PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Comments

• Still off here (but I'm cheating cos it's cosy in bed! Nose is cold tho!). ;)
  • gsoh, feel a bit guity, heating not on here as it's too warm! sat here in t-shirt, sweats and no socks, and still feel a tad warm:o, then again OH did spend the a particularly trying morning insulating the loft, it was done years ago, but after reading the preparing for winter thread thought it needed doing again, guess it really is making all the difference

mind you, what wasn't so mse was clearing up all that horrible stuff that seemed to have got everywhere, only for OH to break the hoover beyond repair, so that was another unbudgeted 70 quid:eek:, on the plus side though, the house has never been this cat fur free in 14 years:T

anne
  • House is a toasty 20 degrees. No need for heating to be on yet! :)
    Debt-free 27th July 2012!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    redlady_1 wrote: »
    Burner is going and so is the Eco fan. Its lovely here.

We've been looking at eco fans. Our burner is in a big inglenook and the inglenook gets warm but not so much of that heat comes out into the room. We have high ceilings too, so I always imagine any heat that does escape out of the inglenook into the room floats straight up to keep the pendant light warm :o:D

This morning it is GRIM outside,heavily grey, windy with the promise of rain. Its a chestnut toasing and mugs of hot chocolate sort of day, a day to toast things over the fire. I'm quite tempted to light the woodburner despite also wanting to hold on for a bit longer before lighting it when I'm here alone, but I'm going to have a bath first, see how I feel later this morning. I have closed the back door, which has been open every dry day since March, even though it hasn't rained yet....its just too cold!
  • Its fabulous here this morning,was'nt cold last night either.
    Mind you we have had the heavier quilt on though and have been quite comfortable so it must be chillier through the night.
  • Just been thinking.
    I spent last week on the south coast at my daughters and could'nt believe the mildness of the weather.
    Everyone,everywhere we went was moaning about the weather and how cold it was.
    We all thought it was fabulous.
    When the family come to stay with me they all think the weather is always so cold and especially damp up here in the north east.
    It does make me wonder just how different we perceive the weather and what we consider as cold.
    I no doubt our Scottish neighbours put up with a lot more than us in the north but to them its natural.
  • We live on the south coast Mrs T and think it's fabulous:T

I never, ever moan about the weather except when we have endless days/weeks of rain which just makes me miserable.
    Right now it's 21.5 in the living room, no heating has been on since March and won't be for quite a while yet. The back door is open most of the day, though even here the mornings and evenings are noticeably chillier so it's staying closed to keep the heat in till later in the day.
    Only last week we swapped having just a duvet cover for the actual duvet (10.5 tog)

We also had the loft insulated for free this summer and that's definitely making a difference, upstairs feels much warmer then before.
    And yes I do realise how lucky we are:)
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    :mad: woke up red hot as he's put the heating on again, just entered meter reads and we'e gone up to 10 units a day on gas. Bloomin men! It's not cold, he's got the heating set to come on at 20/21 degrees. I must work out how to reset that as he's sussed my trick of turning it off at the boiler
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • None on for us yet -our boiler is needing replaced and it's not likely to be this year anyway- would rather spend our money on doing nice things:o. It's really autumnal here in Scotland and has been for the last 2 weeks. I keep busy in the day and like to do a lot of walking/activities so tend not to notice till about 7pm that it's a little chilly. If I use the oven for dinner it really seems to warm the house up. Big cosy slippers and wooly cardis and a little blankie when we're watching TV. Will try to hold off popping on any heaters till October at least. Must have a look online at a new heater for DD as she always moans that it's cold, but she does tend to spend alot of her weekday evenings shut upstairs in the spare room studying and doing art so we should pamper her a little!!!
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • Just been thinking.
    I spent last week on the south coast at my daughters and could'nt believe the mildness of the weather.
    Everyone,everywhere we went was moaning about the weather and how cold it was.
    We all thought it was fabulous.
    When the family come to stay with me they all think the weather is always so cold and especially damp up here in the north east.
    It does make me wonder just how different we perceive the weather and what we consider as cold.
    I no doubt our Scottish neighbours put up with a lot more than us in the north but to them its natural.

That is an interesting point about how different people perceive the weather. Last week I commented to a colleague that it was getting chilly in the mornings and evenings and she said she was putting the heating on for an hour in the mornings. I don't plan to put ours on until it gets considerably colder than it is, and I really feel the cold. I just get up and get sorted and bathed/showered quickly and then I am fine. If I am cold I put a jumper on. We live in the same village, just a few streets apart.

Sometimes in the winter I go to other people's houses and I swelter because the places are so hot. Perhaps it is because I spend so much time out of doors through my job that I have got used to a lower temperature. We have a big house and I can't afford to heat it to such high temperatures.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback