Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • venison
    • By venison 23rd Nov 18, 11:23 PM
    • 3,984Posts
    • 5,697Thanks
    venison
    New 47kg LPG what are you paying thread
    • 23rd Nov 18, 11:23 PM
    New 47kg LPG what are you paying thread 23rd Nov 18 at 11:23 PM
    Starting an updated what are you paying for 47kg LPG as the old one was 8 years old and mostly out of date.

I'll start this one off. 57.96p flogas E Midlands

Please use this thread now,

Thanks
    Last edited by venison; 24-11-2018 at 7:28 PM.
    For the many NOT the few
Page 2
    • Forestdan
    • By Forestdan 26th Feb 19, 2:21 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Forestdan
    Last year we use 12 cyclinders

Down to a rubbish boiler! So you can imagine how much its cost us per year. We are fighting a losing battle at the mintue.

Trying to live with a faulty boiler that is guzzling gas.

During colder months its around 1/1.5 bottles every 6/7 days!
    • venison
    • By venison 27th Feb 19, 8:17 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 5,697 Thanks
    venison
    This might be worth a read if you are on qualifying benefits;

https://www.boilergrants.info/form.php?s=PPCGoogle+4921-3+g&m=124973245+8416358605+239519060295+kwd-70691224923&t=1t2+b+c&utm_source=PPCGoogle+4921-3+g&utm_medium=124973245+8416358605+239519060295+k wd-70691224923&utm_term=1t2+b+c&marketing_01=ppc&mark eting_02=google&marketing_03=44143&marketing_04=&m arketing_05=6642532278&marketing_06=124973245&mark eting_07=8416358605&marketing_08=kwd-70691224923&marketing_09=government%20scheme%20for %20new%20boiler&marketing_10=b&marketing_11=239519 060295&marketing_12=1t2&marketing_13=g&marketing_1 4=c&marketing_15=9045955&marketing_16=&marketing_1 7=EAIaIQobC!!!!_u4xd3c4AIVp5PtCh3YQAIaEAAYAiAAEgKr dPD_BwE&gclid=EAIaIQobC!!!!_u4xd3c4AIVp5PtCh3YQAIa EAAYAiAAEgKrdPD_BwE

sorry about the long link but it does work
    For the many NOT the few
    • venison
    • By venison 23rd Apr 19, 8:02 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 5,697 Thanks
    venison
    Just had a 2 increase from flogas to 60.02
    For the many NOT the few
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 23rd Apr 19, 8:30 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    fewkeste
    They've had your trousers down!
    Just had a 2 increase from flogas to 60.02
    Originally posted by venison
    Still 54.97 inc. vat on my Flogas online account
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 2nd May 19, 8:15 AM
    • 5,359 Posts
    • 6,772 Thanks
    A. Badger
    This is getting stranger and stranger. My local stockist is now charging 73 and Flogas is only a couple of pounds cheaper if I go direct. So how can it be that other Flogas customers are paying so little?

It's high time this racket was investigated!
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 19th Sep 19, 6:07 PM
    • 5,359 Posts
    • 6,772 Thanks
    A. Badger
    And this Autumn's price? 79. This is in Kent, BTW.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 19th Sep 19, 8:49 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    fewkeste
    It's all the fault of Brexit according to Calor!
    Just paid 54.97 including VAT and free delivery in the East Midlands with Flogas. Calor wanted 56.97 + VAT + 5 delivery per load and claimed it's prices were higher because LPG is bought in dollars and because of Brexit the /$ exchange rate is poorer so they have paid more for the LPG.

Anyone else had the /$ exchange rate quoted to them as a reason for LPG price rise?
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 20th Sep 19, 10:51 AM
    • 5,359 Posts
    • 6,772 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I still want some sort of explanation why a customer in the Midlands pays 24 less than one in Kent! A few pence, even a couple of pounds, would be one thing but this sort of disparity is absurd.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 20th Sep 19, 3:37 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    fewkeste
    It's what they can get away with I think
    I still want some sort of explanation why a customer in the Midlands pays 24 less than one in Kent! A few pence, even a couple of pounds, would be one thing but this sort of disparity is absurd.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    I suspect it's mostly down to what they think they can get away with. That's way it needs regulation. There's almost a monopoly situation out there (closer to a duopoly actually) and that's not good for competion or the consumer.

If you read back in the thread someone posted they tried to get a regulator or some body/organisation like that but there was little interest.

Perhaps a petition on the No. 10 Downing Street website asking for LPG prices to be investigated and a regulator/Ombudsman to be appointed might gain support.
    • venison
    • By venison 20th Sep 19, 4:17 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 5,697 Thanks
    venison
    Just paid 54.97 including VAT and free delivery in the East Midlands with Flogas. Calor wanted 56.97 + VAT + 5 delivery per load and claimed it's prices were higher because LPG is bought in dollars and because of Brexit the /$ exchange rate is poorer so they have paid more for the LPG.

Anyone else had the /$ exchange rate quoted to them as a reason for LPG price rise?
    Originally posted by fewkeste
    If they are buying in dollars then it will be costing more as the value of sterling has fallen this year.
    For the many NOT the few
    • venison
    • By venison 10th Oct 19, 4:21 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 5,697 Thanks
    venison
    Went to order online yesterday and flogas wanted 63.93 almost a 4 increase, so spoke to an account manager and he reduced it to 59.72 not just for me but for the other 25 users on our park home site. as Tesco say "every little helps"
    For the many NOT the few
    • frugalstephen
    • By frugalstephen 10th Oct 19, 4:45 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    frugalstephen
    Gotta laugh, price of a cylinder here (near Belfast) is 94!! I would keep quiet buddy, you're on to a good thing
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 10th Oct 19, 10:18 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Clucking Bell!!
    Gotta laugh, price of a cylinder here (near Belfast) is 94!! I would keep quiet buddy, you're on to a good thing
    Originally posted by frugalstephen
    Wow! How many different suppliers are you able to order from? Are they all in the same ball park in terms of price?

I wonder if there are any logistical reasons to justify that price hike? I can't think of any so I could only conclude they are ripping you off.

Are you the gentleman that once tried to get some sort of official investigation into LPG prices in NI?

I wonder if these price hikes are prevalent in the south - do you know?
    • frugalstephen
    • By frugalstephen 10th Oct 19, 10:27 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    frugalstephen
    Yes, I am that gentleman LOL No official authority was interested at all. Even tried the 'Consumer Council' a government body in NI who dismissed my complaint as being unfounded. There is a spread of prices of about 2 either way. Yes, it is a total rip off and has been for years. Luckily for me, I only need it for a decorative fire, which because of said rip off, has not been lit for years. I'd hate to be actually reliant on it for heating etc. Still makes me smile when 'mainland' prices are constantly 30/40 cheaper on one single cylinder. Under the same model, I should be paying 2.20/litre of petrol, so grateful for small mercies
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 10th Oct 19, 11:08 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    fewkeste
    What about a petition on 10 Downing Street website
    @frugalstephen What about starting a petition on the 10 Downing Street website? I understand anyone can initiate one and if it gets above a certain number of signatures, then Parliament is obliged to discuss/debate the topic.
    • frugalstephen
    • By frugalstephen 10th Oct 19, 11:17 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    frugalstephen
    A valid comment, though I believe it needs 100,000 signatures before being considered. That's a big percentage of NI citizens to sign up (can't see anyone else being remotely interested) so unlikely to gain the required support. Besides, all the government activities revolve around Brexit, and NI cylinder gas prices just aren't sexy LOL
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 11th Oct 19, 12:02 AM
    • 5,359 Posts
    • 6,772 Thanks
    A. Badger
    This is something that the CMA should be looking into. They are currently rampaging through all kinds of industries (the easy targets) claiming they are campaigning against unfair practises.

With absolutely no expectation of success, I am going to try to budge them over this flagrant abuse of a duopoly,
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 11th Oct 19, 1:29 AM
    • 454 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Not just NI I suspect
    A valid comment, though I believe it needs 100,000 signatures before being considered. That's a big percentage of NI citizens to sign up (can't see anyone else being remotely interested) so unlikely to gain the required support. Besides, all the government activities revolve around Brexit, and NI cylinder gas prices just aren't sexy LOL
    I think that it wouldn't just be NI LPG users that would sign but all LPG users in the whole of the UK would be potential supporters I would imagine. Let's face it anyone who buys LPG can't help but notice that something weird is going on.

I accept that NI is a particularly serious example of exploitation but don't make the mistake/assumption that there wouldn't be support from the rest of the UK - I think there would; especially if someone like Martin drew attention to it in his TV show & newsletter.
    • frugalstephen
    • By frugalstephen 21st Oct 19, 11:24 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    frugalstephen
    Quick update - I followed up the complaint I made some years back, and have just received this response, may be some hope yet!

"Thank you for your further correspondence to The Consumer Council in relation to the price differential of liquid petroleum gas between Northern Ireland and Great Britain.
    The Consumer Council wrote to the Competition and Markets Authority about this issue in March 2019. In our correspondence we reiterated The Consumer Council belief that home heating oil and LPG markets are not working as effectively for consumers in Northern Ireland as they should. We also asked the CMA to investigate our off-grid market. We submitted additional evidence in October 2019. I have attached for your attention a copy of the two letters.

We are yet to hear formally from the CMA about any decision to launch our investigation, but we believe that we have provided robust evidence to support our ask.

Thanks and regards

Paulino

Paulino Garcia
    Head of Policy (energy)

Concumer Council Northern Ireland"
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 21st Oct 19, 3:57 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Could you ask them to ask if the CMA investigation will consider looking at the whole of the UK?
    Quick update - I followed up the complaint I made some years back, and have just received this response, may be some hope yet!
    Nice one - Well done!!

Presumably you will respond and thank/acknowledge their efforts. In that communication, can you suggest to them that they encourage the CMA to take the view that the whole of the UK including NI should be looked at by the CMA? (although I do acknowledge that NI seems to be a pretty clear example of exploitation)

The CMA may be more minded to assign resources to this if they think it's a UK wide problem; albeit the NI situation seems to be a particularly egregious example.

We wait with bated breath the results of the investigation (if they do it of course.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,415Posts Today

7,425Users online

Martin's Twitter