Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 127
    • neogeo
    • By neogeo 19th Nov 19, 4:41 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    neogeo
    OK, so I can try and go as far as I can myself, and if it gets to the stage that I can't continue, I can bin it and go through a NWNF company?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 19th Nov 19, 7:31 PM
    • 4,832 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    JPears
    Yes. But loose about 30-35%.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • neogeo
    • By neogeo 19th Nov 19, 10:34 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    neogeo
    Unfortunately if it involves my participation, they live in California, are in their seventies and speak broken English.
    • misfire22
    • By misfire22 19th Nov 19, 10:44 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    misfire22
    Ba flight delay
    Good evening

We have had a claim rejected due to diverse weather however we have documents stating our delay was due to extreme cabin temperatures.

Can anyone advise if these are the same or should we escalate?

We were delayed by almost five hours in Vegas waiting for a flight back to London Heathrow in august
    • JPears
    • By JPears 20th Nov 19, 8:53 AM
    • 4,832 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    JPears
    Hi misfire. As we have very litle information to go on from you, it is difficult to say.
    Details are required - flight dates, start and finish points etc.
    Perhaps download Vauban's most useful guide, large mug of tea, few biscuits as a useful starting point.

Diverse weather?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 20th Nov 19, 9:49 AM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 1,712 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    Las Vegas can have a problem with high temperatures in summer which means transatlantic flights may not be able to carry sufficient fuel to make it back without stopping. As a result, one airline pulled their entire summer schedule. The weather they have used as an excuse could simply be the temperature which might, and I emphasise might, have been a legitimate reason Were there any other transatlantic flights delayed on the same day, might be worth checking on the flight checker at euclaim
    • Burnieman
    • By Burnieman 20th Nov 19, 8:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Burnieman
    Just looking for a bit of advice.

Last Wednesday (13th), BA Heathrow to Larnaca. Boarded aircraft, pushed back but stopped after about 20 feet. Pilot says there was an issue with the tug and we have to wait, subsequently they think the tug damaged the nose gear, and we may need to change aircraft. After a further period the pilot says the engineers have inspected the nosegear and there was no visible damage, but as a precaution we need to change aircraft. We eventually landed in Larnaca at 21.33 (scheduled 18.25), 3 hours and 8 minutes late.

I have screenshots of the BA app showing arrival time, and also a text from BA confirming the delay was due to a technical issue. I have submitted a claim via Resolver as it appears a pretty straightforward claim.

However, a friend who decided to submit claim directly to BA had it rejected within 24 hours citing we didn't DEPART (!) over 3 hours late (it was 2hrs 57 mins), and citing headwinds (!). Now, I know and they know this is nonsensical excuses, but are we in for a battle with BA? I advised my friend to submit via Resolver.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 20th Nov 19, 8:48 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Just looking for a bit of advice.

Last Wednesday (13th), BA Heathrow to Larnaca. Boarded aircraft, pushed back but stopped after about 20 feet. Pilot says there was an issue with the tug and we have to wait, subsequently they think the tug damaged the nose gear, and we may need to change aircraft. After a further period the pilot says the engineers have inspected the nosegear and there was no visible damage, but as a precaution we need to change aircraft. We eventually landed in Larnaca at 21.33 (scheduled 18.25), 3 hours and 8 minutes late.

I have screenshots of the BA app showing arrival time, and also a text from BA confirming the delay was due to a technical issue. I have submitted a claim via Resolver as it appears a pretty straightforward claim.

However, a friend who decided to submit claim directly to BA had it rejected within 24 hours citing we didn't DEPART (!) over 3 hours late (it was 2hrs 57 mins), and citing headwinds (!). Now, I know and they know this is nonsensical excuses, but are we in for a battle with BA? I advised my friend to submit via Resolver.
    Originally posted by Burnieman
    As you already seem to have realised, BA are talking a load of rubbish yet again.

Try calling their CS in the afternoons an explain one final time. CEDR would almost certainly find in your favour if you refer your claim to them with a deadlock or final position letter from BA.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Burnieman
    • By Burnieman 20th Nov 19, 8:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Burnieman
    As you already seem to have realised, BA are talking a load of rubbish yet again.

Try calling their CS in the afternoons an explain one final time. CEDR would almost certainly find in your favour if you refer your claim to them with a deadlock or final position letter from BA.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap

Thanks. I'm pretty confident in my own mind that we are on solid ground here, but just wanted to check.

Have used Resolver previously for a claim on another airline with a positive result, so I'll wait and see what comes of that.
    • madbarber
    • By madbarber 25th Nov 19, 2:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    madbarber
    Advice please on out of pocket expenses/losses due to flight delay

My flight from Edinburgh to Gatwick was late meaning the onward connection to Tampa was missed and I lost a day of my holiday. BA put me and husband up in Premier Inn Gatwick. Flight and car were booked through BA holidays. BA already confirmed by email 2 days ago I am entitled to the max compensation of 600 euros each passenger in the booking.
    I am trying to recover out of pocket expenses/losses now and they are willing to refund 1 days lost car rental and cost of additional petrol as we flew into airport 100 miles north of our original destination. I rented a holiday villa through a separate company (not BA) so lost a night there which was already paid for in advance but BA say they wont refund this as it was not booked through them. If this is correct, then fair enough but I would have thought as the delay was due to them they would cover. It is not an insignificant amount at $176 for 1 nights rental.
    Am I allowed to claim for this in your opinion?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 25th Nov 19, 2:35 PM
    • 12,503 Posts
    • 8,147 Thanks
    Caz3121
    BA should pick up the costs of getting you to your original arrival airport
    have you spoken to your travel insurance re the consequential losses?
    • madbarber
    • By madbarber 25th Nov 19, 3:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    madbarber
    Thanks, I may be able to make a claim on travel insurance but this would be subject to £50 excess. Although in my opinion BA should meet the excess, I might lose the will to live pursuing the claim so may give up on that.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 25th Nov 19, 3:52 PM
    • 12,503 Posts
    • 8,147 Thanks
    Caz3121
    Although in my opinion BA should meet the excess
    Originally posted by madbarber
    BA need to get you from A to B, provide duty of care during the delay and, if the delay was within their control, pay EU261 compensation. with Ä600 each will you still be out of pocket?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 25th Nov 19, 9:05 PM
    • 11,379 Posts
    • 13,011 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I don't know if BA have upped their game recently but here's my experience in claiming compensation for a delayed flight.

I was booked on a flight last Thursday evening(21st Nov) which was due to depart at 1845 and land at LGW at 0905 the next morning.
    Because of their problems on Wednesday and Thursday, the flight departed about 4 hours late and landed at LGW at 1230 on Friday afternoon (3 hours 25 minutes late).
    Because of the late arrival, there was no gate available at Gatwick so the aircraft sat on the apron until 1315 and finally got to a gate at 1322.

I submitted an online claim yesterday morning citing a 4 hour 17 minute delay and this morning at 10 am, I had an e-mail back confirming that my submission had been accepted and they would be making a payment of Ä600 (£512.80) into my bank account in the next 4 to 6 days.

I fully expected them to agree to pay out but I thought that they would initially state that I was only entitled to Ä300 as the aircraft landed about 3 1/2 hours late but no, they immediately agreed that the delay was over 4 hours so the compo due was Ä600 and this was done the very next working day.
    • neogeo
    • By neogeo 25th Nov 19, 10:55 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    neogeo
    Hi, am using the 'Resolver' tool on this website, but am unsure how to proceed.
    I paid for my in-laws flights who live in the US. It is they who I am claiming compensation for.
    Resolver tool asks for the address of the person making the claim (I am filling it in on behalf of father in-law), but it only accepts UK address.
    Should I complete the form in my name and explain I am claiming for them, or use his name and use my address on the form, even though he lives in the US?
    • neogeo
    • By neogeo 25th Nov 19, 11:08 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    neogeo
    OK, edited final letter to state I was making the claim on behalf of my in-laws.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 28th Nov 19, 8:39 PM
    • 11,379 Posts
    • 13,011 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Just a quick update to my post of the 25th November.
    I submitted my delay compo claim to BA on the 24th November and the payment of €600 (£512.80) went into my bank account this afternoon.
    • newmum1
    • By newmum1 29th Nov 19, 12:44 AM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 5,629 Thanks
    newmum1
    Update to my earlier post.
    I have had a final reply from BA in relation to my flight delay. I was declined on the grounds of weather.

Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. I apologise for the delay in replying to you. We're sorry it was necessary to delay flight, BA2036 on 04 September. I understand this is something you feel strongly about and I appreciate why you're unhappy with our previous reply.

Iíve had another look at your claim for compensation and Iíve taken time to make sure our response is accurate and up-to-date. Based on this, our decision hasnít changed and the response youíve received about the eligibility of your EU compensation claim is correct.

As your flight was delayed due to adverse weather conditions, it means youíre not eligible for EU compensation.

Article 5.3 of the EU Regulation 261/2004 states a carrier is not obliged to pay compensation if it can prove the delay or cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances, that couldnít have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. In Recital 14 and 15 of EU Regulation 261/2004, extraordinary circumstances include weather, strike and the impact of an air traffic management decision which gives rise to a long delay. This means youíre not entitled to compensation under the EU Regulation for your delayed flight.

If you would like to know more about EU compensation, please visit our pages on ba.com.
    Last edited by newmum1; 29-11-2019 at 12:46 AM. Reason: .
    • richard3
    • By richard3 30th Nov 19, 6:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    richard3
    When will BA pay up
    We have been waiting for compensation from BA since late July. We completed the necessary online form and have been allocated a case number. We have subsequently emailed several times since then and got a standard response, giving us a few Avios points. If you try to telephone, you get a recorded message saying that they are experiencing a high level of claims and everything is taking longer than normal. The moment the recorded message is over the line is disconnected - it is impossible to talk to a human being. I have written to the Chief Executive of BA and had no reply (I had expected one if his minions would have replied). Very tempted to go to the Small Claims Court but is there any point?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 30th Nov 19, 9:11 PM
    • 11,379 Posts
    • 13,011 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Very tempted to go to the Small Claims Court but is there any point?
    Originally posted by richard3
    Before anyone can give an opinion on that, you need to post a lot more information.
    What are you claiming compensation for? (delay, cancellation, refused boarding),
    If it was a delay:
    how late were you getting off the aircraft?
    What was the reason for the delay?
    What was the route?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,904Posts Today

6,640Users online

Martin's Twitter