Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 52
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 15th Oct 19, 2:19 AM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Looking at potentially going to small claims court.

I had a flight booked to Abu Dhabi back in November.
    I received notification that the flight was cancelled 7 days before departure, and the alternative flight was for 11 hours later than the original, I should be due 600.

I booked this flight through travel agent GetAFlight, and they were the ones to send me notification of cancellation.

I first complained to GetAFlight, who stated I needed to claim from the airline (Gulf Air) as they are responsible for schedule changes and compensation claims.

I complained to Gulf Air who state they sent notification to the travel agent more than a month in advance, however they are unwilling or unable to provide proof of this to me.

Can a travel agent be liable for compensation under EC 261/2004? Or do I still go after Gulf Air?
    Originally posted by Escorcio
    You claim from Gulf Air, who must be able to prove that they informed you two weeks or more prior to any cancellation to avoid paying compensation. The onus of proof is on them, so even they may be able to prove they told the agent it counts for nothing.

This is a regular problem with booking agents.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • saime
    • By saime 16th Oct 19, 8:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    saime
    Had a delay in July 2015. Claimed from the airline in October 2018. Ukraine International said I passed the 2 year limit. I claimed via Resolver in Feb 2019, the same reply. I escalated to CAA via Resolver in May 2019. No reply at all. What to do next?

Anyone has any experience or ideas? Thanks in advance.
    • SJE101
    • By SJE101 25th Oct 19, 1:33 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SJE101
    Update - cathay pacific delay
    Hello All, Just wanted to update as I had multiple conversations with Cathay Pacific refusing to pay out on my *valid* claim. They just kept saying no.

UPDATE 25 OCTOBER 2019

I had engaged Bott & Co last month as I was getting nowhere with Cathay and I live in Australia so too hard to do it myself. AND today I received a letter from Bott & Co that Cathay have agreed to pay my claim!! Well obviously I am happy to get something back that will cover my losses and our due compensation but honestly disappointed that Cathay couldn't have just given it up directly. They didn't even go to court so they know they are in the wrong!

BACKGROUND

We were delayed 12 hours on a flight with Cathay Pacific out of London to Hong Hong and missed our connecting flight (separate ticket) and had to book a new flight and hotel for the night. I did have travel insurance which covered some of the costs but not all. The reason for the delay given by Cathay was a delay in the incoming flight leaving Hong Kong due to weather (an exempt event) but that is not a valid reason as the delay was not caused by weather at my location. In addition the delay in the incoming plane was 12 hours but all other planes departing at this time were only delayed by 1-2 hours through research on flight radar.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 25th Oct 19, 8:55 AM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    JPears
    I would write to the CAA and ask WHY you had had to employ and pay for the services of Botts when you had a perfectly valid claim that Cathay persistantly denied you.
    Their, essentialy unlawful, action has cost you a considerable amount of money.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Shandyandy1969
    • By Shandyandy1969 5th Nov 19, 6:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shandyandy1969
    Could anybody help please I recently traveled from Birmingham to Bangkok via Doha with Qatar Airways the connecting flight from Doha to Bangkok was delayed 5hours am I entitled to compensation thanks
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 5th Nov 19, 6:35 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Justice13075
    What was the reason for the delay?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 6th Nov 19, 8:54 AM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    JPears
    Could anybody help please I recently traveled from Birmingham to Bangkok via Doha with Qatar Airways the connecting flight from Doha to Bangkok was delayed 5hours am I entitled to compensation thanks
    Originally posted by Shandyandy1969
    Download Vauban's guide. Most, it not all, of your anwers will be there.
    Last edited by JPears; 06-11-2019 at 9:51 AM.

• Shandyandy1969
    • By Shandyandy1969 6th Nov 19, 3:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shandyandy1969
    Technical problems
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 6th Nov 19, 9:18 PM
    • 2,420 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    fifeken
    Technical problems
    Originally posted by Shandyandy1969
    Yes, compensation is due, although they might say no due to the flight affected being outwith the EU, but they're wrong.

For what it's worth, I just received compensation from QR today, just over two weeks since first getting in touch. Different circumstances from yours but shows they can be quick in dealing with things at times.
    • Shandyandy1969
    • By Shandyandy1969 8th Nov 19, 3:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shandyandy1969
    Just heard Im getting 600 each thanks
    • SJE101
    • By SJE101 19th Nov 19, 11:22 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SJE101
    Hello All, Just wanted to update as I had multiple conversations with Cathay Pacific refusing to pay out on my *valid* claim. They just kept saying no.

UPDATE 25 OCTOBER 2019

I had engaged Bott & Co last month as I was getting nowhere with Cathay and I live in Australia so too hard to do it myself. AND today I received a letter from Bott & Co that Cathay have agreed to pay my claim!! Well obviously I am happy to get something back that will cover my losses and our due compensation but honestly disappointed that Cathay couldn't have just given it up directly. They didn't even go to court so they know they are in the wrong!

BACKGROUND

We were delayed 12 hours on a flight with Cathay Pacific out of London to Hong Hong and missed our connecting flight (separate ticket) and had to book a new flight and hotel for the night. I did have travel insurance which covered some of the costs but not all. The reason for the delay given by Cathay was a delay in the incoming flight leaving Hong Kong due to weather (an exempt event) but that is not a valid reason as the delay was not caused by weather at my location. In addition the delay in the incoming plane was 12 hours but all other planes departing at this time were only delayed by 1-2 hours through research on flight radar.
    Originally posted by SJE101
    UPDATE 20 NOVEMBER

Money in bank account from Bott & Co! Why oh why Cathay did you not pay up? I might ask them!
    • JPears
    • By JPears 20th Nov 19, 8:49 AM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    JPears
    And a complaint to the CAA.
    Cathay have clearly denied you compensation, unlawfuly. It has no cost you a considerable proportion of your compensation to force the money out of them when they should have paid up in the first place.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

3,994Users online

Martin's Twitter