Average gas and electric bill?

Options

Comments

• sweetcorn11
    Options
    i live in a small semi detached 3 bedroom property and no one is in in the day my wife is at colledge, i never have the heating on when i am in before i work in the afternoon. i have just had a gas bill which was from dec12th to feb 28th which was £230. considering we dont have the heating on in 2 of the bedrooms and the radiator in the other room only got fixed in mid january, is this bill correct. i think sometimes i am paying for the streets gas. oh i forgot to say the heating and water is all thats gas as everything else is electric........ please help
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    i live in a small semi detached 3 bedroom property and no one is in in the day my wife is at colledge, i never have the heating on when i am in before i work in the afternoon. i have just had a gas bill which was from dec12th to feb 28th which was £230. considering we dont have the heating on in 2 of the bedrooms and the radiator in the other room only got fixed in mid january, is this bill correct. i think sometimes i am paying for the streets gas. oh i forgot to say the heating and water is all thats gas as everything else is electric........ please help

Was the bill based on actual(not estimated) meter readings at the beginning and end of the period?

That said, for a period of 11 weeks for a 3 bed semi, over one of the coldest winters in recent times, a bill of only £230(£20 a week) is quite frankly low. Many people are paying double that amount.
  • Leanne_5291
    Options
    I am looking into buying a house with my partner and were not sure how much gas and electric were looking at paying out each month any ideas? 2 Adults in a 3 Bedroom house.
  • Cardew
    Options
    I am looking into buying a house with my partner and were not sure how much gas and electric were looking at paying out each month any ideas? 2 Adults in a 3 Bedroom house.

That is a 'how long is a piece of string' question as there are so many factors unknown.

Mainly:

Insulation in house.

Efficiency of boiler

Lifestyle - out at work a lot - baths or showers - how warm you like house etc.

I would budget for around £1000 a year.
  • dbmabz
    dbmabz Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £41 on electric and £66 on gas per month for a 4 bed detached property.

http://www.EnergyAverage.co.uk is a useful site if you want to compare your bills and consumption against the average figures
  • Johhny
    Options
    I just received my new combined gas and electricity monthly charge and its £189 a month!! this can't be right for a single person in a three bed mid terraced stone house who's out at work during the day, dishwasher is used most days and washing machine twice a week, windows are double glazed and roof insulated, heating in winter is on 6 -8am and 6 -10 pm.
  • Cardew
    Options
    Johhny wrote: »
    I just received my new combined gas and electricity monthly charge and its £189 a month!! this can't be right for a single person in a three bed mid terraced stone house who's out at work during the day, dishwasher is used most days and washing machine twice a week, windows are double glazed and roof insulated, heating in winter is on 6 -8am and 6 -10 pm.

It might be correct if you have a £1000 debit balance.

Is it/was it previously based on estimated meter readings?

More details needed
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Southern Electric: North west

2 bed semi Victorian with no cavity wall. V old G C heating boiler used minimal (yes, even last winter) Coal fire. Work from home 3 days a week in office with PC on all day.

Gas:£45
    Electric:£36

This is our new DD statement after giving a reading. I feel this is far too much for 2 people and no kids.
  • HeadingtonShark
    Options
    We are all electric, with Southern Electricity and Economy 7, and my monthly payment is £50 a month for a three-bedroomed semi. This covers all heat, light, and cooking, and my husband and I are at home most of the day.

I do find, however, that other people have their houses extremely hot, so maybe that explains the different amounts people pay.
  • milliebear00001
    Options
    Just had my first dual-fuel bill from EDF. It's for the last 7 months (don't ask!) and is for almost £800. I am thinking we will come out at about £1200 by next December given the lower usage over summer/autumn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure