Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    • 9,761Posts
    • 14,691Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks)
    • 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks) 9th Jun 15 at 7:25 AM
    MSE Insert:

We've seen some debate on this thread about the relevance of some posts to the topic.

To ensure the thread remains on topic for forumites wanting to discuss the latest news we're asking that all posts contain a link to the news you're discussing.

For the purposes of this thread the "news" needs to be within the last two weeks.

Back to Martyn1981's original post.

---

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for posting general news items that may be of interest.

PV and the 'Solar in the news' thread attract a lot of interest, so here's a thread for all the other goings on.

Mart.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 09-10-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Page 205
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 18th Nov 19, 3:28 PM
    • 28,023 Posts
    • 13,869 Thanks
    Cardew
    If I start a new thread can we agree that if I stay off your thread you will stay off mine?

If we see something we don’t like on the other’s thread we will copy the post to our own threads and argue with ourselves on there.

I don’t believe that is any great hardship
    Originally posted by JKenH
    What an excellent idea.

Like so many other posters I grew weary of Martyn’s posting and after a couple of PMs decided to get away from his domination of threads in the Green and Ethical section of this forum and post in the Moneysavers Arms. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5726460&highlight=solar

The subject of my post was a Commons public accounts committee report on how consumer bills were affected by subsidies to support solar and wind power.

It took Martyn but a day to discover the thread and the opening line of the first of his fifty lengthy posts in this particular thread – bear in mind on solar and wind power! - predictably raised criticism of fossil fuel; and other posts swiftly moved on to criticism of nuclear power.

Requests to keep to the subject of the thread i.e The Commons public accounts committee report of solar/wind subsidies; met with this predictable response – no prizes for guessing the poster!

Actually I think it is essential to discuss nuclear since otherwise it just becomes 'renewables bashing'.
    So good luck with a Martyn free thread! Albeit I fear it is doomed to fail.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 18th Nov 19, 3:44 PM
    • 4,975 Posts
    • 6,733 Thanks
    zeupater
    What an excellent idea.

Like so many other posters I grew weary of Martyn’s posting and after a couple of PMs decided to get away from his domination of threads in the Green and Ethical section of this forum and post in the Moneysavers Arms. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5726460&highlight=solar

The subject of my post was a Commons public accounts committee report on how consumer bills were affected by subsidies to support solar and wind power.

It took Martyn but a day to discover the thread and the opening line of the first of his fifty lengthy posts in this particular thread – bear in mind on solar and wind power! - predictably raised criticism of fossil fuel; and other posts swiftly moved on to criticism of nuclear power.

Requests to keep to the subject of the thread i.e The Commons public accounts committee report of solar/wind subsidies; met with this predictable response – no prizes for guessing the poster!

So good luck with a Martyn free thread! Albeit I fear it is doomed to fail.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Hi

... but, after all these years, who on Earth in their right mind would possibly associate Cardew with 'renewables bashing'? .... don't you just love the hypocrisy that such a thought would entail! ...

Last edited by zeupater; 18-11-2019 at 3:52 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Nov 19, 7:57 AM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Hi

... but, after all these years, who on Earth in their right mind would possibly associate Cardew with 'renewables bashing'? .... don't you just love the hypocrisy that such a thought would entail! ...

Originally posted by zeupater
    Trolls to the left of me, deniers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you!

Looking on the bright side Z, they do all seem to be slowly coalescing into a single group, perhaps even thread. That way the hard line leftie Uber-hippies can keep a close eye on their movements ready for the start of the revolution ...................

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Nov 19, 8:04 AM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Short article looking at how things are going regarding 2030 targets:

Meeting Europe’s 2030 Energy Climate Goals: Renewables To Command 53% Of Electricity In 2030

Wood MacKenzie reports that although gas’s contributions will rise as coal and nuclear diminish, the combined supply of wind and solar will eventually rival gas. The projection is that the wind industry alone will far exceed gas in electricity generation by late in the next decade.

And a still developing site that gives live carbon intensity figures for generation, but don't look at Poland ....... I said don't look!

Electricity Map Live

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Nov 19, 8:10 AM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Another case of life and lemons perhaps.

Wind speeds are now rising, they had been falling, but science is not sure if it's down to GW yet. But the impact on wind generation is significant:

Renewable energy: climate crisis 'may have triggered faster wind speeds'

Zeng said the unexpected acceleration is likely to have played a bigger role in improving the efficiency of windfarms in the US than technological innovations.

• zeupater
    • By zeupater 19th Nov 19, 3:30 PM
    • 4,975 Posts
    • 6,733 Thanks
    zeupater
    Trolls to the left of me, deniers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you!

Looking on the bright side Z, they do all seem to be slowly coalescing into a single group, perhaps even thread. That way the hard line leftie Uber-hippies can keep a close eye on their movements ready for the start of the revolution ...................
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Hi

Thought it was quiet on the thread but then the above gave a clue as to why ...

Alternative to Green? ... first thoughts were 'brown' or 'black', which suggested oil, coal etc so that would obviously not make too much sense .. but then it hit me, 'green' in this case isn't a colour, it's the idea of environmentalism, ecology & sustainability ...

... hang on a minute though, wouldn't that mean that the alternative to 'sustainable' would be 'unsustainable' .... who on earth would create a thread titled 'The Unsustainable Thread' on the G&E board ?? ... ... as long as it leads to it remaining more civil on the main threads, who cares though!!

HTH
    Z ...
    Last edited by zeupater; 19-11-2019 at 4:22 PM. Reason: +s
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Nov 19, 4:31 PM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Article on RE to produce high temperatures, which is another challenge that needs addressing.

Bill Gates backs startup using sunlight to create 1,000C-plus heat

Bill Gates is backing a new venture which aims to turn sunlight into a source of heat exceeding 1,000C that could help replace fossil fuels.

The world’s richest man is joining investors behind Heliogen, the first company to concentrate sunlight to reach temperatures that are high enough to power heavy industry without carbon emissions.

The technology could even reach temperatures of 1,500C to split hydrogen molecules from water to create a fossil-free gas to warm homes, fuel cars and power factories.
    Gross said creating low-cost, ultra-high-temperature process heat gives the company an opportunity to make meaningful contributions to solving the climate crisis.

The technology can generate temperatures high enough to manufacture cement without fossil fuels.

• silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 19th Nov 19, 5:00 PM
    • 2,757 Posts
    • 4,171 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I would also add that I am always amused by those who take the time and trouble to tell a contributor they have placed them on ignore.
    Originally posted by JKenH

Well, as you can see I haven't put you on ignore but it really wasn't much trouble to ask other posters not to quote another poster at length.

Martyn may be a productive and lengthy poster at times, but you only seem to take issue with him. Why not with some of the real fantasy rubbish on here? I'm afraid the latter is just one of the reasons I don't take that much notice of what you post.

And as for having Cardew back: Zeupater has already summed that up...
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Nov 19, 5:10 PM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Article on PV and storage, but it also includes wind, so best on here I think:

Harmony Energy eyes second battery at Creyke Beck amidst sizeable subsidy-free solar pipeline

I won't give any extracts as the article is small, and every bit is (I believe) really interesting.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Nov 19, 5:14 PM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Hopefully we can now celebrate this news without attracting the wrath of the fossil fools.

EU bank sponsors solar pipeline after landmark fossil fuel funding u-turn

The world’s largest multilateral lender has followed its momentous decision to phase out fossil fuel funding with a move to back solar across European countries.

Late last week, the European Investment Bank (EIB) board approved €1.5 billion (US$1.6 billion) in new funding for renewables just as it voted to stop lending to fossil fuel projects by the end of 2021, citing a need to ramp up ambition to ensure Europe meets its climate targets.

The institution said the €1.5 billion earmarked under ‘Accelerating energy transition and scaling up renewable energy’ would support 15 new solar plants in Spain, as well as separate wind projects in Europe and Africa and small-scale renewable ventures across the world.

Addendum:

European Investment Bank drops fossil fuel funding

The European Union is to stop funding oil, gas and coal projects at the end of 2021, cutting €2bn (£1.7bn) of yearly investments.

The European Investment Bank (EIB), the EU's financing department, will bar funding for most fossil fuel projects.

The ban will come into effect a year later than originally proposed after lobbying by EU member states.

Since 2013, the EIB has funded €13.4bn of fossil fuel projects.

Last year it funded about €2bn worth of projects.

Under the new policy, energy projects applying for EIB funding will need to show they can produce one kilowatt hour of energy while emitting less than 250 grams of carbon dioxide, a move which excludes traditional gas-burning power plants.
    Last edited by Martyn1981; 19-11-2019 at 5:16 PM. Reason: Added an addendum

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 20th Nov 19, 7:31 AM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Storage.

More info on those Tesla Powerpacks being trucked around Aus, they are going to make the big battery a bit bigger:

Tesla Grid-Scale Battery In South Australia To Get 50% Larger

Tesla’s 129 MWh Hornsdale battery in South Australia was the biggest grid-scale battery in the world when it went into service two years ago. Now Neoen, the French company that operates the Hornsdale facility, says it will increase the capacity of the system by 50% to 150 MW/193.5 MWh.

And some UK carbon storage, but ....

North Sea oilfields could help contain climate change, says report

North Sea oil executives believe the ageing fossil fuel basin may still lead a global climate revolution by providing a testbed for clean energy breakthroughs.

An industry report has revealed that the North Sea could emerge as an unlikely climate hero by becoming a global showcase for the energy transition after decades producing fossil fuels.

The basin has produced almost 40bn barrels of oil over the last 40 years, but as oilfields decline the empty caverns could be used to store carbon emissions, according to PricewaterhouseCoopers.

The advisory firm added that North Sea gas producers may eventually be able to produce zero-carbon hydrogen by using electricity generated by offshore wind turbines to split the carbon molecules from natural gas.
    ..... and now for the but!

We can now produce green hydrogen using RE leccy and water, so extracting FF's and then trying to put the carbon back seems a bit silly.

Only a suggestion, but why not build bio-mass generation near the coastal pipelines, then store the CO2 given off, captured from the CO2 dense emissions. This would supply us with predictable, even demand following generation, and actually be carbon negative, rather than carbon neutral (at best)?

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 20th Nov 19, 7:37 AM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Always good to see some promising news from the US, even if it has an uphill battle:

Tax Credits for Renewables Get Another Shot in Congress

Democrats in the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee on Tuesday unveiled draft legislation in the latest attempt to extend tax credits for renewable technologies.

The Growing Renewable Energy and Efficiency Now, or GREEN, Act would extend the federal Investment Tax Credit for solar and offshore wind for five years and keep a 60 percent Production Tax Credit for onshore wind — set to expire this year — in place for five years. The discussion draft also includes incentives for energy storage, electric vehicles and environmental justice programs at colleges and universities.
    and

New Jersey More Than Doubles Offshore Wind Target to 7.5GW

New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy on Tuesday signed an executive order backing a goal of 7.5 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035, more than doubling the state's existing 3.5-gigawatt target for 2030.

By the mid-2030s, offshore wind could provide New Jersey with half of its electricity, Murphy said in a speech alongside former Vice President Al Gore. “No other renewable energy resource provides us either the electric generation or economic growth potential of offshore wind,” Murphy said.

New Jersey is heavily reliant on natural gas and nuclear power for its electricity, though it also gets nearly 5 percent from solar, among the highest penetrations in the country. Last year the state offered up subsidies to keep its dwindling fleet of nuclear reactors operating, joining a handful of other states including New York in doing so.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 21st Nov 19, 7:27 AM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Another mis-post perhaps, but I think this story on too much solar in Australia bodes well for the rest of us as they roll out storage solutions that we can piggyback onto, probably for off-shore wind:

This solar farm has to switch off every second day due to negative prices

The Sth Australia CO2e intensity graph is staggering showing a 50% reduction in 5yrs.

Also interesting to see how methods for coping with excess coal generation at night, such as water heating, will move to daytime to cope with solar.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 21st Nov 19, 7:43 AM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Good and bad.

It seems the move to refer to global warming or climate change as 'climate crisis' or 'climate emergency' is working, at the very least it means that when people chat about it, they are more likely to understand it's quite important.

Oxford Dictionaries declares 'climate emergency' the word of 2019

Oxford Dictionaries has declared “climate emergency” the word of the year for 2019, following a hundred-fold increase in usage that it says demonstrated a “greater immediacy” in the way we talk about the climate.

Defined as “a situation in which urgent action is required to reduce or halt climate change and avoid potentially irreversible environmental damage resulting from it”, Oxford said the words soared from “relative obscurity” to “one of the most prominent – and prominently debated – terms of 2019.”

According to the dictionary’s data, usage of “climate emergency” soared 10,796%.

Oxford said the choice was reflective, not just of the rise in climate awareness, but the focus specifically on the language we use to discuss it. The rise of “climate emergency” reflected a conscious push towards language of immediacy and urgency, the dictionary said.

In 2019, “climate” became the most common word associated with “emergency”, three times more than “health emergency” in second.

In May, the Guardian updated its style guide to clarify that “climate emergency” or “global heating” would be favoured over “climate change” or “global warming” (although the original terms are not banned) – to better reflect the scientific consensus that this was “a catastrophe for humanity”.

Awareness is great, but it seems we are no where near reducing FF consumption enough, in fact we've not even stopped it increasing yet:

Fossil fuel production on track for double the safe climate limit

‘We’re in a deep hole over the climate crisis and we need to stop digging,’ warn experts

The world’s nations are on track to produce more than twice as much coal, oil and gas as can be burned in 2030 while restricting rise in the global temperature to 1.5C, analysis shows.

The report is the first to compare countries’ stated plans for fossil fuel extraction with the goals of the Paris climate agreement, which is to keep global heating well below 2C above pre-industrial levels, and to aim for 1.5C. It exposes a huge gap, with fossil fuel production in 2030 heading for 50% more than is consistent with 2C, and 120% more than that for 1.5C.

Scientists have warned that even the difference between 1.5C and 2C of heating will expose hundreds of millions of people to significantly higher risks of extreme heatwaves, drought, floods and poverty.

The report was produced by the UN Environment Programme and a coalition of research organisations. It complements an earlier UN analysis showing the current Paris agreement pledges to cut emissions would still lead to a catastrophic 3-4C rise.

• EricMears
    • By EricMears 21st Nov 19, 9:17 AM
    • 2,578 Posts
    • 4,461 Thanks
    EricMears
    I don't think mathematics can be a strong point for the OED staff !
    Oxford Dictionaries has declared “climate emergency” the word of the year
    I can see two distinct words there !
    NE Derbyshire.
    4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 21st Nov 19, 9:49 AM
    • 2,757 Posts
    • 4,171 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    If they'd called it collocation of the year I'd have been OK with it, or even if they'd hyphenated it. But language does matter..
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 22nd Nov 19, 7:49 AM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Just a repeat, sort of, of what I've been saying lately, but once again it seems that the climate / climate crisis is being taken far more seriously than previously, which even if for greenwashing purposes, is still a positive move.

Climate crisis topping UK election agenda is 'unprecedented' change

The climate emergency has risen to the top of the UK’s election agenda in a way that would have been “unthinkable” even five years ago, leading environmentalists have said, predicting that it augurs a permanent change in British politics.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 22nd Nov 19, 7:57 AM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Article on transport emissions. I found the graph of rising emissions interesting as it more than doubles over the last 50yrs, but almost all of the increase is road transport.

'We're gonna need a bigger BEV!'

Are We Doing Enough To Tackle Global Transport Emissions?

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 22nd Nov 19, 8:02 AM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    The Ponzi scheme that keeps on taking.
    Even in the US, the 'shale dream' is starting to struggle. And a quick warning to any fossil fools, this article is both green AND ethical.

US Shale Oil Boom May Be Winding Down. What Does That Mean For America & The World?

The justification is that it gives America energy security, but we all know that is a bogus claim. America can have energy security in perpetuity if it simply takes advantage of all the free sunshine and wind resources it squanders every day. The only way someone can support fracking is to totally ignore the harm that all oil and gas does to the environment when it gets burned to make electricity or power cars, trucks, planes, and ships.
    The industry grew by 20% in 2018 and employment was up 11%. This year has seen no growth in the industry. Halliburton, one of the largest companies in the shale gas business, has laid off 3,000 workers. More than 3 dozen shale oil drilling companies have filed for bankruptcy.

All this gloomy news has investors who used to fund the industry holding onto their wallets instead. “I think now you’ve seen a lot of pressure of, ‘We want you to be a real business. Your cost structure’s too high, you have too much debt, I’m not funding your drilling anymore with external capital. You have to live within your own means,’ ” Deckelbaum says.
    What people like Ron Fountain fail to realize is that fracking is one of the dumbest endeavors humans have ever thought of. Shale oil producers routinely release the methane that is released with the oil directly into the atmosphere or burn it at the wellhead. So shale production has a double whammy on the environment. It front-loads the atmosphere with methane or carbon dioxide emissions in the production phase then adds even more carbon dioxide when it is burned later. The effect is like injecting a huge spike of heroin directly into the veins of an addict. The last thing the Earth needs now is more methane and carbon dioxide emissions.

And what does America get out of this? Tens of thousands of old wells that no one will pay to clean up because the industry has never been required to pay for the harm it does. Only someone with the limited brain power of President Quid Pro Quo would think that makes America anything but a third world country run by people who get offended when they are asked to clean up their mess. The only sensible course of action for the US is to eliminate oil, gas, and coal extraction altogether so the Earth can begin to heal itself from the wounds inflicted by the fossil fuel industry.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 22nd Nov 19, 8:11 AM
    • 9,761 Posts
    • 14,691 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    U-turn perhaps?
    So, Labour is suggesting that they will build the Swansea lagoon, and re-open discussions / investigations into nuclear.

But, and this is just my opinion, but based on the latest off-shore wind contracts, and the continuing falling cost in RE and storage in general, I struggle to see how nuclear makes any economic sense at all now.

AND, in a bit of a U-turn for me, I'm now struggling with the idea of the tidal lagoons, a technology I have been very supportive of. Swansea will be very expensive, but that's OK, it's relatively small and is really just a technology test for much bigger and cheaper deployments, but as with my concerns over nuclear, what if wind/PV + storage can beat the benefits that tidal brings - benefits such as predictability, an element of storage, an extra RE tool in the toolbox - on price, then in all fairness I have to apply the same concerns to tidal as i do to nuclear.

Tidal does have some additional 'bonuses' such as aesthetics, tourism, coastal/flood defence etc., so I guess we'll have to see how it all stacks up.

Labour commits to lagoon and nuclear plant in manifesto

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,422Posts Today

7,426Users online

Martin's Twitter