd Mar 09, 1:56 PM
    Dictation?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

680Posts Today

5,280Users online

Martin's Twitter