Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 12th Oct 05, 2:03 PM
    • 9,251Posts
    • 17,235Thanks
    calleyw
    lump free mash
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:03 PM
    lump free mash 12th Oct 05 at 2:03 PM
    How do you get lump free mash. Husband made some last night and it had a few little lumps.

Lumps in mash make me gag.

Yours

Calley
Page 3
    • skintchick
    • By skintchick 14th Oct 05, 11:43 AM
    • 14,668 Posts
    • 23,339 Thanks
    skintchick
    I use cheap pots, cut them small, boiled for 20 mins, drain leaving a tiny bit of water in the pan, mash using normal masher, add butter, mash again, if needed add splash of milk, mash agian. Serve.

If you mash before adding lubricant you get a smoother result. Same goes for packet soups - mix powder with tiny bit of water first, then add extra liquid.
    DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
    married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
  • tootles
    All you need to mash spuds is a fork!!!!! make sure the spuds are cooked right through, but NOT mushy, drain out the water, and using a fork mash the spuds against the sides of the pan, add a little butter, and pepper and salt to taste and use a whipping action with the fork, then, add either milk or cream, just a splash........ works everytime for me!!!!! and I don't have hugh muscles......... LOL
    • Lara
    • By Lara 14th Oct 05, 4:58 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 1,841 Thanks
    Lara
    After listening to Phil Vickery on This Morning I follow his way - add warm milk and melted butter to the mash. Put them in a pyrex jug, melt in microwave and add.............................nice and creamy and with grated cheese added even more delicious.

School mash - makes me shudder and retch just thinking about it

Oh I can vouch for the ricer but since doing them the above way I haven't used it
  • chardonnay
    my fiance makes fab mash but hates the stuff - blames school dinners! lol
  • chardonnay
    oh and thanks for the info about the ikea potato ricer - i'm going next week so will add it to the list.
  • jack92
    Any tips for making mashed spuds?
    Can anyone help me out with making decent mashed spuds? The only way I can make non-lumpy mash is by buying more expensive potatoes (Maris Piper or King Edward) - I have never had any luck with cheaper potatoes. I do need to cut back on my shopping bill and figure that there must be something I'm doing wrong to make the less expensive spuds into such foul, lumpy mash :confused:

Thank you!
    Nicola
  • astonsmummy
    I cut the spuds up really small and boil them so they r very soft and mahsh them. u have to put a lot of welly into it to get all the lumps out. xx
    Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!
    • newleaf
    • By newleaf 9th Jul 06, 5:27 PM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    newleaf
    Yes, I agree with Mr Hankey. A potato ricer is exactly what you need. I got mine from Lakeland.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • wigginsmum
    I make sure they're properly soft before I start to mash them. Drain, add some bit of milk and butter, and pound away with the masher. Never fails, and I use the cheapest spuds.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
    • Andybez38
    • By Andybez38 9th Jul 06, 5:34 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    Andybez38
    Can anyone help me out with making decent mashed spuds? The only way I can make non-lumpy mash is by buying more expensive potatoes (Maris Piper or King Edward) - I have never had any luck with cheaper potatoes. I do need to cut back on my shopping bill and figure that there must be something I'm doing wrong to make the less expensive spuds into such foul, lumpy mash :confused:

Thank you!
    Nicola
    by jack92
    It helps alot if you peel the spuds
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 9th Jul 06, 5:35 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    I agree with Mr hankey and newleaf, wouldnt be without my potato ricer (mine was about £15 in Debenhams) I use all sorts of potatoes, and always add loads of butter (not marg) and some black pepper. Ive even found, that if im in a hurry and the potatoes arnt really soft, the ricer still mashes them without lumps, it just means you have to push a bit harder on the ricer handle!!!!
    • LizD
    • By LizD 9th Jul 06, 5:38 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    LizD
    i just use an ordinary masher and cheap white spuds. The trick is to boil them til they're very soft, add a splash of milk and some butter (I use Anchor spreadable) and away you go. Try rolling the masher, rather than squashing the spuds with it.
  • mandy_moo_1
    Cut your potatoes quite small, boil till soft, drain & leave lid on for a couple of minutes to let the steam soften them a bit. add some warmed milk and a small knob of marg...then get your electric hand mixer out and whisk em!! they'll be lovely and soft

• mistresslenore
    Add the milk and butter while still on the heat and this stops them going grey
    With Love From The Mistress xx

2 savings club = 60
    Smarties savings = 40.00
    Both started February 2006
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 9th Jul 06, 8:39 PM
    • 5,029 Posts
    • 2,157 Thanks
    aardvaak
    How about once mashed use a hand mixer to spin together.
    • thetope
    • By thetope 9th Jul 06, 9:12 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    thetope
    How about once mashed use a hand mixer to spin together.
    by aardvaak
    whoops hit thanks instead of quote... never mind...! i find if you use a hand whizzer it makes them pureed rather than mash... it's nice comfort food but is rather baby-food ish! i just use the technique most people mention above... chop spuds into small pieces boil until very soft, usuall half an hr to 40 mins, then drain and add some butter and milk and squidge them with a masher til they are fluffy

• BargainHunterCat
    • By BargainHunterCat 9th Jul 06, 9:16 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    BargainHunterCat
    I like to jazz my mash up with a handful of grated cheese and half a chopped onion which has been softened in butter. It's very yummy and because of the texture with onion & cheese, nobody notices the lumps!
    Debt 2007 17k

Current Debt approx 7.5k

Target - to pay off all debts by 2020
  • leonie
    Am I missing out on something here... I see no reply from Mr Hankey about a potato ricer????

Have I lost the plot?:confused:
    • Lady Inversneckie
    • By Lady Inversneckie 9th Jul 06, 10:43 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Lady Inversneckie
    Strange but True
    I'm with you Leonie, I didn't see a post from Mr Hankey and his Potato Ricer!

Is it a joke that has gone over our heads? :confused:
  • Jay-Jay
    I think Mr Hankey's posts have been removed
    Just run, run and keep on running!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,907Posts Today

6,766Users online

Martin's Twitter