Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • eyeinthesky
    • By eyeinthesky 21st Mar 09, 11:04 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    eyeinthesky
    • 21st Mar 09, 11:04 PM
    • 21st Mar 09, 11:04 PM
    Repair or replace, at their discretion. Don't think they would offer a refund. Most likely scenario is they will send it for a repair, but ask how long this will take, it must be within a "reasonable" period of time and not cause you excessive inconvenience. Have a look on directgov., I think you will find some useful information there.
    • eyeinthesky
    • By eyeinthesky 21st Mar 09, 11:18 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    eyeinthesky
    • 21st Mar 09, 11:18 PM
    • 21st Mar 09, 11:18 PM
    If you bought in October, then it is just under 6 months old. This means that if it is faulty, it is taken to have been faulty from purchase, and it falls on the seller to prove that the fault was not there from the outset. After 6 months, it falls on the purchaser to prove it was faulty from the outset. Take it back immediately, speak to the manager, and calmly state that the pc has an "inherent fault", and that it is not "fit for purpose", and ask for a replacement. Stand your ground and try to insist on a replacement, rather than a repair. I don't think they legally have to give a replacement, but it can't hurt to try. Don't forget to back up all your stuff first though, good luck!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 22nd Mar 09, 10:00 AM
    • 62,924 Posts
    • 45,300 Thanks
    soolin
    • 22nd Mar 09, 10:00 AM
    • 22nd Mar 09, 10:00 AM
    Unfortunately with Comet knowing your rights is seldom enough, that is not only my experience it has been echoed on other threads on here as well. Like eyeinthesky suggests in the first instance take it back with all your receipts and allow them to offer a repair. Try and tie them down to a time frame, if possible get them to mark it that you are allowing say 21 days for return. It might also be worth just checking if you have any at home support as it would obviously be easier to have someone come out and repair it, it's worth a try.

Put everything in writing afterwards, keep notes and names of who you talk to.With Comet it also pays to be persistent, but at no point ever raise your voice to them or use any bad language, however minor, as they have a habit of throwing you of the premises.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • bookworm1363
    • 22nd Mar 09, 10:44 AM
    • 22nd Mar 09, 10:44 AM
    The key will be when in October you purchased it. If you are still within the 6 months, burden of proof falls on the retailer and it will be a lot easier for you to get remedy. 1 day past the 6 months and the burden of proof falls on you.

Don't let them fob you off to Acer direct, even though their products have a high incidence of failure, they will deny it to the end.

If it's a total HD failure, it's probably just as cheap or close enough for them to replace than to send for repair so being firm on what you want may well get you better results. Get to talk to the manager, btw, not one of the floor staff, what they know of stat rights could fit on a small stamp.
    www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk
    (authorised link)
  • rover220
    • 22nd Mar 09, 10:49 AM
    • 22nd Mar 09, 10:49 AM
    ok, been back to comet today. spoke the manager (at least he said he was).

aparrently, because ive opened the case up to hoover it etc the warranty is most likely void. this doesnt sound right to me and i dont know what to do next. he said all they will do is book it in and speak to acer but he cant promise that they will do anything about it.

help!!!!!!!!
    • Jem8472
    • By Jem8472 22nd Mar 09, 11:10 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Jem8472
    • 22nd Mar 09, 11:10 AM
    • 22nd Mar 09, 11:10 AM
    When you opend it up to hoover out did you brake and warrenty void if broken labels?
    But you know if you send it back you will lose any data that was on there. Does the laptop give any errors on starting up?
    Jeremy

Married 9th May 2009
  • archived user
    • 22nd Mar 09, 11:25 AM
    • 22nd Mar 09, 11:25 AM
    I think that they would have difficulty enforcing that as it is a device that is intended to be upgradeable. Not allowing opening the case would be considered an unfair term in any warranty.
    • OlliesDad
    • By OlliesDad 22nd Mar 09, 11:30 AM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    OlliesDad
    • 22nd Mar 09, 11:30 AM
    • 22nd Mar 09, 11:30 AM
    I think that they would have difficulty enforcing that as it is a device that is intended to be upgradeable. Not allowing opening the case would be considered an unfair term in any warranty.
    Originally posted by !!!!!!!
    Not necesarily. They may advise that any upgrades/work has to be carried out by somebody with the relevant qualifications.

In my job we advise that the warranty will be invalidated if the fault that has occured is due to the unit being damaged during the cleaning/upgrading. If there was no damage caused during the hoovering, i do not see how they cqan get out of their responsibilities.
    • CHR15
    • By CHR15 22nd Mar 09, 11:39 AM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 4,170 Thanks
    CHR15
    ive opened the case up to hoover it etc
    Originally posted by rover220
    Why did it need hoovering if you've only had it a few Months?? and what does etc. include??

When you say Hard Drive, do you mean the Hard Drive or the whole PC is goosed??
    • soolin
    • By soolin 22nd Mar 09, 12:53 PM
    • 62,924 Posts
    • 45,300 Thanks
    soolin
    ok, been back to comet today. spoke the manager (at least he said he was).

aparrently, because ive opened the case up to hoover it etc the warranty is most likely void. this doesnt sound right to me and i dont know what to do next. he said all they will do is book it in and speak to acer but he cant promise that they will do anything about it.

help!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by rover220
    Keep on at them, do you have the full name of the person you spoke to? Mid morning tomorrow phone the shop and say you were expecting a call and wanted to know what was going to happen, be persistent, they may well never bother to make a call for you otherwise.

Incidentally I echo what the others have said and would ask why you needed to hoover the PC case. I'm a bit worried in case this is something that I should be doing as in all the years of owning a PC I have never done it yet...
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • mustrum_ridcully
    Originally posted by !!!!!!!
    Depends on why the case was opened. If it was to upgrade the RAM that's one thing, to shove a vacuum cleaner nozzle in there is another (BTW I've been using PC's for about 20 years and never felt the need to shove a hoover into the case).

Unfortunately air and dust passing through a hoover nozzle can cause static electricity build-up which can be deadly to electronic components.

Good luck to the OP but I suspect the best you'll get is a repair.
  • markybaby
    The key will be when in October you purchased it. If you are still within the 6 months, burden of proof falls on the retailer and it will be a lot easier for you to get remedy. 1 day past the 6 months and the burden of proof falls on you.

Don't let them fob you off to Acer direct, even though their products have a high incidence of failure, they will deny it to the end.

If it's a total HD failure, it's probably just as cheap or close enough for them to replace than to send for repair so being firm on what you want may well get you better results. Get to talk to the manager, btw, not one of the floor staff, what they know of stat rights could fit on a small stamp.
    Originally posted by bookworm1363
    It won't be as cheap for the store. If the hard drive does need replacing then Acer will pay for that under the manufacturers warranty, not the store. Also all courier costs will be covered by Acer. The store is still responsible for the warranty though so they should take it in and make all the required phone calls, could save you a lot of hassle and also staying in for collection/delivery. If the store swaps it they will have to get the unit fixed and then sell it as second hand with reduced warranty. Probably losing a three figure sum in the process.
    • olly300
    • By olly300 22nd Mar 09, 2:08 PM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300

Incidentally I echo what the others have said and would ask why you needed to hoover the PC case. I'm a bit worried in case this is something that I should be doing as in all the years of owning a PC I have never done it yet...
    Originally posted by soolin
    It's to remove the dust that collects in it.

However you never need to do this in the first year of owning the PC and if you do want to remove the dust you should use compressed air.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 22nd Mar 09, 2:10 PM
    • 7,263 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    If all fails, you can buy a new hard drive, and being an acer laptop these can be replaced without the need to open the computer up.

They slide in from the outside.

On this note, you best bet would be to black the heads of the screws, and return through another store, leaving the 'ive took it apart myself, and it no-longer works' comment.

Ive had laptops for over 6years now, and ive never had to open it up for cleaning, but in the past i have opened the acer up to repair the AC connector when i dropped it.

Act dumb..
  • rover220
    the case has been hoovered once, it is unfortunately a dusty enviroment but it was hoovered a few weeks back. i have also upgraded the RAM in it. how can they stop you doing that??

as for warranty stickers all they say is warranty seal. no where in any info i recieved with it does it say if stickers are broken/removed warranty is void and furthermore to that, this is the second time its been back to comet...first time it went in for a dodgy sound card and at the time one comet person (i do have their name) said it was fine to enter the case as it was acceptable to upgrade the computer should you wish and there was nothing they (acer or comet) could do to stop you.

also, this is a desktop pc and not a laptop.

thanks again guys
    • Jem8472
    • By Jem8472 22nd Mar 09, 11:15 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Jem8472
    Well if there are no stickers saying warrenty void if broken then they cant say that the warrenty is void if you open it up.

Hav you made sure that the cabels going into the hard disk are connected properly, maybe you just pulled them out slightly with the hoover.

Does it do anything when you turn it on?
    Jeremy

Married 9th May 2009
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,366Posts Today

8,299Users online

Martin's Twitter