Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 12th Oct 05, 2:03 PM
    • 9,230Posts
    • 17,205Thanks
    calleyw
    lump free mash
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:03 PM
    lump free mash 12th Oct 05 at 2:03 PM
    How do you get lump free mash. Husband made some last night and it had a few little lumps.

Lumps in mash make me gag.

Yours

Calley
Page 1
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 12th Oct 05, 2:06 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:06 PM
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:06 PM
    Using a potato ricer ...

... would be my initial answer, but presumably you don't have one to hand, so an electric whisk or hand blender would do the job just as well
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Lillibet
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:08 PM
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:08 PM
    I use a stick blender, dead quick & easy on the washing up afterwards
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 12th Oct 05, 2:10 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:10 PM
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:10 PM
    Mash the potato initially and then put it through a metal sieve if you don't have a ricer. May take a while but it's worth it, no lumps whatsoever. Add in a little milk, s&p, a little drop of butter and some single cream, yummy.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
    • voodoozoe
    • By voodoozoe 12th Oct 05, 2:11 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 1,098 Thanks
    voodoozoe
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:11 PM
    You' re a lucky lady havin a hubby that makes mash!!!!
    Laughing at my ancient signature...voodoobaby now 10 years old

• Flimber
    • By Flimber 12th Oct 05, 2:11 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Flimber
    But they're the best bits :confused:

Just learn yerself not to gag.
    • brokenwings
    • By brokenwings 12th Oct 05, 2:14 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    brokenwings
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:14 PM
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:14 PM
    i use my hand whisk a la delia

never a lump in sight.
    • MATH
    • By MATH 12th Oct 05, 2:24 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:24 PM
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:24 PM
    I use my leccy hand mixer which makes the potatoe lovely and creamy. Doesn't a stick blenda make it go all gloopy like wallpaper paste? If anyone else uses a stick let me know cos I've just been bought one and am short of things to use it for. Thanks
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 12th Oct 05, 2:26 PM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 10,475 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:26 PM
    • 12th Oct 05, 2:26 PM
    Mine are never lumpy and I just use a potatoe masher, Make sure potaoes are well coked and soft all the way through. A nob of butter and a splash of milk and they are perfect. I believe it all comes down to the potatoes you use.

They are always lumpy when my hubby makes then as he mashes the potaoes when they are still a little hard in the middle.
    Last edited by SuiDreams; 12-10-2005 at 2:29 PM.
  • pdoff
    we just use a potato masher, i always have lumps but on the odd occasion dh does it they are smooth - think is cos he is stronger & does it longer whereas i can't be bothered! think is all in the wrist action!
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 12th Oct 05, 2:31 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Yep - stick blenders can make it so smooth it's like wall paper paste - but sometimes I like it like that. Normally, I use a decent metal masher - I find they work much better than any plastic one I've ever had. As long as your spuds are cooked properly, they should be smooth. If they are a little lumpy or you find a little bit that hasn't cooked properly, put the pan back on a low-med heat, add milk and stir furiously.

And if you can't get the lumps out, you'll have given yourself a workout and be too knackered to notice the lumps
  • Jay-Jay
    For mash I cut the spuds up into smaller peices than I would for say roasting and then boil them for about 3 days (well....about 30/40 minutes )

I tried using a stick blender when I was making baby puree and found that the potato emulsified and went as Math put it 'like wallpaper paste'.

My mashing action (!) is more of a down-across-up rather than an up-down kinda thing.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 12th Oct 05, 2:38 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    I use a ricer for 100% smooth spuds, no lump stands a chance with it and it can be dishwashed
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 12th Oct 05, 2:46 PM
    • 9,230 Posts
    • 17,205 Thanks
    calleyw
    Mash the potato initially and then put it through a metal sieve if you don't have a ricer. May take a while but it's worth it, no lumps whatsoever. Add in a little milk, s&p, a little drop of butter and some single cream, yummy.
    by Smiley_Mum

D'oh didn't think of a sieve. Tea was ready to eat and getting cold so want to get it on the plates to eat asap.

It is always a simple answer. Will put my brain in gear next time honest

Yours

Calley
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 12th Oct 05, 2:48 PM
    • 9,230 Posts
    • 17,205 Thanks
    calleyw
    But they're the best bits :confused:

Just learn yerself not to gag.
    by Flimber

Sorry never. If something is suppose to have lumps in it like chocolate chip cookie or in icecream and it is suppose to be fine.

But mash is suppose to be smooth.

Yours

Calley
    • Bennifred
    • By Bennifred 12th Oct 05, 2:52 PM
    • 3,869 Posts
    • 7,945 Thanks
    Bennifred
    I used to have problems with lumpy mash until I got a potato ricer - well worth the money! No lumps and very little effort too - I used to get really hot and cross mashing the bejeezus out of spuds Also great for mashing other veggies - fantastic for disguising them from fussy kids .
    [
    • MDUK
    • By MDUK 12th Oct 05, 2:52 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    MDUK
    Definitely the Potato Ricer

I have had a thing about lumpy mash since school, this makes smooth mash.
  • Lillibet
    For mash
    I tried using a stick blender when I was making baby puree and found that the potato emulsified and went as Math put it 'like wallpaper paste'.
    by Jay-Jay
    Can honestly say I never realised that mash shouldn't be like this??:confused: But then, I've never eaten wall paper paste either, so don't have a point of comparisan!!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 12th Oct 05, 3:38 PM
    • 7,258 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    I bought my potato ricer in Ikea for under £4, makes lovely smooth mash

HTH
    • chrislee765
    • By chrislee765 12th Oct 05, 3:41 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    chrislee765
    i was always told: blended mash potato = wallpaper paste
    -------
    Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
    -------
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,940Posts Today

7,622Users online

Martin's Twitter