Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    emouth
    Manweb Chasing Me For Money Not Owed - Help
    • 20th Mar 09, 4:59 PM
    Manweb Chasing Me For Money Not Owed - Help 20th Mar 09 at 4:59 PM
    I would really appreciate some advice on this re my legal rights and also where I stand in practice.

About 6 years ago I lived in a shared house with four other people who I didn't know previously. We had some problems with the Manweb bill and I sorted it out.

When we next got a bill my name was on it. I phoned up Manweb and said I didn't want my name on the bill as it was a shared house and not my sole responsibility. They told me that when I moved out I could pay my fifth of the bill and my name would be taken off.

When I moved out I paid a fifth of the outstanding money and asked them to take my name off the bill. A few weeks later my name was still on the bill so I phoned them again and told them to take it off. I then went to work abroad for a while. I know I should have checked again but I was really busy and didn't get round to it.

I have just had a text from some credit company who said they are acting on behalf of Scottish power and would I phone them. They must have got my number from a website or something.

I fear that my name was never taken off the bill and they are now after me all these years later. I am very worried about CCJs etc. They don't have my new address or anything.

So, I want to know my legal rights - am I liable for the whole bill?

Also, can they register a CCJ against me if they don't have my address?

What should I do? Instinct tells me to try and get in touch with the old landlord and get some written evidence as to when I moved out but he might have moved on by now. What if I can't get in touch with him. Also, I am worried about opening a can of worms and don't want this agency to have my new address. I can't believe they are chasing me after all this time!!!

Realistically, can they do anything to me if they don't have an address and don't know this is my phone number? I mean, they don't know it's me do they? They must have got the number from some website or survey where I filled in my details. In any event, I would have thought they would have written off the debt by now.

Does anyone know anything about companies writing off debts?

I just feel I did the honest thing and paid my bit of the bill and don't deserve this stress.

Any advice please?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,758Posts Today

6,513Users online

Martin's Twitter