Buying (a Van) off Gumtree Scam

Options
Bloblik
Bloblik Posts: 61 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
It appears there are lots of scams for people selling stuff, but couldn't see any Google results for those buying ... hope this helps someone avoid - what ever waited in-store at the end of the following 'payment process'.

Gumtree always recommend meeting in person and paying cash.
And if paying with paypal, I understand PP's T&C's do not cover you if you collect in person. The below is not for collection, but maybe someone knows how it would have worked, and can comment.

Searched Gumtree for a Van, found a bargain that had just gone online, Merc Sprinter 311 Van, 2013, 118k for just £2500.

Ad stated it was in Ecclesfield, South Yorkshire

Seemed too good to be true.

Last picture on ad stated 'selling for my mother' then an email address:
[EMAIL="rebbeca.kelber@gmail.com"]rebbeca.kelber@gmail.com[/EMAIL] for contact.
I tried calling the mobile number on the ad, but the number was unrecognised.
I emailed and received the reply few hours later:

On 18/03/2018 19:10, Rebecca Kelber wrote:

Hi xxx,
Thank you for your interest. I'm selling my Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2.1 CDI 313 LWB, 2013, with a 2,143 cc diesel engine, Manual, 2 Owners, 118,000 Miles, Full Service History. MOT Until 12/2018. All documents are in the original folders. 2 key fobs. The van is in perfect condition, it has no accidents, no damage, scratches or dents. HPI clear and is fully paid . I ask only £2,500 because I just finished an ugly divorce and I am very glad that I took it. For my husband this was the most precious thing that he had. He cheat me, although we have 2 kids together, anyway, I don't want to bore you with my life's story...
The only reason that I ask £2,500, is because I want to get rid of all those bad memories, so, I can start live my life again.
The van is in Exeter because I live here. As you can see from the pictures, the van is in perfect condition. From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay. I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services (I will receive the payment only after you receive and inspect the van and only if you agree to buy it). I will pay for shipping and handling (my ex buyer did not received his loan but he already paid for shipping costs ) so there won't be any additional shipping costs for you.
If you are interested in buying it, please provide me your full name, address and phone in order to register you as my buyer. I will wait your answer (if you are interested to buy) very soon.

P.S. I attach all my van pic.

Kind regards,
Rebbeca Kelber

Sent from my iPad

I emailed again to ask how the payment process then worked, I noticed the phone number had now changed on the ad to:
0121 706 966 - which is the West Midlands, no where near Exeter or South Yorkshire.
Noticed also the times of the emails appear odd, she sent the above email at 19:00 (my email client records it as being received at 23:00 - 4 hours to send an email ? or a time line difference? ), and the email before had a time stamp of 19:10, how can the second email received have come before ?

Forwarded Message
Subject: Re: Mercedes Sprinter VanDate: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 19:00:01 -0400From: Rebecca Kelber <rebbeca.kelber@gmail.com>To: xxxx Hello again xxx,

The van is already at the shipping company in Devon Exeter. All documents including logbook are already at the shipping company with the van. All documents are on my name, ready to be signed by the new owner. When I signed the contract with eBay they checked everything I can not ever sell a van that is not my property. The shipping is free because I supposed to ship the van to another buyer, then he told me that he don't have money to pay for it. He already paid the shipping charges. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job ( I'm a surgeon ) so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my van over the Internet. According with the eBay you have 3 days from the time you receive the van to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
Here is how it will work:
1. First of all I will need the following details from you:
-Full name and shipping address.
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both more informations about how we can complete this transaction. They will contact you regarding the shipping process and the arrival time.
4. eBay will start the shipping process and it will take up to 48 hours for you to receive the van. After you receive the van you will have 3 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the van. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment from eBay.
5. If you decide not to buy the van, then eBay will ship the van back to me (and you won't be charged for this). If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you. Have a good night!

Kind regards,
Rebbeca Kelber

Sent from my iPad

Following morning the ad had disappeared.

Received the above reply at 11pm, for a busy surgeon she has time that late at night to reply ??? I wonder if she was registered with the GMC (General Medical Council) as most surgeon's need to be.
I could ask - but life is too short - move on !

Comments

• lofielectronic
    Options
    Funny they keep mentioning eBay if they are selling on Gumtree. I guess when you are running multiple scams its hard to keep track.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,201 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a fairly obvious scam and one I doubt many would fall for. With your email address it isn't difficult to mock up a fake escrow service email which you pay, and that's the end of it.

Blatantly simple and as I said so obvious it surely can never be taken seriously, but the fact it still goes on shows someone must still be falling for it. The eBay comment is not o ly because it's a cut and paste used for eBay scams, but also to add a note of sincerity to it, to some more naive buyers using an eBay escrow payment service makes it seem legitimate.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve never seen the name “Rebecca” spelled in the way she has spelled it before, and I deal with people from all over the world, every day.

And I highly doubt that she’s a surgeon! :rotfl:
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    barbiedoll wrote: »
    I’ve never seen the name “Rebecca” spelled in the way she has spelled it before, and I deal with people from all over the world, every day.
    I would have thought that is the least obvious sign that this is a scam . If you do a google search - Rebbeca is fairly common
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    https://www.advancedbackgroundchecks.com/becky-kelber/G7010935724275839743

Strange thing is the page says emails protected but the google search provides other email addresses for that name, an aol one and the gmail one you have.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    Options
    From the language, grammar, back story and details given it's so obviously a scam I wonder why anyone would read beyond the first paragraph!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • nikkinoonooo
    Options
    Well theyre still at it.
    Theyve listed an Audi A4 today at the bargain price of £3500. My son emailed and got one back exactly the same as in the opening post, word for word apart from 'van' changed to 'car' and £3500 instead of £2500.
  • Bloblik
    Bloblik Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 April 2018 at 12:39PM
    Options
    And they have the cheek to re-advertise it today:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/this-is-a-beautiful-white-mercedes-sprinter-van/1293906919

The reg no is: KW63 BYN (if the gumtree add disappears again), the van is white, parked on a pea shingle drive in front of what looks like a country estate type property, with both doors open ...

they have been reported and a link to this MSE post sent, here's the ad:

This is a beautiful White Mercedes Sprinter van

City of London, Lon£2,500.00
    LONG WHEELBASE. HIGH TOP 313CDI Sprinter Van , The vehicle has had light use over the past year. Extremely reliable with 118005 miles, date of first registration 31.12.2013 with service history. Factory fitted metal bulk head, excellent conditions inside and out, tyres 80% , next MOT in December. 2 owners, Next MOT due 10/12/2018, Full service history, Long wheel-base, 3500kg payload, White, £3,000 No VAT to pay
    Ad ID: 1293906919

"I posted for my mother because she doesn't have a gumtree account.
    For more info please contact her:
    Email contact: Rebbeca.Kelber@gmail.com"
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Options
    Report the listing to Gumtree. We all know it's a scam but you might well save somebody else from being scammed.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    I remember when I was looking for a new vehicle I went to the place without an appointment and found the yard (because they wouldn't answer their phone) as I wanted to see the vehicles/seller in person.

It was a bit odd, locked gates to the yard with an intercom. Tried intercom about 5 times and eventually got told I'd come to wrong place (but wasn't told where the right place was). Then a chap appeared, not to see me, just happened to be on his way out in a van that I'd seen advertised by the same seller.

I asked if I could go and have a look round the vehicles for sale, he said no, they don't have any and the one he was driving was sold, he was just going to drop it off.

He asked me if I was the one calling his mobile as he said he didn't answer as he didn't recognise it. Odd I thought given if you are selling vans and cars you would answer to numbers you don't recognise.

Bizarre, needless to say I didn't buy from them. You do have to be careful these days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure