Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sheep1003
    • By sheep1003 18th Nov 19, 6:30 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 4Thanks
    sheep1003
    Seller claims they cancelled the listed
    • 18th Nov 19, 6:30 PM
    Seller claims they cancelled the listed 18th Nov 19 at 6:30 PM
    My Dad bid on 2 auctions from the same seller. Items started at 99p and postage was £15 on each. The auctions ended and he was the only bidder so got them for the starting price. These items are actually worth a lot more than that!!

Dad contacted the seller and asked for a combined postage cost, the seller replied saying “I’m sorry but I took these items down last week and for some strange reason they are still there. My apologies”. I advised him to contact the seller and ask them to cancel the sale (dad has not paid). I said that dad shouldn’t do as it’s not his responsibility. Dad sent the seller a message asking him to cancel the sale and dad hasn’t heard from him since. The items are still in the basket and dad had a ebay message saying ‘action needed: pay......”

The amount plus 2 lots of postage is £32.

The seller has 100% positive feedback and sells other rare items. Also the seller had listed other items since those listings ended.

What would the advice from yourselves be regarding the next step?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Colie72
    • By Colie72 18th Nov 19, 8:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Colie72
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:37 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:37 PM
    The seller entered into an auction which he can cancel up to 24hrs before the auction ends. Therefore, your dad should pay the fee (he is covered by eBay AND PayPal) and wait for his items. The reason the seller wants your dad to cancel is because if the seller cancels it will affect his ratings. Do not cancel if you want the items.
    Simply pay for them and the seller will either be forced to end them or will have to refund you, which he will not want to do as his sales record will be negatively affected.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 18th Nov 19, 9:40 PM
    • 4,618 Posts
    • 3,960 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 18th Nov 19, 9:40 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 9:40 PM
    You can't force the seller to sell you the items. If you don't pay then the seller could report it as unpaid and if you still didn't pay, it's you that could end up with the black mark

As above, as long as you pay PayPal, worst case scenario you get your money back.
    • sheep1003
    • By sheep1003 19th Nov 19, 7:17 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sheep1003
    • 19th Nov 19, 7:17 AM
    • 19th Nov 19, 7:17 AM
    Thank you.

Initially I thought paying was the best option but (I am a pessimist!!!) I thought what’s to stop the seller sending an empty box?
    • lindens
    • By lindens 19th Nov 19, 8:30 AM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 7,315 Thanks
    lindens
    • 19th Nov 19, 8:30 AM
    • 19th Nov 19, 8:30 AM
    Thank you.

Initially I thought paying was the best option but (I am a pessimist!!!) I thought what’s to stop the seller sending an empty box?
    Originally posted by sheep1003
    the weight of the box?
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • soolin
    • By soolin 19th Nov 19, 9:22 AM
    • 62,930 Posts
    • 45,304 Thanks
    soolin
    • 19th Nov 19, 9:22 AM
    • 19th Nov 19, 9:22 AM
    the weight of the box?
    Originally posted by lindens
    With so many services now doing it in blocks of weight there is virtually no chance of being able to prove something was missing with weight. The service I use for instance doesn't even show a weight and I am charged for parcels up to 2 kg , with no individual weights, and large letters on weight depending on the overall weight of all the packages combined.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Pierre De Grenoble
    • By Pierre De Grenoble 19th Nov 19, 10:23 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Pierre De Grenoble
    • 19th Nov 19, 10:23 PM
    • 19th Nov 19, 10:23 PM
    Thank you.

Originally posted by sheep1003
    I believe that as a buyer getting an empty box you simply start a SNAD claim. Seller is then forced to supply a tracked return label (or have eBay refund you).

Send the empty box back and seller will still have to refund you.

Happy to be corrected if I'm off the mark..
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 20th Nov 19, 6:45 AM
    • 29,563 Posts
    • 12,160 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 20th Nov 19, 6:45 AM
    • 20th Nov 19, 6:45 AM
    Yeah if it was such a bargain I would not have quibbled on the shipping. Just pay it in full.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • sheep1003
    • By sheep1003 20th Nov 19, 8:47 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sheep1003
    • 20th Nov 19, 8:47 PM
    • 20th Nov 19, 8:47 PM
    Thanks for your replies. They have been helpful in letting Dad decide what to do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,517Posts Today

7,236Users online

Martin's Twitter