Train Delays guide discussion

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JossyDavey wrote: »
    Great article, but I couldn’t find much info on missed connections. For example, I was recently on a train from London which arrived 13 mins late, this meant I missed my connection and had to wait over an hour for the next one. I arrived at my final destination 62 minutes later than i would have done had the first train been on time.

Was I delayed 13 minutes or 62 minutes? The two trains were operated by different companies; virgin and northern, respectively. Where do I stand with compensation?
    You can use two or more tickets for one journey.

You arrived at your destination 62 minutes late. That is the time that you were delayed.

As the lateness of Virgin's train caused the delay, it is them that you should be claiming compensation for over an hour's delay.
  • Hi I have a site that I created a while ago that will help anyone who is looking to make claims across the GTR network
    It’s free to use, there is no registration and no adds - I am not making anything from this site-

Currently it only shows weekdays and is limited to GTR but when I have time I will extend

I’m not able to post a link as I am a new user but search for delays [dot] me [dot] uk
    It has recently been endorsed by the ABC communtor group
  • onashoestring
    onashoestring Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Have never needed to claim before but when my train on the 2nd leg of my journey from Sussex to Wales was cancelled on 4th July, I missed the next train delaying my arrival at my destination by over an hour, meaning that I arrived after midnight !!!!

I was concerned about how successful my claim would be as different legs of the journey were provided by different train operators & I’d purchased my ticket from Trainline.

I used the waiting time to read your article , the following morning I submitted my claim, I claimed from the one who cancelled the train.I originally made an error which meant that my claim was rejected, however it was easy to appeal & correct my mistake.

I received a full refund on 10th ( & would have been sooner , if I hadn’t made an error initially)

The process was very easy & the “free” journey made up for arriving at my destination after midnight.

In fact since I get 10% cashback on my Trainline purchases I actually made money from this delayed trip !!!
  • MSE_Kelvin
    MSE_Kelvin Posts: 340 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Hey onashoestring,

Thanks for sharing your success with us - really pleased to hear the Train Delays guide helped you get your money back.

What was the total sum you were refunded?

MSE Kelvin
    Have never needed to claim before but when my train on the 2nd leg of my journey from Sussex to Wales was cancelled on 4th July, I missed the next train delaying my arrival at my destination by over an hour, meaning that I arrived after midnight !!!!

I was concerned about how successful my claim would be as different legs of the journey were provided by different train operators & I’d purchased my ticket from Trainline.

I used the waiting time to read your article , the following morning I submitted my claim, I claimed from the one who cancelled the train.I originally made an error which meant that my claim was rejected, however it was easy to appeal & correct my mistake.

I received a full refund on 10th ( & would have been sooner , if I hadn’t made an error initially)

The process was very easy & the “free” journey made up for arriving at my destination after midnight.

In fact since I get 10% cashback on my Trainline purchases I actually made money from this delayed trip !!!
  • onashoestring
    onashoestring Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    MSE_Kelvin wrote: »
    Hey onashoestring,

Thanks for sharing your success with us - really pleased to hear the Train Delays guide helped you get your money back.

What was the total sum you were refunded?

MSE Kelvin

£23:50 refund
    ( I had purchased my ticket in advance ) saving £72:76
    Plus I got 10% Cashback through complete savings £2:35
  • Leoglas
    Leoglas Posts: 9 Forumite
    I've claimed full fares twice and half fare once for my wife and me (Travel two together rail card) on Transpennine Express. TPE refused to accept my claims initially, so with the help of TF I eventually received my due compensation. One of the claims was for there being no refreshments available in first class for the entire 2 hours+ journey. If claimants don't get their correct compensation from the train company, Transport Focus is there to assist. Always take a photo of your tickets in case you need to email copies of them to the rail company and TF.
  • marmite1979
    marmite1979 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Are their any avenues for compensation when rail strikes encourage you into ending a weekend break five hours early?
    I bought tickets and hotel prior to the strike being announced.
    My plan for Sunday was to leave at 15:24 after doing some sightseeing.
    This train would have required one change. This service was a casualty of the strike, my alternatives were either a long winded round trip with two 1 hour connections included, or a 10:25 needing two short stops.
    Its also advisable to take the earliest opportunity to get home in case of further disruption.
    Have I got a compensation case to make?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Workout what time you would've arrived at you destination at if you had stood at your departure station in time to catch the 15:24.
    In other words, when was the next train and if having caught that what time would you have arrived at your destination?
  • DingerUK
    DingerUK Posts: 64 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Useful info here. Make delay pay.
  • Hi,

I wanted to know how i can see tube service history for the last 7 or 14 days? Is their any website that provides this information. Searched online but got no information like that.

Thanks for your help.

Abhi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family