Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 67
    • LGilland
    • By LGilland 18th Nov 19, 8:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LGilland
    American Airlines flight delay so missed connection
    Advice sought:
    I booked for 2 adults and 2 kids through BritishAirways.com a return through ticket from Aberdeen to Heathrow to Miami to Orlando. (All were BA flights aside from Miami-Orlando (return) which was American Airlines although a BA flight number). Coming home flight from Orlando to Miami was delayed over 3 hours due to a mechanical fault thus missed connection in Miami resulting in an overnight stay in Miami (with no luggage). AA gave us hotel and $12 meal voucher. We were booked on another flight from Miami on Virgin Atlantic 22 hours after our original Miami flight and then on a Flybe flight to Aberdeen. We arrived home approx 22 hours later than we should have. Can I claim since the journey was all bought under one ticket? If so, who should I claim against - AA or BA? Can I also claim for airport meals we had to have in the 22 hours we were in Miami? Also paid BA extra to get seats together on the long haul flight which we couldn’t get on the Virgin Atlantic flight we ended up going on - can I claim for that?

Any advice is much appreciated - from what I have read on Moneysavingexpert site having one through ticket may make a difference as opposed to if the flights were bought separately. Thanks in advance.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 19th Nov 19, 9:38 AM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    JPears
    I suspect that this maybe a case where you cannot claim compensation as non EU flight departing non EU airport, even though you were booked "under" BA.
    Lesson for the future, check who your return flights are with. If it had ben your outward journey compensation may have ben payable - but there is still a question as to who is repsonsible, depending on which leg got delayed.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 19th Nov 19, 9:49 AM
    • 12,503 Posts
    • 8,147 Thanks
    Caz3121
    EU261 compensation does not apply as non-eu airline and flight outside EU (does not matter who you purchased through or flight number, operating carrier counts) you could ask BA for a refund on the seat assignment fees and check if your travel insurance covers delays (although may only be token amount)
    Being on one ticket meant your flights were protected so we’re rerouted without you having to purchase a new ticket
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 19th Nov 19, 9:55 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    bspm1
    I suspect that this maybe a case where you cannot claim compensation as non EU flight departing non EU airport, even though you were booked "under" BA.
    Lesson for the future, check who your return flights are with. If it had ben your outward journey compensation may have ben payable - but there is still a question as to who is repsonsible, depending on which leg got delayed.
    Originally posted by JPears
    While you are correct in what you have typed above I can only tell you of my experiences when booking/having delays with non EU flights or airports.

On the last two occasions (three really but one of them was not a delay) on booking with either AA, United or BA, flying from Miami on one occasion, Orlando on another and Washington I have had to complain about delays, on all occasions I have been forwarded evouchers totalling over $800 each after complaining to the airline.

So. send them an email OP, what is there to lose.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 19th Nov 19, 10:01 AM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    JPears
    Agreed. I was just refering to regulation 261/2004.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • peter_333
    • By peter_333 19th Nov 19, 12:12 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    peter_333
    I agree here. The US carriers are usually pretty good at forking out compensation for significant travel disruption if you make a fuss (although the compensation often takes the form of travel vouchers). Also look into US compensation regulations, which only cover certain circumstances (and very different circumstances to EU regulation) but also tend to require much higher payouts.
    • LGilland
    • By LGilland 19th Nov 19, 7:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LGilland
    Many thanks for all your replies - much apprfciated. I will contact American Airlines and see what result I get - it's worth a try.
    • LGilland
    • By LGilland 26th Nov 19, 10:26 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LGilland
    Hi all,

I have had a response from American Airlines who are offering $175 each - it is in vouchers as a couple of you said it would be. Should I be pushing for cash or is that unlikely or just accept the vouchers? Problem is not sure if we will use the vouchers as it has to be American Airlines and no plans to go that far in the near future - unfortunate to say but this disruption has really put my kids off flying! Does anyone know if the vouchers have an expiry date and if so how long?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 26th Nov 19, 10:33 PM
    • 12,503 Posts
    • 8,147 Thanks
    Caz3121
    info on AA evouchers
    https://evouchers.aa.com/terms.jsp
    I would think it very unlikely they would give a cash alternative (they don't need to give you anything)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

250Posts Today

2,421Users online

Martin's Twitter