Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 12th Oct 05, 2:03 PM
    • 9,251Posts
    • 17,235Thanks
    calleyw
    lump free mash
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:03 PM
    lump free mash 12th Oct 05 at 2:03 PM
    How do you get lump free mash. Husband made some last night and it had a few little lumps.

Lumps in mash make me gag.

Yours

Calley
Page 5
  • mikeD
    I've used them all, ie masher, ricer and whisk. I find the best is to use a masher to mash with the butter and then a fork to whisk in the milk or cream.

However I'm open to suggestions.

• loren83
    I don't, but my husband uses a potato masher

Is there another way? :confused: A potato masher only does one job (in this house anyway) but is indispensible for that job.

Penny. x
    by Penelope Penguin
    My OH makes lovely mash too, he would eat sausage and mash every day if he could!! I hardly ate meat before we lived together.

He also uses the masher as a kind of fish slice lifting baked salmon etc. out of the oven too!
  • Edimew
    Thanks for the piccie of a ricer.

I never realised using a masher was such an effort. Maybe I'm just young and fit.

Honestly though, maybe because I only cook spuds for two or three people at a time, it never seems hard. :confused:
    by pollyanna24
    I've never though of it as an effort either.

When I was a little girl my Sunday Dinner job was to mash the potatoes (and the swede). So maybe I developed my mashing muscles early
  • afsha
    mashed pots
    I use mine to mash fried onions to make a nice curry paste.
    • muz
    • By muz 24th Nov 06, 7:52 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    muz
    I use a ricer which I bought in Matalan last year for about 4! It also skins the potatoes as you go, so you don't need to peel them first!!
    • hobo123
    • By hobo123 24th Nov 06, 11:31 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    hobo123
    This might be a stupid question but how does it peel the potatoes? I am definately going to try and find one of these never heard of it before.
    • elisebutt65
    • By elisebutt65 24th Nov 06, 11:46 PM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 7,289 Thanks
    elisebutt65
    This might be a stupid question but how does it peel the potatoes? I am definately going to try and find one of these never heard of it before.
    by hobo123
    Cos when you depress the handle only the squishy potato goes through - leaving the skin behind!!! It's well cool - but then little time savers like that please my overworked brain.:rolleyes:
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    Student MoneySaving Club member 026! Teacher now and still Moneysaving

• apple_mint
    OH uses the potato masher He also uses the potato masher for squishing the fruit when making home made wine. I officially cannot make non-lumpy mash
    Enjoying an MSE OS life
  • furrypig
    I use a ricer and got mine from Lakeland and use it every week and really think it's brilliant! Unfortunately has made mydd fussy with other people's mash and she doesn't like it if it is lumpy!
  • bargain babe
    I use a masher - but I like the idea of a ricer - leaving the skins on so they come off - cool! I think it would save on waste - I hate peeling spuds and seem to take off lots of potato with my peelings. Will look into it.

By the way - for the first time we mixed an egg into the mashed potato yesterday and it was really lovely!
    If you don't have something nice to say don't bother saying anything at all.
  • mikeD
    Cos when you depress the handle only the squishy potato goes through - leaving the skin behind!!! It's well cool - but then little time savers like that please my overworked brain.:rolleyes:
    by elisebutt65
    I'm all for time saving, but also for edible food. In my experience I've never bought a batch of perfect potatoes. Nearly always some, if not most, have some imperfections which only become obvious when peeling them. So using a "Super Ricer", does it get out the nasty bits as well?

• kittykat500
    • By kittykat500 25th Nov 06, 8:44 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    kittykat500
    I add a little milk and butter and then push through a metal sieve. Works a dream as my boys love mash and used to complain about my lumps.
  • tawnyowls
    Masher, definitely. Potato ricer makes it too sloppy, and as for mixer - yuk! Breaks up all the starch grains; might as well eat wallpaper paste. Give me a bit of texture every time.
    • lazy_daisy
    • By lazy_daisy 26th Nov 06, 12:19 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    lazy_daisy
    I use an electric whisk too, it works better than a masher hence stops the kids moaning about lumpy mash. The only thing I use a masher for is mashing eggs to make egg mayonnaise.
    Up Jacob's Creek without a paddle!
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 26th Nov 06, 12:22 AM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    I've just dragged my old one out from the 'throw it away box' I was going to part with it after being given a new plastic one, but it just doesn't make mash right!

Tried a blender once, too runny ewww!! Think ricer might make them the same ?
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
    • tru
    • By tru 26th Nov 06, 9:00 AM
    • 8,824 Posts
    • 47,630 Thanks
    tru
    I use an electric hand mixer with the dough hook attachments, perfect every time
    Bulletproof
    • CL
    • By CL 27th Nov 06, 3:49 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 3,020 Thanks
    CL
    Another vote for the ricer here and I am very fussy about having no lumps in my mash
    • Penny Watcher
    • By Penny Watcher 27th Nov 06, 3:57 PM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 5,824 Thanks
    Penny Watcher
    Masher for a couple of portions of mash, otherwise the Kenwood Chef with the K beater, splash of milk, dollop of butter and a little bit of freshly ground black pepper.

Nursery food at its best

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please GIVE BLOOD - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 52 pints so far.
  • LyndsM
    It's getting like the 'Marmite' dilemma now!
    Lumps or no lumps?
    Milk or cream?

I am firmly on the side of 'bashed' rather than mashed - love those lumps!

I cut the raw spuds up a bit smaller that I would for boiled as they cook quicker then just chuck in some (full fat artery choking) butter and give 'em a couple of mins with the metal masher.

My lovely other half has introduced me to leaving the skins on for new potatoes and mashing them just as they are - heaven!!

Mmmmmmmm.... the kitchen is calling....

Lynds
  • Vicraf
    I was just wondering while on the subject can mashed potatos be frozen?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,910Posts Today

6,318Users online

Martin's Twitter