Centre parks is it good-Sherwood Forest

nutjob666
nutjob666 Posts: 9 Forumite
My friend is considering booking 4 nights and 5 days at Centre parks Sherwood Forest in June during school term time at a cost of £600,she's wondering if it is worth the money,if anyone has any experience of centre parks,could they offer any advice or say if they felt it was a good place to go,the holiday is for a couple aged 30 and a 10 year old lad and a girl aged 6,many thanks

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I love centre parcs, going again in December. My centre parcs experience though is limited to whinfell forest.

It seems to be suggested its quite pricey but i dont think it is and im typically quite budget restrained. Basically i clearly think its value for money.

Activities can be quite expensive but again seem to offer value for money for what we got.

The restaurants are definitiely on the higher side of pricing and they tend not to accept discount codes/vouchers, we took a starbucks voucher which couldnt be used at that site. Id recommend doing a shopping trip to take with you, its SC and well stocked so can choose to eat all food at your lodge if you want to save as much as possible but then the pancake house is worth a visit.

You can be on site before official check in time, so go as early as possible to maximise youre time there, same on the friday, people seem to leave really early so you can get a good quiet period on the friday afternoon if you can afford to leave later.
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I went to Sherwood last October which was classed as term time holiday even though for us it was half term. The lodge was nice and the surroundings beautiful BUT I felt personally the activities are very overpriced for what they are. We did high ropes (£72 for 1 adult and a 12 year old) bowling was around £30 and because we were a larger group the time cuts off at an hour and we hadn’t even finished the game. We also booked the paint a pot experience online, what we didn’t realise is the money you pay online is literally only your entry to the studio. You then have to pay for your chosen item you want to paint. We also did street karts and adventure golf and even though we’d paid for these things upfront they did not feel good value for money. I’ve heard other sites are better so I don’t think I would say never again but I’d be expecting a much better experience. On the plus side our kids loved the pancake house and the swimming pool
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,517 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    After our only visit I decided if I wanted to revisit an open prison I'd at least commit a crime and be sent there by a Judge.

Thankfully it was only a Friday to Monday break and we managed to 'escape' the place on the Sunday.
  • stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    Like Daveyjp, we've done Center Parcs but I wouldn't go back. Overpriced for what it is and virtually everything is an additional charge.

Accommodation was tiny (although I'm sure you can get bigger lodges).

Chaos with everyone arriving at the same time and queuing along the road which loops around the site to get to your lodge. We packed up and went home a day early in the end.

My opinion - it is like an "outdoorsy" activity holiday for people who don't really like the outdoors.

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid
  • nutjob666
    spadoosh wrote: »
    I love centre parcs, going again in December. My centre parcs experience though is limited to whinfell forest.

It seems to be suggested its quite pricey but i dont think it is and im typically quite budget restrained. Basically i clearly think its value for money.

Activities can be quite expensive but again seem to offer value for money for what we got.

The restaurants are definitiely on the higher side of pricing and they tend not to accept discount codes/vouchers, we took a starbucks voucher which couldnt be used at that site. Id recommend doing a shopping trip to take with you, its SC and well stocked so can choose to eat all food at your lodge if you want to save as much as possible but then the pancake house is worth a visit.

You can be on site before official check in time, so go as early as possible to maximise youre time there, same on the friday, people seem to leave really early so you can get a good quiet period on the friday afternoon if you can afford to leave later.

Thanks I shall pass this info on
  • nutjob666
    Mrsn wrote: »
    I went to Sherwood last October which was classed as term time holiday even though for us it was half term. The lodge was nice and the surroundings beautiful BUT I felt personally the activities are very overpriced for what they are. We did high ropes (£72 for 1 adult and a 12 year old) bowling was around £30 and because we were a larger group the time cuts off at an hour and we hadn’t even finished the game. We also booked the paint a pot experience online, what we didn’t realise is the money you pay online is literally only your entry to the studio. You then have to pay for your chosen item you want to paint. We also did street karts and adventure golf and even though we’d paid for these things upfront they did not feel good value for money. I’ve heard other sites are better so I don’t think I would say never again but I’d be expecting a much better experience. On the plus side our kids loved the pancake house and the swimming pool

Thanks,I shall pass that on,the add on prices may well be a concern
  • nutjob666
    daveyjp wrote: »
    After our only visit I decided if I wanted to revisit an open prison I'd at least commit a crime and be sent there by a Judge.

Thankfully it was only a Friday to Monday break and we managed to 'escape' the place on the Sunday.

Thanks I shall relay your opinion,like you say it was fortunate you were only on a short break
  • nutjob666
    stripeyfox wrote: »
    Like Daveyjp, we've done Center Parcs but I wouldn't go back. Overpriced for what it is and virtually everything is an additional charge.

Accommodation was tiny (although I'm sure you can get bigger lodges).

Chaos with everyone arriving at the same time and queuing along the road which loops around the site to get to your lodge. We packed up and went home a day early in the end.

My opinion - it is like an "outdoorsy" activity holiday for people who don't really like the outdoors.

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid

Thanks I shall relay the info to my friend,I hope it will be of help to them,it seems to be a pricey place
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,240 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There is very little close by apart from this.

https://www.forestryengland.uk/sherwood-pines

Closest supermarket is a couple of miles away ( Tesco ) and where ever you go locally it costs.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We love CP. Have been to all the UK ones, including multiple visits to Elveden, Sherwood and Woburn.

It's not a cheap break. But for £150pn, 4 people are getting a cottage to themselves with full self-catering facilities, free wifi included, and access to a great swimming area with slides, family raft rides, rapids etc. That's the one thing that is included in the price and absolutely worth making the most of - we make a point of visiting the subtropical swimming paradise every day.

If anyone in the family rides, it's worth taking bicycles as Sherwood is one of the better parks for cycling.

Just about everything else is chargeable. Costs can be minimised by self-catering rather than eating in the restaurants. And it's cheaper to take groceries with you than buy them at the onsite supermarket - although that's useful for anything that's been forgotten!

Costs for some activities do change over the course of a day. We've found that activities can be cheaper at times when fewer people want to use them. So we always book tenpin bowling for first thing in the morning - most of the lanes are still empty - 4 of us can fit in two games in 1 hour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure