Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 9th Nov 16, 5:00 PM
    • 525Posts
    • 2,770Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Vegan Living & Ethical Buying
    • 9th Nov 16, 5:00 PM
    Vegan Living & Ethical Buying 9th Nov 16 at 5:00 PM
    Hi,

I'm not sure if there is a thread which covers this already but I am a vegan who tries to consume as ethically as possible and wondered if there is anyone else out there trying to do the same thing in as much of a money saving way as possible!??

I have recently had an increase in income and have therefore decided that from this day forward I will no longer purchase anything from any organisation that doesn't produce their goods ethically. It means that I will no longer use supermarkets; will either buy fresh products from a local organic box scheme or local organic producers; toiletries, household products and dry/tinned goods will be from a wholesale cooperative or a local health food shop.

Tomorrow I will look at a greener energy provider- I can't afford solar panels at the moment but I can look at renewable electricity suppliers. I already bank with an ethical bank and am basing all my choices on ratings via the ethical consumer website.

I know that this isn't going to be easy, not using any mainstream shops is going to take a lot of planning but I think its worth doing and hope that I'm not alone!!
    MFW 2019 No. 58 - DONE - MF as of 21/11/19
    2020 Targets - Grocery Challenge 0/3600;Holidays 0/10500; Garden 0/10000; Debts 0/13000
Page 11
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 11th Apr 19, 10:55 AM
    • 525 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    I finally managed to get my seeds sown a few weeks ago...now I have triffids in my kitchen!!

Hopefully this weekend I will be able to sort the veg box and plant them out before they start to take over my house completely

I'm trying to put off another suma order for a month or so - the less I spend the better at the moment- so the next few weeks will be using up what I currently have and making some strange substitutions!

House is coming on well now - we have ordered the spindles for the staircase so will hopefully have that all done over the easter break and other than the carpets and doors, everything should be completed by the end of this month!!

I have decided that once the house is done and the mortgage finished (hopefully 6 months from now) I really need to restock my wardrobe..I just need to find the most ethical clothing suppliers now so it looks like I'll need to do plenty of research
    2020 Targets - Grocery Challenge 0/3600;Holidays 0/10500; Garden 0/10000; Debts 0/13000
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 3rd Jun 19, 12:43 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    It's been a long time!!

Story so far - house is done few bits left but for all intents and purposes its completed

Its been very hard to stick to not buying from supermarkets and I've failed a few times now but I've done a pretty good job with all thats been going on

Life is back to a new normal now, I'm starting to do more cooking, keeping on top of things and planning ahead where possible.

The vegan food wraps haven't survived - nothing to do with them, just very poor maintenance We've also given up on the veg for this year, no time or space if we're being honest, but we've got plans in place for next year

All in all, I'm pretty impressed with my progress but now the house is sorted I'm going to make an additional effort!
    • savvy
    • By savvy 24th Jun 19, 6:11 PM
    • 30,207 Posts
    • 47,077 Thanks
    savvy
    Story so far - house is done few bits left but for all intents and purposes its completed
    Originally posted by squirrelgirl
    Congratualtions! Still have a ton to do on mine and now driveway collapsing

The vegan food wraps haven't survived - nothing to do with them, just very poor maintenance We've also given up on the veg for this year, no time or space if we're being honest, but we've got plans in place for next year
    Ah was going ask about the food wraps! Still have the cling film in the cupboard, but want to replace it when it's used up I've just picked up on the veg front but haven't got any raised beds still - so doggos can get in and dig up!!
    • augo123
    • By augo123 1st Aug 19, 2:53 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    augo123
    Good luck on making the switch!
    I haven't quite made it to completely vegan (still stuck on cheese), but there are some awesome recipes out there and basically if all else fails just make a curry! Beans and Chickpeas are going to be your best friend.
    Other ethical things for you to try if you haven't already...
    Only buy what you need!!
    Can you cycle to work? That's helped me cut down on costs for driving and has become a gym replacement!
    I've also recently started making the switch to plastic-free and there's this great website www.lifebeforeplastik.com that has been super helpful with tips to going plastic-free - something else new you could try!
    Also recently decided on cutting down on flight travel so am travelling via train to mainland europe for my holiday this september. Should be an adventure and seat61 gives great advice!
    I currently live in a flat but am toying with the idea of getting an allotment - fresh veg is probably even better at being ethical, and healthy
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 25th Sep 19, 8:59 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Not a lot going on at the moment (she says with a sigh of relief! ) but I've started planning for next year
    My main ethical move next year will be growing much more fruit, veg and flowers for cutting in the garden. That way, most of the fresh food I eat will be grown veganically!
    Bit of a bonus- ds picked up some free garden pots for me! I was going to check out freecycle or fleabay as I need some big ones to move the plants ready for the garden makeover in the spring - talk about a stroke of luck!!
    I love autumn - snuggled under a blankie, deciding on how my veg beds will be and this year planning the rest of the garden too!
    It's going to be a lot of work getting it prepared but it's going to be worth it!
    • mmmmikey
    • By mmmmikey 25th Sep 19, 9:42 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    mmmmikey
    Hi squirrelgirl - have you read Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew? I find it really inspiring and the advice there translates well into growing veg in pots. There's lots about square foot gardening online, but I think the book is particularly good. Must admit, I had a bit of a failure this year with broad beans totally decimated by black fly and most other veg just a bit disappointing. Green beans were good though. To be honest, I think one of the best bits is watching the seeds germinate in the spring. Good luck with it.
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 27th Oct 19, 12:25 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Thanks mmmmikey, I'll give it a look
    Not a lot going on at the moment, I'm looking to eat out of the cupboards and freezer for the next couple of months so will be needing a large suma order in the new year!!

I'm deciding what to grow next year...I'm looking to grow job lots of tomatoes as they are probably the thing I use more than anything else and are easy to store for the autumn and winter by dehydrating, roasting and freezing etc. I also want to do garlic (another one of my big use items) so need to get that in pots pretty soon as I believe it works better if it gets some frost

I'm not going to plant too much of anything else...I only want to have seasonal veg (other than the tomatoes) really so will plant enough to cover what we need with a few extras to cover the inevitable disasters I'm hoping that we can be reasonably self sufficient in veg by the end of next year - fruit is a different matter as we just don't have the space to grow as much as I'd like and keep enough garden for the grandbaby to have all his toys! However, some raspberries and apples (if they survive this winter in pots) blueberries (does anyone have any advice on small footprint but heavy croppers?) and strawberries will take the edge off the need to buy stuff

Previously I have grown stuff that is difficult to find in the shops but next year it's also the stuff that is easy to obtain (carrots, potatoes etc) so that it's grown veganically just got to see if I can keep the critters of it all!!
    • Greenglockenspiel
    • By Greenglockenspiel 2nd Nov 19, 9:07 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Greenglockenspiel
    Does anyone have any tips on buying organic in a less expensive way?
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 3rd Nov 19, 7:02 AM
    • 525 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Unfortunately greeng, the only way I have found is by obtaining some of mine from local 'roadside' sellers. There are quite a few people locally who sell their surplus and I've managed over time to speak to a few and buy from those who produce organically (it helps that they tend to be very enthusiastic about it and chatty! )
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 3rd Nov 19, 10:00 PM
    • 2,754 Posts
    • 4,165 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I'm not going to plant too much of anything else. I only want to have seasonal veg .

Have you thought about sweetcorn and asparagus? I took on an overgrown allotment a couple of months ago and am planning for next year. I'm not veggie or vegan so won't be restricting my use of the horse manure which gets dumped at the site entrance but do hope to otherwise be organic.

Blackmoor Estates sell asparagus and soft fruit plants including blueberry, which I'd also like to have as well as fruit trees. Might be worth a look.

For some of my other seeds I've been looking at the Real Seeds online catalogue as they sell heirloom varieties from which you can also save your own seeds as they aren't F1 hybrids. Some interesting looking chillies!
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 7th Nov 19, 12:02 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Thanks Silverwhistle... I'll definitely be doing sweetcorn - I did it a few years back and picked & cooked it immediately...never had sweetcorn so lush in my life!! Not sure about asparagus though as I'll have raised beds and not sure if it would work I need to do a bit more research I think I'll definitely check out Blackmore Estates and Real Seeds though...thank you!
    I'm currently checking out garden designers in my area - I really want to have the hardscaping completed by the end of March so that I can have a full growing year but I guess that I'll just do pots if I can't get the timing right

Nothing new to report really - I need to get a Suma order in in December as I'm really low on a number of things. I need to clear out under the stairs after the final work on the house has been completed next weekend so that I have the storage space for it! Freezers will be cleared by the end of November too so I can get those defrosted ready to refill I'm looking forward to next year as this one has been very full on and being able to chillax and enjoy the fruits of my labour is very appealing!!
    • FreebieMum
    • By FreebieMum 13th Nov 19, 4:12 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    FreebieMum
    Look at lowering your energy and water bills.

LED lighting, water flow restriction on taps and showers.

Also there is a product called Rabot that you put on your radiators that automatically adjusts heating patterns that can save 10% on your energy bills. I got mine from SaveMoneyCutCarbon, brilliant little things! I think they still on discount now as well.
    • fred_jackson
    • By fred_jackson 15th Nov 19, 11:44 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    fred_jackson
    Hi,

I'm not sure if there is a thread which covers this already but I am a vegan who tries to consume as ethically as possible and wondered if there is anyone else out there trying to do the same thing in as much of a money saving way as possible!??

I have recently had an increase in income and have therefore decided that from this day forward I will no longer purchase anything from any organisation that doesn't produce their goods ethically. It means that I will no longer use supermarkets; will either buy fresh products from a local organic box scheme or local organic producers; toiletries, household products and dry/tinned goods will be from a wholesale cooperative or a local health food shop.

Tomorrow I will look at a greener energy provider- I can't afford solar panels at the moment but I can look at renewable electricity suppliers. I already bank with an ethical bank and am basing all my choices on ratings via the ethical consumer website.

I know that this isn't going to be easy, not using any mainstream shops is going to take a lot of planning but I think its worth doing and hope that I'm not alone!!
    Hey, I absolutely love your message and I too can relate to it!

Firstly I have to say a huge congrats for doing this and we need more people like you. The key thing is, it's not a race. We can all make small changes incrementally, slowly and at our own leisure.

So I have been raised a vegetarian my entire life which is like 30 years and I decided to go vegan 2 years ago. I also made the decision about being more conscious about the way I shop wanting it to be as ethically produced as possible.

I have stopped shopping at the likes of Primark even though it's affordable because of fast-fashion and its impacts on the environment. Also, the fact that their goods are made unethically in sweatshops. In recent months I have purchased ethical vegan fashion albeit it's slightly more expensive - https://veenofs.com/

In terms of groceries, I find it difficult to buy everything from a local store, but around 50% of it is. The other 50% is Lidl as the fruits, veg and almond milk is so cheap! The one change I haven't made yet is the energy but will do this when I get a chance.

I also like supporting smaller businesses e.g when I grab a coffee on the go, instead of Costa or Starbucks, I'll try and find a smaller company if the option is there.

I would love to hear from you with your ideas, suggestions and how you're getting on!
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 16th Nov 19, 1:50 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Welcome aboard Fred!
    It's 3 years now since I started this thread and thankfully, I can use my fingers to count how many times I've had to use a supermarket since! I've had to be very organised and also build storage space in my home to be able to achieve this but it's definitely been worth it.

It's not a cheap way of living at all -I've spoken to a number of friends and colleagues over the years and know that my expenditure on goods is dramatically higher as a result of the choices I make - however, for me, it makes sense to do so.

I am extremely fortunate that I live in the country and there are a lot of organic and veganic gardeners who sell excess produce - this has been a real bonus!

I invested in an excaliber dehydrator about 15 years or so ago and it has been a real help - when
    I get loads of fresh produce in the spring and summer, I am able to store lots for the winter months (along with using my freezers) and make stock powder, dried herbs etc. Dehydrated strawberries are the best sweeties on the planet!!
    I also make my own sauces, jams, breads, cordials, flavoured balsamics, pastas, seitan etc which means that as long as the basic ingredients are from an ethical source, I don't need to do an awful lot of research on end producers - some of the brands marketed as 'ethical' are owned by conglomerates which are anything but!!

I think that the thing I have found most shocking (and in all fairness, amusing!) is the occasional animosity I've encountered from some people - regardless of my own choices, I'm not someone who preaches or judges so why they feel the need to defend the choices they make with such vitriol is beyond me!

Ultimately, I'm incredibly fortunate to be able to make the purchasing choices I make - when my budget was considerably smaller, I did what I could - having been an animal rights activist and environmentally aware since I was a young teenager, I've lived my entire adult life as ethically as I've been able to afford so agree entirely that small changes are important

The thing that helped me the most was working out exactly what I used over the first year of this journey - this enabled me to order a years worth of dried/bottled/packaged/tinned/household goods and toiletries at a time which saved on money, packaging and the environmental impact of transport - it did mean that the storage issue had to be resolved though! Thankfully I have been renovating my house over the past year so this increase in storage was included in the plans!

Next year I will have more time at my disposal so will be able to grow more produce and make even more from scratch so I'm looking forward to it!

Good luck with your own journey and let me know how you're getting on!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

2,896Users online

Martin's Twitter