Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • molokoid
    • By molokoid 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 14Thanks
    molokoid
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?
    • 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route? 29th Jun 08 at 5:46 PM
    Hi all,

Moved into a house in Jan that has a bulk LPG tank, which was previously supplied (and the tank is owned by) Calor. The contract they were really keen for me to sign was quite a restrictive lock in one and after speaking and a bit of negotiating they dropped the standing charge and discounted the pence per litre by 12%. This only made me sceptical that they had a lot of fat in the price anyway and there seems to be limited information available on the net about bulk lpg supply (lots of websites that will find you the cheapest supply for a fee!). Seems to be crying out for a MSE article if there are enough bulk lpg owners out there.

Anyway, i read that there is some sort of regulation coming into the market which allows me to choose the supplier i wish and in turn they buy the tank off the previous owners. This seems to be a more market competitive way of doing it, but i can't find out when this is due to happen.

Are there any bulk lpg owners out there that can give me some advice?

TIA
Page 167
    • collectors
    • By collectors 25th Oct 19, 2:32 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    collectors
    Why are LPG salesmen so dishonest.
    I have contacted two lpg gas suppliers & can't believe the lies & bs they come out with to get a contract out of you.
    At the moment I am with calor at the & they want 38p per liter fixed for one year & a possible increase of 5p a liter in any 6 month period in year 2.
    So I shopped around for a price & extragas was on par with most other quotes at 36p + tank maintenance. So i said go ahead. They then sent me a contract with a clause that if i pulled out of the contract in the 1st two years i could be liable for a £3500.00 penalty to remove the tank & i would be responsible for for any making good of the property. I phoned back & said forget it.
    So i tried Northern Energy & they offered on the phone the same 36p & thrown in a free gas breakdown cover. Ok, I said go ahead. Once again the problems start. I told them about the last company with the £3500.00 penalty & he said we are a new company and wouldn't do that. So a nice rep called in the same day & checked the tank & got me to sign the contract.
    While he was hear i said i just want to order gas & pay for it there & then. He then turns around & said we only work on a top up basis & we can do it your way, but you would lose the insurance of a boiler breakdown cover. So i went ahead & singed. About an hour later I was reading the small print & they had a £900.00 penalty if a leave in the 1st 2 years on which he said they didn't do. Another quick call & cancelled it. Thank goodness for consumer rights & a 14 day cooling off period.
    Now i am still looking for another supplier. Would be nice to just get honesty.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • CircuitW1zard
    • By CircuitW1zard 26th Oct 19, 8:12 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    CircuitW1zard
    Can somebody advise what the clause looks like in the contract that lets Calor increase the price whenever they feel like it? If you have a contract with a fixed price in year one and fixed increase in year two should this clause not be seen at all?
    • JerryW
    • By JerryW 27th Oct 19, 2:54 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    JerryW
    They vary .. but if you look at the contract you have, under pricing, it will be easy to spot.. do your homework..
    • Lumphammer1
    • By Lumphammer1 28th Oct 19, 10:32 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Lumphammer1
    Just coming to the end of 2 year contract with Flogas. Currently 35.5p +
    VAT. 1400L usage. Can stay with them at 35.5p variable, which will no doubt rise as soon as 2 years is up but they will advise me prior. Or offered 2 year contract fixed at 35.5p for 12 months then capped at max 12p increase for year 2. I think that 12p increase is too much to agree to - its about 30% rise!

They asked if I'd had any other quotes (hadn't) and said to get back to them if I found a better offer!

As tank is low, will be getting a top up soon, so will probably get it filled up now before contract end and then look again after Christmas when I know their new variable prices.
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 1st Nov 19, 3:16 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mcmullank
    Woldlink Pricing November 2019
    Woldlink monthly pricing confirmed at 30.87ppl + 5% VAT, down slightly from 32.61ppl in October
    • collectors
    • By collectors 1st Nov 19, 5:05 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    collectors
    Woldlink monthly pricing confirmed at 30.87ppl + 5% VAT, down slightly from 32.61ppl in October
    Originally posted by mcmullank
    Hi, how did you get this quote or what route did you take?? They quoted me at 36p & said this was with Avanti gas. Cant make out whats going on. Strange
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 1st Nov 19, 5:39 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mcmullank
    Hi, how did you get this quote or what route did you take?? They quoted me at 36p & said this was with Avanti gas. Cant make out whats going on. Strange
    Originally posted by collectors

This isn't available to new customers, only those that have been on the variable tariff since about 2014/15 time.
    • collectors
    • By collectors 1st Nov 19, 7:54 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    collectors
    Ah! that's unusual in that a company is rewarding there customers for loyalty. "Well done Woldlink".
    • RandomTask
    • By RandomTask 7th Nov 19, 10:44 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    RandomTask
    I have had a letter from Avanti, stating that now the 12 month fixed period has expired they are increasing the price by 7.15p/l (from 32.9p/l).
    The contract states a maximum increase of 3p in any six month period. However it has the usual get-out clause about underlying increases in the wholesale cost of gas

I will object, and see what happens ...
    Originally posted by JerryW
    Did you get a reply from Avanti? I've just signed up for a fixed for 12 months deal at 31p + max 3p in 6 months afterwards.

First time with Avanti from Calor, so hoping I don't get the same as you at the end of the fixed deal!
    • JerryW
    • By JerryW 8th Nov 19, 8:46 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    JerryW
    Did you get a reply from Avanti? I've just signed up for a fixed for 12 months deal at 31p + max 3p in 6 months afterwards.

First time with Avanti from Calor, so hoping I don't get the same as you at the end of the fixed deal!
    Originally posted by RandomTask

Good luck! Make sure your tank is full after the 12 months is up, put a note in the diary..

I've had no reply .. not a dickybird. Will give them another day or two, then phone
    • JerryW
    • By JerryW 15th Nov 19, 11:16 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    JerryW
    now have a reply from Avanti complaints department (both dates are wrong):

We write in response to the complaint raised on the 29th November, following receipt of your letter dated 29th October in which you have raised concerns regarding the recent price increase applied to your AvantiGas account.

The recent price increase breakdown is explained as follows:
    • 3 pence per litre in line with Clause 6.4(b) of our Terms and Conditions relating to our Operational Costs.
      Our operational costs can be described as our running costs; for example, transport costs, diesel, delivery fleet maintenance, health & safety compliance & staffing, which have increased as we have increased our fleet, staffing etc., in preparation for the harsh winter months.
    • The remainder of the increase is due to the £ to $ exchange rate and is applied under Clause 6.4(a) of the Terms and Conditions.
      The £ to $ exchange rate has not been in our favour and over the last 12 months it has negatively affected our costs. The LPG market is a dollar market and it has reached a point where we have had to pass on a portion of the increases we have seen.
    However after further reviewing your account, and as a gesture of goodwill, we have reduced the increase to 3 pence per litre in line with our increased operational costs.

We hope you feel the above action is a satisfactory conclusion to your enquiry."

.. I have told them I won't pursue matters further, even though they have provided no information to back up the proposed increase. I also said I will look forward to their price reducing again, once the "harsh winter months" are over ...

In my opinion, there is no way for the consumer to have a decent relationship with any of the large lpg suppliers, unless you are able to negotiate a full two year price fix. I will work hard to get this next time..
    • HuwYnyr
    • By HuwYnyr 18th Nov 19, 9:50 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    HuwYnyr
    I sent out a message on this forum at the end of August this year, looking to switch suppliers. I was quoted a very good deal with Flogas so went ahead with it. This was at the start of September. I’ve had nothing but problems since then.
    First they turn around saying I can’t switch because my tank was to old. I then had a new tank installed in the exact location as the old one. I gave them notice that I had a new tank installed. They then told me I couldn’t switch because there wasn’t enough distance between the tank and garden wall for them to go ahead with the switch. I just feel I’ve been given the runaround for the past 2 month and a half. Anyone else had the same issue with switching suppliers? It looks like I have to stick with Calor and pay more than I should.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Nov 19, 9:54 AM
    • 26,409 Posts
    • 26,338 Thanks
    AdrianC
    First they turn around saying I can’t switch because my tank was to old. I then had a new tank installed in the exact location as the old one. I gave them notice that I had a new tank installed. They then told me I couldn’t switch because there wasn’t enough distance between the tank and garden wall for them to go ahead with the switch.
    Originally posted by HuwYnyr
    The age of the tank was unlikely to ever be the problem per se. Who installed the new one without looking at whether it was in conformity to all the current positioning regs...?

I presume you own the tank, rather than rent? Was the problem simply that the certification of it was out of date?
    • RandomTask
    • By RandomTask 18th Nov 19, 10:08 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    RandomTask
    Avantigas supply
    Now under contract with Avantigas for the first time. An order was raised for me on 1st November, but no gas yet. I've phoned 3 times and they don't yet have a scheduled date. I never had any problems with delivery from Calor.

I'm down to just over 5% on the tank and very worried about running out of gas, especially as I have kids and how cold it is just now. I know I'm in Scotland but I'm hardly remote - in Fife between Edinburgh and Dundee.
    • HuwYnyr
    • By HuwYnyr 18th Nov 19, 11:14 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    HuwYnyr
    Yes, you are right. What I meant was the certification of the tank was out of date. It was Calor themselves that installed the new tank in. Thing that baffles me is why didn’t they (flogas) pick up on it’s location in the first place.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Nov 19, 11:15 AM
    • 26,409 Posts
    • 26,338 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Calor shouldn't have swapped in a new tank without confirming the location conformed.
    • Pierre19
    • By Pierre19 25th Nov 19, 11:27 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pierre19
    Prices
    Hi all .....

We are out of contract with Flogas, were paying 0.36p p/l in last 12 months.

So getting prices ....
    Robert Flaxman : 0.36p for 12 months and a .05p cap in year 2. Standing charge £60.00p.a.
    Calor : 0.37p fixed for 24 months or 0.36p for 12 months and a 0.02p cap in year 2. Standing charge £63.00
    Avanti : 0.34p for 12 months, 0.03 p in any 6 months after (operational). Standing charge £66.00
    Flogas : 0.34p for 12 months, 0.05p cap in year 2. Standing charge £60.00

So staying with Flogas and will be able to get 2 deliveries in at less than we are paying just now.
    • dhpaul1
    • By dhpaul1 27th Nov 19, 10:45 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dhpaul1
    I recently moved from Calor to Avanti. Big mistake. I too made numerous phone calls begging for a topup, it finally came yesterday when tank was down to 7%. Calor never let it get below 20%. Avanti may be cheap but their way of working, only scheduling deliveries one day in advance is rubbish. Avoid like the plague. I am unfortunately signed up to a two year deal, but don't relish the prospect of stress and hassle every time my tank level starts to drop. Any thoughts on ways of getting out of a contract due to poor service?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 27th Nov 19, 10:52 AM
    • 26,409 Posts
    • 26,338 Thanks
    AdrianC
    To counter that, we completely ran out (own fault) and Calor couldn't refill for a week.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 27th Nov 19, 3:02 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 1,919 Thanks
    TamsinC
    So, looking to go to lpg, needing a new boiler as the old one isn’t coping well and currently oil, and I will happily pay extra for biolpg. (Quotes are for normal lpg)

Calorgas have quoted me 40ppl, flowgas 42ppl, and awaiting on Avanti. This is swapping to new tank too as the old one is sited right up against the house as very old. Do I have good cause to negotiate on these prices, they seem high compared to the last few quotes on this thread, or as a new customer with a tank being installed is it unlikely they will budge?
    Last edited by TamsinC; 27-11-2019 at 3:07 PM.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,594Posts Today

7,483Users online

Martin's Twitter