Older and fitter

Options

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not yet - DH keeps hassling me to do so. Must try harder!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Arkers, how Long does it take to swim 1600 metres? That’s my target but I’m not too sure what sort of time I should be looking at.

Hi Boicca - re the 1600 metre swim on a good day 35mins on a bad day 45 (freestyle).
  • Arkers
    Options
    Mally - not teaching you to suck eggs, but Chuck is right. Get your arthritis checked out, there might be something the Dr's can offer you. My foot joint was arthritis and now it's fused it's a lot less painful. I believe RA is an auto-immune condition which can flare up at any time, can you rule out this condition?

I love your dog picture he/she is beautiful. Just found out my 14 yr old JR has a tumour. I have given the go ahead re amputation of his leg; with a lot of thought and soul searching as he has arthritis too. It's absolutely heart breaking when you have to make these choices. Not sure what I'm going to do without my dog walks or my dog.

Sorry, I know that I've just subscribed, but saw the lovely shot of your hound.

Bodyattack this morning - good fun.

Arkers x
  • Arkers
    Options
    Chuck, just spotted your lovely hounds too. Obviously a lot of dog lovers on here.

Arkers x
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jealous of older runners, I am 47 and have creaky knees. Please don't take offence but I am genuinely curious - do you older exercisers have aching joints and do you just get on with it? Or are you lucky enough to not have any joint problems?

I have bad knees and problems with my Achilles, sometimes wonder if I will still be able to lift weights and do high impact exercise in 10 years time.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    Options
    Jealous of older runners, I am 47 and have creaky knees. Please don't take offence but I am genuinely curious - do you older exercisers have aching joints and do you just get on with it? Or are you lucky enough to not have any joint problems?

I have bad knees and problems with my Achilles, sometimes wonder if I will still be able to lift weights and do high impact exercise in 10 years time.

I lost a lot of weight in 2010 / 11 and have mostly kept it off since. Along the way I took up cycling and it became more important to me than the weight loss. One of the benefits of cycling is the lack of impact. I've been doing a lot on a turbo trainer indoors this winter and am currently transferring to outdoors for my first event of the year on 16th of March.

At 10 years older than you I'm finding fitness gains harder to come by than they were at 50. My joints give some twinges, particularly first thing in the morning, but once they get going they don't complain the rest of the day. I'm sure the amount of exercise I do helps to keep problems at bay, rather than exacerbating them.
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    Options
    Please don't take offence but I am genuinely curious - do you older exercisers have aching joints and do you just get on with it? Or are you lucky enough to not have any joint problems?
    No offence taken. At 58, most of my joints are fine, but my left shoulder has an 'impingement' that is aggravated by repeated movements, particularly swimming and bodypump (lots of reps with weights). It's grumbled for about as long as I can remember, but is noticeably worse now that I have started visiting the gym regularly, so over the past three years.

Ice packs and the occasional ibuprofen more or less keep it at bay, but I'm permanently conscious of it while exercising, which is an annoyance. It also prevents me from ramping up the weights to increase the 'overload', so in that sense it's slightly limiting. Not too much though; I'm working close to my maximum even with that.

If it ever becomes too annoying and there's nothing to be done (for example, steroid injections), I'll see about cutting back on the weights and instead doing more of other exercises. Cycling, for example; no real shoulder stress there.

Yeah, it's irritating to have to deal with these twinges. I view it as my penance for not having done any formal exercise for the 35+ years between leaving college and retiring.
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    No problems here (aged 52) with joint problems but I have never run or jogged. Not really for me. I do wake up with the odd aches but once I get moving I'm fine. Friends the same age who dont do regular exercise complain of aching hips and aching in general so I think keeping moving is better than not doing anything.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Arkers wrote: »
    Chuck, just spotted your lovely hounds too. Obviously a lot of dog lovers on here.

Arkers x

Thanks, the red fox Labrador (looks more yellow) is my current dog Ozzie, the other one is Mills, he was my last dog (gone but not forgotten), he was a Labrador/Springer cross, I used to think that he was more like a Lab, but when we got Ozzie, I realised that he was more like a Spaniel than Labrador. I run with my dogs, Mills would always run by my side, but Ozzie is more independent and wonders off at times, but usually catches up with me.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have very noisy knees but they give me no pain - that will probably come later. I do have recurring plantar fasciitis and have also had tendon problems - physio said it's caused by weak calves/ankles.
    My leg muscles just refuse to do any more/faster running after a while so I don't tend to be too achey afterwards. Sort of self limiting. The biggest impact is that my ribs tend to ache the next day from all the heavy breathing!
    My avatar is Kira - she is coming up for 9. I also have a fluffier black & white Malamute called Mack who is 5. They are too fast/strong to try and run with. DH tried it once but had to give up and grab a lamppost!!!
    They don't go off lead and are bred to pull so its a non-starter really.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure