PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Gad to hear one of us is mar. I am back in bed with a fresh hot water bottle. I may stagger downstairs and make some toast later.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • whiteguineapig
    whiteguineapig Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    mardatha wrote: »
    Lovely snowy morning here and the resident blackbirds were lined up on the coalhouse waiting for their digestives at 5.30 :eek:
    I've been awake for hours and the daftest things going through my head. Re-vamping the back garden for my old age.. new shed, wee path, nice rose garden. Then you look out the window at it and your heart drops!!

Mardartha,
    I could have written the bit about the garden myself, we can dream!!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Aw, mar. You can make a start on it when Spring comes!

DS went into central London yesterday with an Irish friend, to watch the rugby on a big screen at a particular Irish pub. But the pub was crammed full, so they watched it at another one instead.
    He then went out last night, came back briefly around 0700 to --er--use the bathroom, and went out again, presumably for breakfast. That's what comes of my telling him he has an Irish Great-Granny on one side of the family and an Irish Great-Great-Great- Grandfather on the other :D I'm sure he'll reappear later!

monnagran I hope your nice couple do come back today. Sounds a bit of a muddle!

burtha thinking of you x

((HUGS)) to everyone on this snowy morning.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    We also have snow, it's pitching and still coming down. I've made tea and filled the stove up with coal.
    I'm back in bed, waiting for the boat to warm up.

Hugs to Karcher, everything's crossed for Monna, I hope Burtha is ok.

I miss my garden sometimes Mar, the tenants have ruined the decking by covering it in plastic and stacking boxes on it, heaven knows what the rest of it's like. They have been told they have to pay for the replacement decking, also that they cannot do it themselves, sounds mean I know but the husband talks a good jobs but is rubbish at doing anything.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    By contrast, we thought we were heading for autumn the other day, after seemingly endless rain the breezes were cool and we thought that was a sign. Then today it was summer again.

We tackled some gardening. After so much rain I've roped my hubby into weeding. Meanwhile I've been pruning jasmine, it grows like stink here, quite unruly. It was my first choice of plant here, I've always loved the smell. In fact, half my garden is planted for that (though originally I was going to plant edibles everywhere...), magnolia, camellia, jasmine, rosemary, thyme. If I could grow roses here I would, but it'd be a battle between me and the bugs.

I hope your couple come for another viewing Monna, fingers crossed.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • monnagran
    Good news. My lovely couple have come back with an offer. Not what I was hoping for but near enough to warrant serious consideration. A bird in the hand and all that. Following the EAs advice I am accepting in principle but leaving my house on the market until they have accepted an offer on their house and they have a solid chain behind them. It all looks very good.

I thought I would be euphoric but actually feel quite numb. Waiting until it sinks in I guess.

Hester, thank goodness you have someone else doing the managing on your house. I imagine that there are going to be fireworks along the line somewhere.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Congrats Monna. Maybe if you offer Millie as part of the deal they'll up their offer ;)
  • monnagran
    Good idea greenbee. Unfortunately they may find it a good reason to back out.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Congratulations monna I think it takes until something happens like a surveyor making an appointment or exchanging solicitors addresses.

I still have mixed feelings about DS moving out because if we both move at the same time he will not be able to help. I will have to get a decorator in before I move. I don't feel able to cope with moving and I will have no help. I don't feel I can pack everything myself but my lifetime of regular moving tells me, I should never trust a removal firm to pack. They could not care less if anything you possess gets there in one piece. The big national company just swept my possessions from shelves into a box. We packed a box specially labelled by them with everything we would need immediately at the other end. It turned up six weeks late.

We were on Isle of Anglesey which is much more rural than the Isle of White. We knew it was half day closing. The removal company packed the day before and we stayed at my mum's. The removal company turned up at our new house at 10.30 pm with six extra removal men who were all asking me at once "where do you want this" all at the same time. It was a three story house and they put things clearly marked Kitchen in a top floor bedroom everything was on the wrong floor.

We next used a very expensive local firm who absolutely the whole of Derby recommended, they damaged our newly decorated flat, every piece of furniture and most breakable items!

I will sort it somehow.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Monna Fingers crossed and have faith it goes the way it is intended. My DS2&DDiL are due to complete on their first bought home just before Easter
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family