Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Charlie74
    Council Tax
    • 21st Mar 09, 6:49 PM
    Council Tax 21st Mar 09 at 6:49 PM
    Hi... I live in Barrow-in-Furness and pay council tax for my property which I occupy as a single occupant on a full time basis. I also own a wooden cabin at the beach in Barow for which I am having to pay additional council tax at Band A with a 50% reduction for vacant property. Because of the remote location of the cabin, there are no public services within 2 miles. There are no roads, no lighting, no refuse collection, no electricty or water supply. The cabin is a single room with a small additional cooking area (calor gas). The cabin if for occasional day use only. l have friends who have 2 properties and live in one and the second is vacant. This is within another county and they have never had to pay additional council tax for the 2nd property. Please advise whether Barrow council can legally charge me for council tax for the cabin. Thank you.
Page 1
    • Butlers1982
    • By Butlers1982 22nd Mar 09, 6:35 PM
    • 2,580 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    Butlers1982
    • 22nd Mar 09, 6:35 PM
    • 22nd Mar 09, 6:35 PM
    yes they can at a discounted rate.
    • Mark Hewitt
    • By Mark Hewitt 23rd Mar 09, 9:15 AM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 909 Thanks
    Mark Hewitt
    • 23rd Mar 09, 9:15 AM
    • 23rd Mar 09, 9:15 AM
    And even that is changing recently. Councils can now charge up to (I think) 90% of the council tax even if the property is empty.

Personally I think they should be allowed to charge 100%, if you can afford a second home and all that.

But I know for the OP a beach hut is hardly a second home and I think the council have a cheek charging any council tax on it at all!
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 23rd Mar 09, 10:49 AM
    • 16,757 Posts
    • 23,246 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 23rd Mar 09, 10:49 AM
    • 23rd Mar 09, 10:49 AM
    Very cheeky charging CT even though you don't get many services.

I would write to them stating that if you are expected to pay 50% of the Council Tax, then you will be expecting services in return; a weekly bin collection and recycling at least.

CT also pays for Police, Fire etc... so you would still be receiving these services.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Mark Hewitt
    • By Mark Hewitt 23rd Mar 09, 11:13 AM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 909 Thanks
    Mark Hewitt
    • 23rd Mar 09, 11:13 AM
    • 23rd Mar 09, 11:13 AM
    I wonder just what services exactly the OP is receiving at their property?

Fire and police spring to mind. But anything else?
  • Charlie74
    • 23rd Mar 09, 11:50 AM
    • 23rd Mar 09, 11:50 AM
    Thanks for all your replies... No services at all at the beach.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

580Posts Today

5,266Users online

Martin's Twitter